Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 19, 2011   #1
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Growers Supply 2012 Catalog?

Has it gone out yet I usually get it every year and have ordered there the last two years but have not gotten a catalog yet just wondering if I need to go to their site and request one for this year.

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobig_or_Gohome_toms View Post
Has it gone out yet I usually get it every year and have ordered there the last two years but have not gotten a catalog yet just wondering if I need to go to their site and request one for this year.

Craig
I don't rememeber the exact timing, but I think it was a week ago today that I called Linda about something and she said she'd been in Chicago the week before, as she always does when the catalogs are printed in order to make sure the colors are right, etc.

So I would expect it any time now and as with most catalogs they get sent out by zip codes.

There is a thread here for catalogs, and I rememebr now, I called her b'c someone had posted they got the catalog, and I was wondering where mine was and she said no, that would be the 2011 catalog that they send out until the new 2012 ones are ready to go.

I get two copies and not b'c I buy any seeds there, but b'c for many years now Linda knows that I like to have one copy here by the computer and one out in the front room to use as reference if anyone asks questions.

And I also remember asking about new varieties, she named a few, and asked me not to say what they were, and I also posted that in the catalog thread here in the General Discussion area as well.
Old December 20, 2011   #3
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

I've been curious to see what new varieties Linda lists in her 2012 catalog. I check the TGS website frequently to see if it is updated for 2012. Not yet. I don't know if she updates the website before, during, or after the catalogs are sent out.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2011   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas14 View Post
I've been curious to see what new varieties Linda lists in her 2012 catalog. I check the TGS website frequently to see if it is updated for 2012. Not yet. I don't know if she updates the website before, during, or after the catalogs are sent out.
Doug, I don't know when she updates the website either but at this busy time of year I'm not going to call her ask and I'm not going to e-mail her either.

All I can say is that when it is updated it has been updated.
Old December 20, 2011   #5
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Doug, look at the site again--to me, it looks like it's been updated or is at least in the process of being updated, as of about midnight last night. At least, I noticed some of the new varieties, like Green Zebra Cherry. In the past, the site seems to get updated at about the same time other folks report seeing the catalog, so I take that as a positive omen.
Old December 21, 2011   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwort View Post
Doug, look at the site again--to me, it looks like it's been updated or is at least in the process of being updated, as of about midnight last night. At least, I noticed some of the new varieties, like Green Zebra Cherry. In the past, the site seems to get updated at about the same time other folks report seeing the catalog, so I take that as a positive omen.
Yes, Green Zebra Cherry is a new one and there are quite a few more new ones. I remember Linda telling me that for 2012 she's adding more new ones than she has in several years.
Old December 21, 2011   #7
tam91
Tomatovillian™

It looks to me like she has only one Red Brandywine (regular leaf) now. She used to have the real one with something extra in the name (can't remember now, sorry) and the "wrong" one.

I wonder which one she is selling now as Red Brandywine?
Old December 21, 2011   #8
cloz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
It looks to me like she has only one Red Brandywine (regular leaf) now. She used to have the real one with something extra in the name (can't remember now, sorry) and the "wrong" one.

I wonder which one she is selling now as Red Brandywine?
It was Brandywine Red Landis Valley. If you enter Landis Valley in the search box at TGS, it will come up and still shows as being available.
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/BRANDYW...ductinfo/5940/
cloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2011   #9
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, yes, that was the name. But when I look at beefsteaks, it has the "other" Brandywine Red - both regular leaf and potato leaf versions. But I don't think I saw the "Landis" one there. I'll have to go look again, and make sure I'm not half blind from insufficient coffee at this point.
Old December 21, 2011   #10
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Ah, I see what's happened. The "wrong" one is listed under beefsteaks, with some other brandywines. The real one (that she calls Landis) is listed under midseason.

Ugh, that makes it even easier for people to order the wrong one. I admit, this is a pet peeve of mine, as I wasted money accidentally getting the wrong one.
Old December 21, 2011   #11
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I don't rememeber the exact timing, but I think it was a week ago today that I called Linda about something and she said she'd been in Chicago the week before, as she always does when the catalogs are printed in order to make sure the colors are right, etc.

So I would expect it any time now and as with most catalogs they get sent out by zip codes.

There is a thread here for catalogs, and I rememebr now, I called her b'c someone had posted they got the catalog, and I was wondering where mine was and she said no, that would be the 2011 catalog that they send out until the new 2012 ones are ready to go.
Carolyn, I'm not sure of the timing you mention above, but I received my 2012 Totally Tomato catalog several weeks ago. I doubled checked and it says 2012 on the front and is very different inside from the 2011 issue.

So I guess I'm on the eary zip code list.
Old December 22, 2011   #12
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

bitterwort,
Yes, it does look like the TGS website is updated now. Thanks!
Old December 23, 2011   #13
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Yippie! I received my Tomato Grower's Supply Catalog today!
Old December 23, 2011   #14
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

Just got mine in the mail today as well!!

Craig
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2011   #15
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I checked out the new online catalog - the new website looks very nice and clean!

But the shipping got drastically increased for 2012 - from $8 to $12 for Canada. Ouch, this hurts very much!

Tatiana

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote