Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 20, 2019   #76
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemansker View Post
I've been interested lately in solid state lithium battery technology. I think this might be the EV breakthrough that can make owning an EV more practical than owning a regular car. Solid state isn't a reality yet. If it comes to market, it can offer much longer range, more energy storage for the same size, safety, and up to 23,000 recharge cycles.

I know that many things have been promised and not realized with new batteries, but some big automakers are investing big bucks in companies working on the technology.

A few years ago, an electric vehicle with a 300 mile range was a pipe dream. Tesla now sells a car with a 370 mile range (your mileage may vary). It's expensive but so were flatscreen tv's. The first ones were tens of thousands of dollars. I bought a 55 inch 4k tv last week for $300.00.

I know several automakers plan to offer new EV's for 2020. I think it's an exciting time.

Worth, I don't know if this is anything that interests you, but you might have much more insight than I do about the technology involved and its chances for success.

Might as well forget about lithium and any other rare earth mineral in which China controls over 90 percent of the rare earth market and will use as a weapon in this idiotic trade war. Some people really believe that those companies in China are gonna pack it in and head back to the United States.

Let me know when they all start coming back LOL

Meanwhile we consumers are are paying more for everything from shampoo to cars.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #77
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

Lithium is not a rare-earth mineral, and not really rare. There are huge deposits in Chile, Argentina, and Bolivian in the Andean solt-flats. Also in the US and Australia (as much as in China). A large deposit was recently found here in Serbia, and a Rio Tinto mine is under planning.

The global oil industry is already feeling the effects of switch-over to electric vehicles. The cause is not private cars, but electric buses, mainly in China. Shenzhen's whole huge fleet of buses is completely electric, and other Chinese cities are following.

Last edited by arnorrian; July 20, 2019 at 06:37 PM.
arnorrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #78
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Neodymium is, and is used in the electric motors these cars run on as well as hard drive motors.
It is mined in a fashion that most Americans would not, nor do allow at a huge expense to the environment in the countries that do mine it and other minerals.

Comparison.

Then.
Hollywood movie stars in the 70's and 80s snort cocaine up their nose with little regard to where it came from or the lives it destroys.
And at the same time touting save the planet and save the children.

Now.
Same Hollywood movie stars IF they lived through the 70's and 80's cocaine snorting.
Drive Tesla cars touting save the planet save the children.
With little regard to the environment and destruction of it to mine the minerals they need to have that car.

I am not as I said, against the idea, I am against the hypocrisy of it.

It isn't just about the climate it is about everything.
Our forests, our rivers, our farm lands, our animals and most of all the people we effect with the things we want.

If you can admit you dont care or at least willing to try and do something about it then I can live with it.
Honesty goes a long way with me.

We as the most powerful nations people on earth whether we like it or not have some accountability for our consumption.

In other words if you eat meat you better be willing to kill the animal you are eating.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2019   #79
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

Rare earth element mining does much less damage than fossil fuel mining. When the market gets saturated with electric cars the recycling of old cars with start to lower the demand for mining, likely significantly.
Old July 20, 2019   #80
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not here to debate or argue what is better or worse just trying to get people to think critically and look at the big pictuer.
What really is worse, the little creek a few kids cant swim in or the big river many kids cant swim in.
To me they are the same, I dont count human life or any life by the numbers but by the individual.

I recently had a discussion with a lady my age.
Everything she said or thought I could counter every move just from knowledge she didn't have and by asking her questions.
Not to get into the subject but I got her to admit she created her own ideology out of thin air and cherry picking to fit her needs.
We all do and I do too.
She has known me for 40 years or more and should know better.
We have been and always will be friends.
Old July 21, 2019   #81
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

The big picture is that if we as a species don't get our act together Homo sapiens will be extinct in the next 200 years. And we will take with us millions of other species.
Old July 21, 2019   #82
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

To save our future we must look into our past no matter where it leads us and accept the truth no matter what it is.
Right now there are several billion people on this planet not willing to accept the truth.
Old July 21, 2019   #83
bower
Tomatovillian™

What is amazing to me, is to be living at a time when we have the technical means to see and grasp the whole global situation. When the localized effects are so variable - and late to show, meaning we could have acted much sooner but confirmation was missing - you would not have a clue that something so serious was going on, just from one place on the ground. Having internet too means unprecedented access to the information - but still there is the disinformation issue that puts people back in the dark of denial. It's a shame the issue has been politicized, which has such profound consequences for everyone. One reason I posted this thread is because I rarely see news about climate issues outside of North America. I have to dig to find out what is happening in Europe, let alone the rest. I want to know how it's looking to farmers and gardeners in every place.

Meanwhile, I read recently some hopeful research about the role of reforestation, to stabilize the climate of the future. That is assuming that other measures are taken to quell the emissions, it seems that available land (excluding farmland) which could be forested, has the potential to absorb a lot of the present CO2 overload. They looked at land the whole world over and created a map of the places where forestation could be done. I haven't checked my area yet but there is supposed to be an interactive map on here where you can zoom in and see what they found in your area.
https://www.crowtherlab.com/
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #84
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
What is amazing to me, is to be living at a time when we have the technical means to see and grasp the whole global situation. When the localized effects are so variable - and late to show, meaning we could have acted much sooner but confirmation was missing - you would not have a clue that something so serious was going on, just from one place on the ground. Having internet too means unprecedented access to the information - but still there is the disinformation issue that puts people back in the dark of denial. It's a shame the issue has been politicized, which has such profound consequences for everyone. One reason I posted this thread is because I rarely see news about climate issues outside of North America. I have to dig to find out what is happening in Europe, let alone the rest. I want to know how it's looking to farmers and gardeners in every place.

Meanwhile, I read recently some hopeful research about the role of reforestation, to stabilize the climate of the future. That is assuming that other measures are taken to quell the emissions, it seems that available land (excluding farmland) which could be forested, has the potential to absorb a lot of the present CO2 overload. They looked at land the whole world over and created a map of the places where forestation could be done. I haven't checked my area yet but there is supposed to be an interactive map on here where you can zoom in and see what they found in your area.
https://www.crowtherlab.com/
Great map!

And I selected right without knowing better . . . I have planted Acer Rubrum on my property!

I understand that man has the ability to end everything horribly - I saw all the school movie "horror education films" as a kid in the 60s and 70s. OTOH, overall we live in the most prosperous, safest time ever. Need to celebrate a little amidst the doom and gloom! Just MHO.

Jeff
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #85
arnorrian
Tomatovillian™

Old July 21, 2019   #86
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Here is a simple mathematical solution from one of the smartest on the planet

P x S x E x C = CO2

He says one has to get to close to zero to save the planet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpSMGxnpCmo

May already be to late and require the Thanos solution unfortunately

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxBKIT_TOC0
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #87
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We need a video break after that scare, warn people the next time.

https://youtu.be/zVCvn6lq_Tw
Old July 21, 2019   #88
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
Great map!

And I selected right without knowing better . . . I have planted Acer Rubrum on my property!

I understand that man has the ability to end everything horribly - I saw all the school movie "horror education films" as a kid in the 60s and 70s. OTOH, overall we live in the most prosperous, safest time ever. Need to celebrate a little amidst the doom and gloom! Just MHO.

Jeff
Serendipity!! I have to get into that map too... my woods needs management.
I agree that one must appreciate the amazing things resulting from present culture, tbh I have a lot of optimism that really good solutions may be found, now that the need is recognized.
@ Worth, hear hear! The future of whiskey is upon us.
@ Arnorrian ROFL
There's no survival without a sense of humor, that much I know for sure...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #89
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Unfortunately Bourbon causes climate change.
Fortunately if you drink it you won't care.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2019   #90
RainCoast
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnorrian View Post
Lithium is not a rare-earth mineral, and not really rare. There are huge deposits in Chile, Argentina, and Bolivian in the Andean solt-flats. Also in the US and Australia (as much as in China). A large deposit was recently found here in Serbia, and a Rio Tinto mine is under planning.

The global oil industry is already feeling the effects of switch-over to electric vehicles. The cause is not private cars, but electric buses, mainly in China. Shenzhen's whole huge fleet of buses is completely electric, and other Chinese cities are following.
Not only buses in Shenzhen but also all of the 22000 taxis there are now electric since January 1 2019.
RainCoast is offline   Reply With Quote