Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 21, 2013   #1
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Default Russo Sicilian Togetta

I saw a reference to this tomato in another thread today on paste tomatoes that described it as a meaty tomato with few seeds. I am wondering what other members impressions of it are as when I grew it last year...when I dipped them in boiling water and removed the skins, what was left was a bag of little meat and a lot of seeds. It added good flavor, though, to sauces, etc. But, I am wondering if maybe I have the wrong RS tomato. It looked like a smaller version of Costoluto Genovese. Thanks!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #2
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I've grown it from two sources and that's what I get as well. It does have nice flavor but it's too much work for what I get production wise for me compared to the larger sausage type pastes.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #3
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Chris, I will be donating LaRoma Hybrid tomato plants to your church sale this spring. The peppers will be Bell Boy.
Dutch

Last edited by Dutch; March 21, 2013 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Added the words plants and sale
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2013   #4
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Marktutt: Thanks for the confirmation about RS. I, too, have developed a preference for the larger sausage pastes as well as the hearts!

Doug: Thanks so much for the plants last yr, and the offer for this yr, which I will gladly take you up on. Just let me know when they are ready. I will be in TX Apr. 16-26, but will be around after that. We are growing Champs II this yr, as well as a few other hybrids and more heirlooms. Last yr, we put your Champs plants out for the sale and they all sold and we planted some in the church garden, which we will do again, and they were great producers. We had a record amount of donations to the food pantry. So, thanks again!
Chris
Old March 25, 2013   #5
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Farmette, I found them a bit small, very seedy and a bit juicy. Flavor was excellent though. However, for sauce and drying, I'm sowing other big paste types this year to grow.
Old March 25, 2013   #6
z_willus_d
Tomatovillian™

I have the strain that brokenbar was touting and sharing a while back. She certainly lauded it as an excellent sauce builder (as I recall). I will say out of a field of 10+ sauce types, for whatever reason it was one of around 5 that I decided to grow again this year. Honestly, though, now I don't recall the seed to meat ratios or flavor for that matter. I just know that it made the cut by some goodness. I'll be keeping far better records this year, so we'll see how she does. BTW, last year I had a computer crash and lost a load of data on my seeds and other related notes.

Naysen
z_willus_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #7
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

My source was also BrokenBar, My RST tomatoes were very similar to the Costoluto Genovese I grow, but the fruits were smaller. Seedy, but the flavor was good from the few that matured..I had a terrible garden year in 2012. Most of my outdoor tomatoes did poorly.. So I did not get enough fruit from RST, to make into sauce, to compare with others.
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2013   #8
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I plan on growing it again, in spite of all the seeds, because I did like the taste and will continue to use it in sauces, etc. Thanks for all the replies.
Old March 30, 2013   #9
dice
Tomatovillian™

If I recall correctly, Costoluto Genovese was the one she touted
for making the best sauce. All of those varieties in her seed offer
she probably used in her wine-soaked dried tomato business.
Russo Sicilian Togetta she liked for its toughness as a plant, while
still having good flavor. In extremes of weather, it was the one
cultivar she had that was most likely to pull through.
Old March 30, 2013   #10
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I use CG for sauce and RS for sauce and dried, but it had a lot of seeds for dried too. My comments were because someone had a different experience than mine...it is in another thread somewhere. Its a good tomato.
Old March 31, 2013   #11
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Yes, I use CG for sauce and RS for sauce and dried, but it had a lot of seeds for dried too. My comments were because someone had a different experience than mine...it is in another thread somewhere. Its a good tomato.
You're probably referring to mine, and I now realize I was mistaken. I did have a number varieties that were very shy on seeds, but you're right--RST wasn't one of them. Despite the seeds, though, I did find them to be extremely dense and dry. When I can tomatoes, I cut out the core then give them a squeeze to get rid of some seeds and gel before they go into the pot. When I did this with the RSTs, I was still left with a dense and meaty ball of tomato flesh--they didn't squish down like some others. That, and the fact that the plants produced a huge amount of fruit compared to all other varieties last year was what I loved about them. Sorry for the confusion.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2013   #12
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

No problem...I too found them to be one of the most prolific tomatoes I grew. Maybe my practice of dipping RS into boiling water c aused the meat to shrink somewhat...I am comparing it to others such as Big Beef which really kept its shape. But, anyway glad to know we are talking about the same tomato. Thanks for you reply.
Old May 29, 2014   #13
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Russo Sicilian is an irritating tomato. It grows big, sure, but its main stem is ropy and unable to hold up the weight of the fleshy leaves, so you have to support it every 5 inches along the way up. It loves to branch and branch. The branches are heavy and break off easily. The leaves are fleshy and the aphids like them.

This is the first year I am growing Russo, on the strength of brokenbar's dried tomato recipe, and I see many blooms, but it is a really irritating plant.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2014   #14
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

I 've grown, and like very much, the Russo Sicilia Togeta (also originally from BrokenBar). Mine have been on the small side -- both the tomatoes and the plants -- not monsters at all, but *very* prolific and continuing to bear even in the early fall weather -- which can be pretty cold here. Shape of mine was not much like Costoluto Genovese. Russo's hide had sharper 'points' on the extrusions, while Costoluto's were more rounded.

I would not try to remove the skins. While many roundish tomatoes hold their shape well when dipped in boiling water, then peeled, I can't imagine that a tomato shaped like Russo, with much of the meat in the pointed extrusions, anything but a little shapeless glob would remain after boiling water and skin removal.

If I wanted to prepare Russo's for a sauce I'd probably cut them up, cook them a little, cool them a little, and put the whole warm pan, liquid and all, through a colander or food mill to take out the skins, and possibly some seeds also.

What we did with ours was to wash them, trim anything that needed it, cut them (unpeeled) in half horizontally, and oven roast them at low heat in pyrex baking dishes lightly oiled, topped with a little olive oil and non-iodized salt -- then froze them in bags for cooking or as individual pieces for use in sandwiches or whatever other uses we had for individual tomato-halves. By the time they're roasted they look like modest tomato slices, not like halves.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote