Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 13, 2017   #196
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I picked up my new trays from Walmart and they are NICE!!! I hate the thought of putting holes in them. Even the lid is nice.

The dimensions of mine are: 9*6 and 1.6" deep
The dimensions of the bottom are: 7*4.5

---
I sowed the peas a few days ago; I guess I put too much mix on top; it is like a volcano with the peas pushing up the mix. So cool. Maybe too many peas too.

Also trying beets for the first time. Germination seems to be excellent.

I love how the radish grows but would never do a big tray of it.

I need to try the buckwheat again; I ended up spreading the mild mix on top and left in the dark but not covered. The mild mix seems to be growing OK but is growing green not the yellow.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017   #197
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the trays are nice! So sturdy.
I started two 1010 trays last night to hit the target for a NewYears
party. A salad mix and a pea/sunflower/greens blend. Then I will retire
them and use the food storage trays only...(I keep saying that)

Just watched a Johnny's video where they topped the seed with a thin layer of
vermiculite. So I did that on one of my trays. It is weird when the sprouts lift the
soil.

Just did my 2018 order. I could squeak by through March with what I have but I'm
out of peas so went ahead and stocked up and added a few new ones. RedRambo
and Daikon radish and a new pea variety. Was ordering other things anyway.

Seems about 15 days seed-to-table for the arugula and spicy mix in my winter grow
climate. 10 days for the buckwheat mix...long gone (last of it with soup last night)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micros 15 days.jpg (220.2 KB, 122 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017   #198
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgardengirl View Post
I am giving many of the micro tomatoes away here in the next couple of weeks. I am hoping they stay under 12"!
I started a full tray last winter, 2-3 per cell, 1010 tray, so close to 70. F4's.
Culled, then maybe potted up about 3 dozen. Culled again. Topped a couple that
were too gorgeous to let go.

They should behave.

I'm guessing these are gifts. Fun to grow. Happy recipients for sure. Kept in one
gallon pots, slow growers, eventually they should last well into the summer, and will
really take off when they get spring sun, longer days.
Old December 14, 2017   #199
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing one of the KFollett Micro Tom plants too for several seasons now. I first started with a 13X but have been growing the 21X for 3 years now. If we start in August or anytime in the fall, we have until late May when the last fruit is set but if we start in the spring it is still the same timeframe. I started growing them in 3 Gallon Root pouches but now up to 5 gallon Root Pouches. I have 3 plants now and since it has been really cold at night (42-45), I have a few plants that I have been bringing in the garage to see if it makes a difference. One of the garage kept ones is a 21X ad apparently, it does matter.

Oakley, the Metallic tom (one in EB and one in 5 gallon RootPouch (and in the garage at night) are doing well. The 5 gallon RP one is definitely bigger. I even covered the EB for a few nights but the uncovered dwarfs did fine, so stopped.

Been getting lots of tomatoes from Chocolate Lightning and Big Beef are just starting to blush. Other than that, it's cherry tomatoes galore. I think the cool weather has slowed down the growth; they are definitely taking less water.

Oakley, is your new order from Johnny's? I don't want to get ahead of myself with seeds just in case, it's too hot come June and seeds are not viable next year.

Last edited by Barb_FL; December 14, 2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old December 14, 2017   #200
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

What is the optimum time under supplemental lights? I am using older T8's for the micros.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2017   #201
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgardengirl View Post
What is the optimum time under supplemental lights? I am using older T8's for the micros.
It seems to be similar to any other seed starting. Checking, paying attention.
Once at the two inch stage they get thirsty being so dense in the trays. They
have the food they need until set of true leaves, then I feed very dilute.

I don't use a timer or any 'traditional' time under lights like the 'lumens'
people. (lol). I do have two older lights and two last year purchased LED's.
Trays get danced around when watering. They love that South sun. Even if just
for a few hours. Leaves finally off trees now but skies have been overcast and
snowy. No expert. I just wing it. 8-12, sometimes more if I forget, sometimes
less if I forget. (I really should use those timers I bought last year)
Old December 15, 2017   #202
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Oakley, is your new order from Johnny's? I don't want to get ahead of myself with seeds just in case, it's too hot come June and seeds are not viable next year.
I was teased and tempted by sales and free shipping from other suppliers, but resisted
since I had a long standing 'cart' for other seeds I needed from Johnny's. Same with
MountainRoseHerb where I get my bulk spices. My 'cart' was still standing for months. Last
order was March. (still out of coriander and celery seed, grrr) must be crop failure.
First time ordering their sprout/micro seeds but excellent company all around.

I'm set for the season, maybe all year. (yeah right), always something. I find seeds last fine
for a year or two. I have some at least 2 yrs old and good germination. Fresh is always best
but bulk is so much cheaper for the ones I know I'll go through within a year.
My local health food store caries HighMowing seed. I often just cruise that display and might
find a new one to sample since they are just 4oz packets.

The seed police tell us salad/veg seed is not good year two, "toss it". Not my experience at all.
Just needs to be stored properly. On another gardening forum, a fella that comments on just
about every post, very set in his ways, would have been all over this thread. 'why would anyone
grow micro greens, why, a waste of seed', bla bla. 'who likes salad anyway?'

Last edited by oakley; December 15, 2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old December 25, 2017   #203
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Merry Christmas! I just spent some of my Christmas morning opening seed packets for my grandly designed 18-variety tray. I was going to have 18 different varieties but I set aside cilantro and parsley because they are so slow to germinate. I will be finding out soon how well the 16 varieties coordinate to sprout and grow in united fashion. Here's some shots of what I've got going. The small containers under lights are on their 11th day today so most are ready to harvest. I'll present them at Christmas dinner this evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18 part tray 122517.jpg (471.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 18 part tray layout 122517.jpg (160.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 20171225_095926.jpg (445.5 KB, 99 views)
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #204
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Very nice selection SalsaCharley! I got my little black trays which look smaller than yours. Could someone show me a photo of what size of slit they made for drainage?
Merry Christmas!
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2017   #205
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

How is the coir roll working out? If well, please post link or exact brand name.

I'm on my last bit of the Wonder Soil so willing to try something else.

I found that the pads that came with my kit work well if I add small amount of ferts. when they go outside.

Update: Did my 2nd go round with the Buckwheat seeds; made it super dense and it is still sparce; but those that do germinate get tall really fast.

Peas and SunFlower OTOH are vigorous and thick.

Duds so far:
BuckWheat seeds
Swiss Chard - TBD
Beets - TBD

Swiss Chard and Beets have only been tried once, so the jury is out.
Old December 25, 2017   #206
bower
Tomatovillian™

Salsacharley that looks so good!!! I had it in my mind, you know how long ago, to get the micros happening in time for Christmas. Still got nothing.
I'm worried about my old lights, which are identical to (and made by same manufacturer) as a bunch that were recalled for causing fires etc. The bulbs fall out if you're not really careful. I think I should replace em, whether they take them back as recall or not.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017   #207
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've been excited about this thread for over a year and finally decided to jump in with whatever supplies I had on hand and two packets of Botanical Interests microgreen seeds purchased yesterday at the local health market.

I was searching for a comparison of microgreen pea seeds with regular pea seeds and I came upon this gentleman sowing seeds. He is growing Tall Telephone. I thought it was unique since he harvested shoots and the plants went on to grow pods

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbRXtJJrxsw

I also read that only sweet peas such as Dwarf Grey Sugar should be used for growing microgreens to avoid illness. Any further information on illnesses and what should not be used? An internet urban legend?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2017   #208
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
How is the coir roll working out? If well, please post link or exact brand name.

I'm on my last bit of the Wonder Soil so willing to try something else.

I found that the pads that came with my kit work well if I add small amount of ferts. when they go outside.

Update: Did my 2nd go round with the Buckwheat seeds; made it super dense and it is still sparce; but those that do germinate get tall really fast.

Peas and SunFlower OTOH are vigorous and thick.

Duds so far:
BuckWheat seeds
Swiss Chard - TBD
Beets - TBD

Swiss Chard and Beets have only been tried once, so the jury is out.
I'd like to know about the coir roll too. I started microgreens (indoors obviously as its 20 below here) in Burpee Organic Garden Coir. It had a nice texture; not too small and dry. They're germinating over the DVD player with a towel to keep then warm. Not ready to pull out the heat pad for a just strawberry clamshell.

- Lisa

the Botanical Interests mix was about half sprouted as of this morning and I moved them to the windowsill
I put the clamshell under shop lights at sundown tonight
peas are still soaking

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; January 1, 2018 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Update
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #209
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Lisa,

I believe the pea thing is an urban legend. I've been growing pea shoots for about 5+ years now and switched from Dwarf Grey long ago as the seeds were too expensive even in bulk. We get "field peas" from the local coop in 50 lb bags. They are grown as cattle feed or a cover crop around here. But when I first switched I had some of both types and had a couple of chefs taste both and they actually liked the flavor of the field peas better. We go thru 2-3 bags / year.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2018   #210
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I did take a screen shot of this info about pea varieties.
The ytube title is present if you want to watch the entire
link. I researched a while ago and found this in my micro
green folder.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pea shoot toxic.jpg (356.8 KB, 47 views)