Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 27, 2017   #166
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleInWASt View Post
So glad you were wise enough (and able) to get to safer ground in time. All fingers and toes crossed that the surprises when you're finally able to get back home will all be pleasant ones!

Thank you. I have friends we believe lost their home in Rockport. It is only 1 mile from where our car is stored.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #167
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Indeed, Worth, so glad to see your planning and preparation is holding up to the deluge. The amount of rainfall is staggering. And they expect it to continue until Thursday! Hope you stay dry and lit in your hilltop eyrie.
Rockporter, don't even think about getting back to the coast before that storm is entirely gone! Forget about it! It could get worse before it gets better, and who knows how bad the roads can get in between. One woman drowned driving her car through deep water... it is FAR safer to stay put. Even if the place you are staying gets flooded, you're better off on a rooftop than you are in a vehicle.
Yeah, the storm is coming back and dropping 15 more inches of rain in our area and bringing extreme winds with it.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 27, 2017   #168
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
Bastrop evacuations occurring right now. Be safe Worth.
Thanks

I'm high and wet, just got back from a walk in the woods collecting juniper berries for Sauerbraten.
It is in the fridge as we speak.
Juniper berries.
Black pepper.
Mustard seeds.
Bay leaves from my tree.
1 to 1 ratio of red wine and cider vinegar.
While at the store they had more $1.50 off coupons for Dukes mayonnaise so I got three more jars.
There wasn't hardly anyone at the store.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #169
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yeah, the storm is coming back and dropping 15 more inches of rain in our area and bringing extreme winds with it.

I just looked at the storm track. It looks like a giant game of pinball.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #170
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

OH MY GOD! My mind is so blown right now I can't even express how much thanks I have to give. Why are we so blessed in all this devastation? Why us, how can we be so blessed?

My neighbor sent pics.

All fences in the neighborhood are down.

The RV is standing albeit some jacks are missing from the back and it's sitting on it's front as if the jacks are bent. But the darn thing is upright. It is 39' long by golly and doesn't look like one window is broken. Not even the sliding patio door on it. The neighbors shed is destroyed and against the RV in pieces. It looks like their may be some torn siding from the shed. But it is standing upright, this just boggles my mind.

The car trailer is still in it's place.

The MGB top is blown off and it's probably a huge loss with all the water damage.

My shed is there and looks to still be anchored in it's place.

My garden looks like everything is still in it's place. The planters we put into the large beds look to be still there. Some could be missing or it's just the plants that were in them are destroyed.

I don't know if my kennel surrounding my compost is still there or not, it is not tied down because there are pipes below.

I still don't know if the house flooded or not.

Oh MY God! So thankful but don't understand at all. My neighbor said his house did well and he still has his shed. Just a little water got into his shed. He says there is very bad damage all around town. How are we so blessed in all of this?

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; August 27, 2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old August 27, 2017   #171
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear that.
Old August 27, 2017   #172
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

That sounds like such a huge relief Rockporter.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #173
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
That sounds like such a huge relief Rockporter.
It is such a relief, I will never understand why we are so far ahead. Even if the house flooded that can easily be fixed. Sheesh, Wow!

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 27, 2017   #174
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Take your blessings as they come! Glad to hear your property faired well. And while others may have lost their "things," I hope no one lost loved ones.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #175
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Take your blessings as they come! Glad to hear your property faired well. And while others may have lost their "things," I hope no one lost loved ones.
Yes, sadly there are some deaths associated with this storm around Texas.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 27, 2017   #176
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It is such a relief, I will never understand why we are so far ahead. Even if the house flooded that can easily be fixed. Sheesh, Wow!
Probably because the joinery of the structures that stood it is better than the slop put up now days.
I am not a believer in divine intervention, fate or luck, I am a believer in proper design engineering and construction.
The luck (if any) part may have been the guy doing the cutting and nailing got a raise and was in a good mood that week and doing a good job.
You can take the exact same materials and let two people build the same thing.
One will be garbage and the other an indestructible tank.
Old August 27, 2017   #177
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Well Worth, there were apparently some lawsuits by the homeowners for shoddy work on those houses, including the electrical, plumbing and some roofs not done right. We do have a new roof from 2012 so that may have played a part. It's the mere fact that a 39' long RV is standing is what truly amazes me.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old August 27, 2017   #178
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

WFAA (Dallas ABC) is covering for it's sister station KHOU (Houston ABC) The KHOU building is flooded.

We are experiencing an outer band now. It's raining like all get out. I had to close some of the windows. It's kind of strange - when it started raining hard, the wind calmed down. That's not the way it usually works around here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2017   #179
MdTNGrdner

Good news, Rockporter; I hope it continues! A huge relief for you.

And, unlike Worth, I do believe in Divine intervention; but whether this one was or not, I'm so glad your place is at least mostly intact! Now you can assess damages without being in total shock.

Father's Daughter offers good advice - take your blessings as they come! ::hugs::
Old August 27, 2017   #180
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Well Worth, there were apparently some lawsuits by the homeowners for shoddy work on those houses, including the electrical, plumbing and some roofs not done right. We do have a new roof from 2012 so that may have played a part. It's the mere fact that a 39' long RV is standing is what truly amazes me.
I have been in close to 100 mile an hour gusting winds with it 20 below zero and had to walk about 100 yards to the building with snow blowing flat.
I have no idea why the trucks didn't blow over.
That is after driving in those winds.
Much of the damage done by these storms is caused by people that dont put away or tie down stuff that turns into projectiles.
Many of which kill people.
The RV must have been parked into the wind not broadside which would be the only smart way to park it.
At my place I can hear the wind but not feel it much due to the forest I live in.
When I get out of the woods is when it starts howling.
And yes the river is out of it's banks but not yet as high as I have seen it.