Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 15, 2006   #1
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Default retraction from prior statements...an current efforts...)))

Folks, i wanna first off, retract an apologize to who ever i said it to....last season, or it mighta been in '04, i aint sure when i said it. It has to do with the simple question of should one Sterilize their cages, prior to placement. I laughed at this question....in the past.

Last season was the absolute most hard season to grow a healthy tomato in, here in N. E . Georgia, because we never ever had ANY period of dryness, from April up to September. The Garden was a livin pile of Steam, each day.

I got shirts to Prove....the disease i tried to cut off the Tomatos....religiously....the stain is Deep, it wont come out.

Early before last season...someone(i caint remember who) posted a question about sterilizin cages. There were several replies, amongst which i said "Heck No !...dont sweat the little stuff. If a Tomato is given a good spot, let it Roll ! "

Well, i wanna retract what i said...then,....cause...an yall know, i use PVC tripod cages, a tribute to QA GUY for the inspiration is appropriate, here...lol...

Had to go drag them cages out, today, done waited way too long already....to give some Big Beefs,...support.

Remembering...the disease that stained my shirts, and greatly hampered last season's otherwise beautiful plants....i studied these PVC cages, an it HIT ME....lol.

Now, i understood....everything....that poster was tryin to ask, last year. An i'm so sorry, for not understandin it before now. I looked at these cages, an i see green mildew all over em.

Truth is, this is turnin out to be a Mighty Beautiful, Wonderous Season, for Perfect growth. Arid air, lots of wind, timely rains, followed by dry air. Cool temps...way much longer into our season, than normally experienced.

so i loaded up the ol 77 Dodge P/u w/about 7 cages, an carried em out to the Garden's edge....an guess what i did ?

lol
.....i went an got a bucket, poured about 2 cups of bleach into it...then ...added a gallon of Hot Water....an i took a washrag ...an i cleaned off every rail...on each of the 10 cages i sunk today. Aint gon be no further disease transmission comin from these cages...)))

For once...i finally saw Beauty,...in a question i thought was trivial...an now i know...it was Genuine. If these cages didnt have green algae growin all over them,....it might not ever had registered. My first thought, when seein these PVC cages was......." Hmmm.....last year's disease is Ripe..upon them....Kill it...before placin them. "

A post...i hope....you all can see a LITTLE BIT ....of our ownselves in,....in intricate , distinct, unique ways...)))
Old May 16, 2006   #2
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Gimme you crack me up! When I read your posts I can hear you talking! Happy season to you. -Rena
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006   #3
QAGuy
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Gimme3

Maybe I should change my handle to PVCGuy!
Old May 18, 2006   #4
jenn_sc
SPLATT™ Coordinator

Gimmee,

I just wanted to comment on your remark about the incredible growing season so far this year. I hope I don't jinx myself by saying this, but we are having a wonderful spring here in SC for tomatoes! Except for three brief episodes of tiny (harmless) hail, the season has been picture perfect. Dry, breezy days, perfect temps, timely rain.....I'm half expecting a plague of locusts to attack any day now Seriously, it's been GREAT, consistently, and my young tomato plants are loading down with flowers! The cherries are even setting fruit. If this can only continue for awhile longer, I should have the best initial fruit set EVER! Sooner or later the sweltering heat will arrive and my flowers will fry. But do I ever appreciate the wonderful weather we've had so far. Glad to hear Georgia is having a good year, too.

We Southerners deserve a good year, we work so hard in the @#!@ heat!!!

Jennifer
jenn_sc is offline   Reply With Quote