Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 3, 2014   #1
Jkinzer4
Tomatovillian™

Default Opalka wilting

My tomatoes are in rows of 20 plants each. The opalka row gets sun all day the other rows get shade for approximately 2 hours. The opalka are wilting down by evening I checked for bacteria wilt (stem in glass of water) no white from stem appeared. I water with a soaker hose. Is this normal? I have never noticed plants wilt like this before and it is the entire row.
Jkinzer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #2
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Opalka tends to be a bit wispy. Not as wispy as German Red Strawberry or Fish Lake Oxheart, but you think it is getting ready to die. Then it sets a bunch of bomb shaped fruit and you wonder how a weak little plant can pump out so much fruit. I think its just normal for this variety. Take care that you don't overwater.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2014   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkinzer4 View Post
My tomatoes are in rows of 20 plants each. The opalka row gets sun all day the other rows get shade for approximately 2 hours. The opalka are wilting down by evening I checked for bacteria wilt (stem in glass of water) no white from stem appeared. I water with a soaker hose. Is this normal? I have never noticed plants wilt like this before and it is the entire row.
If it's only the Opalka plants what was the source of your seeds, if you raised the plants yourself or plants, if you bought plants.?

When the plants wilt, do they recover by the next morning?

Carolyn
Old June 3, 2014   #4
Jkinzer4
Tomatovillian™

Yes they recover by the next morning but seem to be wilting worse. I ordered my seed from tomato growers supply.
Old June 4, 2014   #5
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkinzer4 View Post
Yes they recover by the next morning but seem to be wilting worse. I ordered my seed from tomato growers supply.
In my experience, Opalka wants to grow like this:

Fallbrook-20140527-00094.jpg

The leaves want to grow down and if you want it to grow straight up, you really have to prune it to just a couple of stems and stake it carefully. They seem to want to grow sideways, rather than up.

But the fruit sets look like this:

IMG-20140527-00096.jpg
It is a beautiful tomato. Can't wait to taste it.

Last edited by VC Scott; June 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old June 4, 2014   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I don't understand thewilting worse in the AM but I too wonder if you're referrring to the droopy leaves that Opalka has.

It's a variety I introduced, see the following link:

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Opalka

And here's a Google search for you and you might want to see how many sites say droopy looking leaves, and be sure to click on the IMAGES link as well:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Opalka+tomato

You;ll see lots of link references, with me saying that when I got it from Carl Swidorski that it didn't have wispy, droopy leaves. But if that's what others have been getting, and I often wonder if folks, seeing it as a paste variety just assume it has to have wispy droopy leaves, as so many paste varieties do have. But yes, I have seen thepictures that others put up as well.

I saw the entry for TGS in that Google search, where you got your seeds from, and Linda also said wispy droopy leaves.

Whatever, many folks think it's a great paste variety, and I concur, and thanks to Carl for giving me the seeds, and more importantly to his wife Mary, whose family brought it from Poland all those years ago.

Carolyn
Old June 4, 2014   #7
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I have Oplaka's growing in a row right next to cherokee purple, I can see that row from my house, and every time I look, I see the Opalka "wilting" and the Cherokee purple looking great. However, part of that is an illusion. The topmost leaves, when they very young, point upward, but as they mature they go from pointing up to pointing down...all the way down. I have some leaves like 20 inches up the plant whose tips touch the ground. Anyway, as the leaves transition from pointing up to pointing down, they give the appearance of wilt. If the plant where really water stressed, The growing tip would be flaccid.

All this being said, Opalka, in my garden, seems especially prone to blossom end rot. So don't just assume your Opalka is crying for attention and ignore it, it does need even moisture or you will get whole trusses of ruined fruit.

As an aside, I have noticed that the Leaves of Opalka can actually form a little twist to grab hold of support, I have never seen another variety that does this.

Also, people compare the leaves to Oxheart's, The one Oxheart I grow (Fishlake), holds it's leaves out horizontally (or slightly below the horizontal), not at all like my Opalka, which holds its Mature leaves vertically downwards.

Last edited by Stvrob; June 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2014   #8
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I have Oplaka's growing in a row right next to cherokee purple, I can see that row from my house, and every time I look, I see the Opalka "wilting" and the Cherokee purple looking great. However, part of that is an illusion. The topmost leaves, when they very young, point upward, but as they mature they go from pointing up to pointing down...all the way down. I have some leaves like 20 inches up the plant whose tips touch the ground. Anyway, as the leaves transition from pointing up to pointing down, they give the appearance of wilt. If the plant where really water stressed, The growing tip would be flaccid.

All this being said, Opalka, in my garden, seems especially prone to blossom end rot. So don't just assume your Opalka is crying for attention and ignore it, it does need even moisture or you will get whole trusses of ruined fruit.

As an aside, I have noticed that the Leaves of Opalka can actually form a little twist to grab hold of support, I have never seen another variety that does this.

Also, people compare the leaves to Oxheart's, The one Oxheart I grow (Fishlake), holds it's leaves out horizontally (or slightly below the horizontal), not at all like my Opalka, which holds its Mature leaves vertically downwards.
Stvrob, you nailed the description. You can see in my picture above how the leaves grow downward.
Old June 4, 2014   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

VC They also grow well upright, clipped to a vertical hanging string. The vertical hanging leaves seem to protect the fruit pretty well in that position
Old June 6, 2014   #10
Jkinzer4
Tomatovillian™

Stvrob I think you hit it. This is my first year for the opalka and I think I am worrying to much they are blooming and the leaves are not curling. The plants are continuing to grow I am looking forward to juice and sauce from them.
Old June 6, 2014   #11
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Are either of you having blossom end rot problems with your Opalkas? That is my only gripe about the variety, usually it outgrows the condition quickly, but for some reason this year It is still turning up on new fruit.
Old June 6, 2014   #12
Jkinzer4
Tomatovillian™

Mine are just now blooming will be a little bit before I know.
Old June 6, 2014   #13
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Are either of you having blossom end rot problems with your Opalkas? That is my only gripe about the variety, usually it outgrows the condition quickly, but for some reason this year It is still turning up on new fruit.
I have no blossom rot this year on any of my 70 plants. Last year San Marzano was a big problem. That is why I switched to Opalka this year. The only other thing I changed is that this year I am using Texas Tomato Food.
Old June 7, 2014   #14
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

from what I've seen this season the only thing that looks more pitiful is Anna Russian. Whilst my opalka has had droopy leaves, the AR has basically disappeared under the surrounding growth of the other tomatoes. It has consistently grown almost parallel to ground.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote