Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 10, 2016   #1501
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hubby and I tasted some tomatoes side by side and Rose De Berne was the winner. A lucious pink about tennis ball sized. Pictured here next to a Costoluto Genovese.

Ella did you like it? I think you grew it this year right?

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2016   #1502
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I am growing it. I do like the taste. They resemble Eva Purple Ball by the taste and size, but they are not the same variety. I grew EPB few years ago and its fruits were easy to fall off the stem, I learned not to touch them until ready to pick.
I picked 8.6 pounds of Rose De Berne so far. Good producer. In July I picked about 3.5 pounds and the rest since that. The only concern I have is its size. In my garden they are on average 3.8 ounces, Tatiana's website has it at 6-8, rareseeds.com at 4-8. So my are a bit smaller. They are next to Daniel's, that is averaging 9.988 ounces. So, you can not blame soil or sun.
How are they for you?

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2016   #1503
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I am growing it. I do like the taste. They resemble Eva Purple Ball by the taste and size, but they are not the same variety. I grew EPB few years ago and its fruits were easy to fall off the stem, I learned not to touch them until ready to pick.
I picked 8.6 pounds of Rose De Berne so far. Good producer. In July I picked about 3.5 pounds and the rest since that. The only concern I have is its size. In my garden they are on average 3.8 ounces, Tatiana's website has it at 6-8, rareseeds.com at 4-8. So my are a bit smaller. They are next to Daniel's, that is averaging 9.988 ounces. So, you can not blame soil or sun.
How are they for you?
Ella,

I just weighed them and the largest in the picture is 5 ounces and smallest is 2.2 ounces so not so big. I am growing just one plant of it this fall because to me it taste better than other early ones i have tried like Stupice and Jaune Flamme but just as productive. Since it is smaller and so productive its a good early one to share with neighbors while the others are still waiting to ripen... :-)

Was yours early also?

Ginny
Old August 10, 2016   #1504
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

It was not the first to ripen. Black varieties were earliest this year.

Grightmire's Pride was earliest pink, as far as I remember. Are you growing it? It is tasty and productive too.
Rose De Berne was more midseason for me.

Last edited by efisakov; August 10, 2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old August 10, 2016   #1505
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Yes I cant wait to try GP. Marsha sent me seeds last year and twice (last fall and this past spring) i have started the seeds and then had something happen. Long story but looking forward to trying it this go round. Maybe i should just go with 3 or 4 GP and skip Rose De Berne. GP is heart and I love hearts, bigger size, productive earlier and gets rave reviews.

Now that I think about it i bought my plants from Wolffs for here and some were much bigger already than others when I planted them out. The bigger ones started setting fruit earlier so it just made them seem earlier because they were older and bigger when I planted them out.

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old August 10, 2016   #1506
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Same here, I was planning to set out earlier just one tomato bed (12 plants). Started seeds Feb. 17, the rest were started 18 days later. I checked the weather and decided to go all inn. Planted them April 21. Mothers day planting time is the recommended for our area.
Ginny, the time you start seeds is important. The other thing that is as equally important is how early this varieties are?

Old August 11, 2016   #1507
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Yes agreed Ella. Through trial and error I realized mine do better if I start them in late July and plant out in Sept. Like Kay said as long as they are hardened off they are fine because it has cooled off by the time they set blossoms. I started way too many of each kind.

These are my fall seedlings. I only need about 35 and I started about 10 of each type. I was paranoid after what happened to my seedlings last fall I guess. I started them and left them with my mom while I went on a two week business trip and when I got back they were fried.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; August 11, 2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old August 11, 2016   #1508
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Some tomatos and a couple cukes I picked last night and this morning. Silly me, i thought that big Wes tomato would be well over a pound but its just a smidge over. If it was a beefsteak instead of a heart it would be heavier because of all of the extra fluids that a beefsteak has I think.

Not complaining. Just was surprised at the weight compared to how big it is.

Pic of the top sides... no cracking or anything.

Last edited by Fiishergurl; August 11, 2016 at 08:08 AM.
Old August 11, 2016   #1509
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Hey all is it time for a new Florida thread since we are starting our Fall crops?

Ginny
Old August 11, 2016   #1510
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Lets not, Ginny. This one has a sticky.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2016   #1511
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default YELLOW STICKY TRAP < $12 for 15

Finally - they have been close to $17 for a long time now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2016   #1512
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
Larry, I plant my tomatoes around mid August. I use to wait until September but we do get occasional freezes here so I like to get a head start to get as many tomatoes as possible. As long as I have them properly hardened off I don't worry about the heat because that is not an issue until they are blooming.
Kay,
Thanks for the info. I think I will go earlier for this fall. I may get a few in this week end and possibly more in later this month. We had a low of 73 this morning, it felt good.
Larry
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2016   #1513
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Barb. I just ordered 2 packs. $22.45 including shipping.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2016   #1514
AudreyFL
Tomatovillian™

Default Seed starting

Hi everyone!

We were away for the summer and am just now planning to start tomato seeds. I was looking through old posts here and saw the recommendation for Park Seed Biodome. Is that what you all have found works best? This is my 2nd tomato season and had mixed luck last year alternating between jiffy pots, recycled 6-Pack black plastic pots from Home Depot prior veggie purchases, and cheaper dome products.

Wondering if starting seeds directly in 4" pots and just transplanting once into permanent container is recommended. (Since I won't of course need grow lights and things like our northern friends need...)

And thanks for the heads up on yellow sticky traps sale on Amazon. Just ordered!

-Audrey in Jupiter
AudreyFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2016   #1515
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyFL View Post
Hi everyone!

We were away for the summer and am just now planning to start tomato seeds. I was looking through old posts here and saw the recommendation for Park Seed Biodome. Is that what you all have found works best? This is my 2nd tomato season and had mixed luck last year alternating between jiffy pots, recycled 6-Pack black plastic pots from Home Depot prior veggie purchases, and cheaper dome products.

Wondering if starting seeds directly in 4" pots and just transplanting once into permanent container is recommended. (Since I won't of course need grow lights and things like our northern friends need...)

And thanks for the heads up on yellow sticky traps sale on Amazon. Just ordered!

-Audrey in Jupiter
I bought a Biodome from PS and hated the spongy things. I do use the bottom green tray and the top dome for car transporting but I sow in the bigger the 6 cell packs with pro-mix. IF you want a tray and dome, you can find one way cheaper than PS.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote