Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 7, 2016   #1
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default Germination Longer or shorter varieties of note

I am wondering if anyone has noticed some varieties of Tomato

are notorious for longer germination .....??
I know there are many factors in germination to consider ....but all things being equal are there not some known varieties that take longer to germinate ??
Also are there not some varieties that will seem to germinate earlier in cool situations (sub 20 C) ????
I am going to look at my anecdotal notes from the past few years and see .

Does anybody have some Known Top 10 longer germination varieties ?
And some known Top 10 quicker germination varieties ????
Old March 8, 2016   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Ildi is known to be slow. (my own experience agrees with that assessment)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #3
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

In my last batch (T zero was Feb 12) of 50 varieties the stragglers were Solar Flare, Grigthmire's Pride, and Couer de Boeuf Bicolor. Almost a month before they came up.

An overnight soak w nutrients (and in some cases I've gone as far as 72 hrs) can be beneficial at speeding things up.

Fast ones were Rebel Yell, Sungold, Russian Soul, Zarca and Cosm Volkov (under 5 days).

In a big cell tray, watered from below, saran wrap, between the fridge and the freezer at night, sunny window during the day.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #4
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

This year small egg is freaking me out, every other tomato has their first or second leaf pair and this one just starts to germinating, you only see the tip of the root. Coincidence?
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #5
jbond007
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
In my last batch (T zero was Feb 12) of 50 varieties the stragglers were Solar Flare, Grigthmire's Pride, and Couer de Boeuf Bicolor. Almost a month before they came up.

An overnight soak w nutrients (and in some cases I've gone as far as 72 hrs) can be beneficial at speeding things up.

Fast ones were Rebel Yell, Sungold, Russian Soul, Zarca and Cosm Volkov (under 5 days).

In a big cell tray, watered from below, saran wrap, between the fridge and the freezer at night, sunny window during the day.
I concur. Solar Flare and Lucid Gem took 2 weeks for me to see seedlings.

Sungold was the first to pop up in 3 days.

These were with about 24 other seedlings in a cell tray with seed starting heat blanket below.
jbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I think seed quality and age has more to do with it than variety. Older, dryer seeds that have been dormant a long time take longer to germinate. I find fresh seed of any variety germinates faster.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #7
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I started some San Marzano Nano and they took around 3 weeks. I was just about to toss them.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post

Gerardo, how deep do you sow your tomato seeds?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #9
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Ah ha ! I am starting to see an anecdotal pattern from some of you in this general observation ...........All things being mostly equal for the germination observed over a couple years ...etc. I could not locate my last few years germination data (note books scribblers ?) BAH !.....but this year I can add the top germinators even in cool conditions....
even if it is consistent by a mere day ahead of the others (almost seems like a horse race).

Early germination : Venus, Vzrv, ditmarsher, Silvery fir , Nevsky, yaponski karlik, Cosmonaut Volkov

Later germination : some currant tomato varieties, the seeds can take longer to germinate,...like Little Julia .
I have had some impatience with Black cherry (but it's good this year) I have been told that smaller varieties and those suited to grow in containers, take longer to sprout – as much as 10-14 days. I think I will add YELLOW PYGMY to the list of extra patience needed...........

Later :
Old March 9, 2016   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Gerardo, how deep do you sow your tomato seeds?
I see Marsha's point here. Emergence from the planting medium or how many days until we can seed the seedlings coming up vs. actual germination time are two quite different things. Depth of sowing can make a significant difference in this regard.
I personally plant mine in moist medium about 1cm deep. I find a bit deeper planting requires the seedling to push it's way up through the soil (as I think nature intended) and keeps the seed coat moist reducing by far the number of so-called helmet heads because the seed coat comes off on the way through the moist mix.
I expect to see the emergence of any fresh and healthy tomato seed I plant within two weeks at the absolute latest.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2016   #11
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Default All things being equal ....

I put seeds in a single layer moistened paper towel (like seed tape ) and put on top of 4" pots and just a very light sprinkle of growing medium medium on top
...the pots have enough moisture (pre-moistened ) like a battery to get the seedlings to emergence ... I can add extra medium on top as the seedling grow if required. I err on the near surface germination as I have had delays from seeds being planted to deep as well. I agree with the point germination is not the same as "emergence" to monitor.
Old March 9, 2016   #12
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Max 0.5 cm, covered very loosely. Helmet heads get constant spitballs and gentle tweezer action a few days after they emerge.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #13
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Growing a few of my older seed stocks. Box Car Willie was very slow, but seed was 4 years old.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #14
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

The one tomato that so far has taken the longest time for me to germinate and even grow was Geranium Kiss. The annual plant Geranium takes along time to emerge and to grow. The tomato GK acted just like the annual plant. Took almost five weeks before popping up and that was after I put it outside under the shade house and just let the rain and mother nature do her thing.

Right now I am still waiting on Isis Brandy. I'm at 14 days for it.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2016   #15
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Going on 4 weeks, 1 Ildi out of 10...
Dancing with Smurf's 4 out of ten...
Mortgage Lifter 0 out of 18 ( my saved seed, must have screwed up) time to start over.
Matts Wild Cherry 0/18, still hoping one will sprout..

Last edited by pmcgrady; March 14, 2016 at 11:39 PM.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote