Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 18, 2006   #1
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Default Transplants not thriving?

I've put out some transplants over the past two weeks.

Some of them are thriving: they have new growth, and are showing growth at the internodes (where the leaves join the stem). These same plants are the ones which show droplets of water along their leaf edges at night. (I'd posted this under "Dewy drops of joy" in another thread, but that has received many look-ins but no responses!)

Some aren't thriving at all: no new growth, no internode growth, dry leaf edges at night.

All plants have been placed in "recycled" soil from last year (all are in containers, 7 to 15 gallons), but some of the "thriving" plants are also growing in recycled soil. The amount of sunlight received doesn't seem to make much difference: non-thriving plants are growing with thriving plants in the same location.

I watered the "non-thriving" plants with fish emulsion solution last night.

Any ideas on how to get these guys going?

Thanks in advance.

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006   #2
creister
Tomatovillian™

I don't have much experience with your situation, but maybe try planting the do nothing plants in some fresh potting mix and compost(2/3 mix, 1/3 compost) add two cups of tomato tone by espoma (or something similar) and water.

Another solution that I have read, but never tried is put 1 cup of alfalfa meal in 5 gallons of water for 24 hours. You will get a milky smelly substance. Spray the liquid as a foliar feed on the plants that need it. Supposed to give them a boost. You can place the alfalfa meal in an old pantyhose or paint strainer bag so you don't have to filter the whole 5 gallons. Hope this helps.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006   #3
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the tip, I will try to find alfalfa meal at my local nursery.

I just checked the "problem" plants this evening (I watered with strong fish emulsion solution last night) and they are FINALLY showing dewy leaf edges, which means (to me) that their roots found something good and it's now circulating in their systems. Now maybe they'll start growing!

GTG
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2006   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

Just a remider, alfalfa tea is also a fertilizer, and you don't want to over fertilize, as you will get a nice large tomato plant with no fruit.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006   #5
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default this is what i do

I m new to gardening ,but i have had very good luck with a product ,my dad has used for 12 yrs and turned me on to it. I have used it for a bout 3 yrs with other flowers and plants. It is a liquid consentrate of B1 . I use 2 tbl add to a gallon of water ,then I sprinkle a bit of Osmocote in the hole i dug or bottom of cont, then water with the b1, the whole gallon.
I have had sunflowers laying lifeless on the ground and used this b1 and in two days ,thy are standing up to attetion.
Even my peonies which everone said wont flower this yr ,b/c i divided them and transplanted them ,but they are abuot to bloom any day now.
I m new to this site ,so i don't know the rules on giving out brand names so if you are interested lmk
hope it helps
sue
matermama is offline   Reply With Quote