Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 7, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Processing Pumpkin Seeds

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?MGXZY 7 October 2013 Processing Pumpkin Seeds
Seeds were removed from four pumpkins and the seeds processed into a purée. This purée is highly nutritional. Slightly more than a litre was obtained and placed in small containers and frozen for long term storage.The purée is used as a supplement added to cereal for breakfast or it may be eaten as a snack.The purée has the consistency of table butter, and has a creamy flavour. The process is to remove seeds from the pumpkin, cook about an hour in a double boiler, strain water, put through a Champion Juicer to remove the seed pulp from the shell and store.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2013   #2
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durgan View Post
Seeds were removed from four pumpkins and the seeds processed into a purée. This purée is highly nutritional. Slightly more than a litre was obtained and placed in small containers and frozen for long term storage.The purée is used as a supplement added to cereal for breakfast or it may be eaten as a snack.The purée has the consistency of table butter, and has a creamy flavour. The process is to remove seeds from the pumpkin, cook about an hour in a double boiler, strain water, put through a Champion Juicer to remove the seed pulp from the shell and store.
Thank for sharing: you can also do this with a Cushaw Squash which has an extra gene than other winter squashes. It took me over 5 years to find this historical squash the Native Americans shared with the owners of my historical property to grow and survive with during the long winter months. When I finally found the historical seed in 2005. My husband took me to visit the Coushatta Indians in Texas "ON TI CHUKA" means Welcome. I learned so much from my visit with them while my Cushaws were growing back on this property as it grew here over 100 years ago. I learned so much from Coushatta Natives.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2013   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Thank for sharing: you can also do this with a Cushaw Squash which has an extra gene than other winter squashes. It took me over 5 years to find this historical squash the Native Americans shared with the owners of my historical property to grow and survive with during the long winter months. When I finally found the historical seed in 2005. My husband took me to visit the Coushatta Indians in Texas "ON TI CHUKA" means Welcome. I learned so much from my visit with them while my Cushaws were growing back on this property as it grew here over 100 years ago. I learned so much from Coushatta Natives.
I looked at the squash and there was not enough seeds to go through the process. I only wish I could get more pumpkin seeds readily. The residue obtained make a find supplement for a breakfast cereal.
Old October 15, 2013   #4
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Around here the value of a pumpkin drops to almost nothing on November 1. I'm thinking about scrounging some up for various uses.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2013   #5
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I usually post a request on Freecycle for leftover pumpkins, as long as they are not moldy. My chickens and turkeys love them. And if I'm lucky, there will be some uncarved ones too.
Old October 16, 2013   #6
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am going to try to use a mixture of my winter squashes as you did to make a Vegetable burger. With the seeds you do have much protein. Have you ever used your mixture for a veggie burger?
Old October 16, 2013   #7
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Never eat burgers.I tend to call my food "Injun Cooking". Everything in one pot. There is just me and my dog, Ginny, so I tend to keep things simple. Always looking for the magic nutrition pill so to speak.
Old October 16, 2013   #8
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Never eat burgers.I tend to call my food "Injun Cooking". Everything in one pot. There is just me and my dog, Ginny, so I tend to keep things simple. Always looking for the magic nutrition pill so to speak.
I but Ginny loves your cooking. You could add Cushaw in your garden for next year, they are more nutritional than many squashes. My dogs love all winter squashes, especially with any sauces on them.