Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old February 9, 2018   #496
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Can someone help me ----how many in a case??
https://www.hummert.com/product-deta...carrying-trays
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2018   #497
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

50 to a case
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2018   #498
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Yes, 50. Also, Hummert's actual prices are often less than what is displayed on their web site. Products that are re-sold by Hummert clients will often have the retail price the product is re-sold at, but not the wholesale price that Hummert sells the product for. They do that to not make the re-seller look bad.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2018   #499
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Yes, 50. Also, Hummert's actual prices are often less than what is displayed on their web site. Products that are re-sold by Hummert clients will often have the retail price the product is re-sold at, but not the wholesale price that Hummert sells the product for. They do that to not make the re-seller look bad.
I myself am confused. I have never done business with them...

Are you saying that they allow 3rd party selling on their site? The way Amazon does?

Maybe im reading to far into that?
Old February 9, 2018   #500
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Hummert is a wholesaler. The prices for many items, not all but many, is displayed as the suggested retail price. There are people buying items from Hummert and then re-selling those items on their own web site, so they display retail prices as a courtesy to those clients.

Hummert finally printed a new catalog. It's been years. But even the catalog prices are not guaranteed. When oil prices go up, they raise the prices on their plastic products, since plastic is made of oil.
Old February 9, 2018   #501
oakley
Tomatovillian™

This is the tall pots and trays I've been using. From GHM,
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com

My sunflowers and micro toms did best in these. Micros I did eventually pot up into
1 gallon. Sunflowers stayed in these and sold that way. An early sample tray I used blooming
ones around the house. Dropped them down into standard flower vases and kept
trading out for fresh ones. In smaller pots they stay a much smaller dwarf. TeddyBear did fine
three in a one gal. but liked them best in the tall pots. A third more soil than a red cup.

Easily fit the three trays in my car with the 4 1010's. 18 per tray so thats 54 sunflowers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pot up cups.jpg (257.9 KB, 116 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2018   #502
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hummert is a wholesaler. The prices for many items, not all but many, is displayed as the suggested retail price. There are people buying items from Hummert and then re-selling those items on their own web site, so they display retail prices as a courtesy to those clients.

Hummert finally printed a new catalog. It's been years. But even the catalog prices are not guaranteed. When oil prices go up, they raise the prices on their plastic products, since plastic is made of oil.
Got it. I was just confused.
Old February 10, 2018   #503
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOaks View Post
50 to a case
Thank you.
ANd COle too.
Old February 10, 2018   #504
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

@Oakley

I have used the 18 pocket ( trash picking) and liked the individual inserts. Not so happywhen I have to let that pot go when the plant sold.

My impression was that only one individual pot was designed to fit the tray...... your photo shows a large variation in possibiites.... each needing a different tray?
Old February 10, 2018   #505
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I use the "Sheet O Pots" 18 cell that fits into a 1020 web flat. It's the cheapest 4" pots I have found. They do have to be cut apart before selling the plants, which is a pain, but until then the 18-cell insert floats nicely when I bottom-water it. After the cells have been separated, they bob up and tip over when placed in water.

I would love for all of my containers, from 4" to gallon sizes to lock into trays that would keep the media from floating and tipping over. I don't even know if that exists, honestly.
Old February 10, 2018   #506
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Cole... Just curious, are you using 1801s? Or a product actually labeled "Sheet O Pots"?

What caught my attention was that you said you have to cut them apart. The 1801s that I have are perforated to some degree.

The Nursery business is a funny thing. So many mfrs. of different products, and most of them incompatible.
Old February 10, 2018   #507
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

ANd makes understanding the products difficult for us noobies....

Last edited by Black Krim; February 11, 2018 at 02:51 AM. Reason: added us for clarity
Old February 10, 2018   #508
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Mine is the 'sheet-o-pots' product. It's SOP-18 in the Hummert catalog I think. They are perforated, but they do not tear apart by hand. It you pull on them, they will rip downward. I have to cut them with a knife or scissors.
Old February 10, 2018   #509
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mine is the 'sheet-o-pots' product. It's SOP-18 in the Hummert catalog I think. They are perforated, but they do not tear apart by hand. It you pull on them, they will rip downward. I have to cut them with a knife or scissors.
I just found them on their site. I was just kinda curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
ANd makes understanding the products difficult for noobies....
I assume your a self described "noob"? And I certainly dont mean that in an offensive manner. We all started somewhere.

The best advice I would give, if possible when starting out, order your supplies from one company. Especially when it comes to anything in the realm of "1020" flats, trays, and inserts. Brand to brand does not guarantee comparability.

If the flats are too big, not a problem. When your inserts are too big, huge problem.
Old February 11, 2018   #510
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Yes, self described Noobie, so no offense, none at all.

Im old enough to know asking will get an answer faster than not asking.

Just try to use polite langage and ask with respect usually keeps me out of hot water. Usually.