Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 17, 2010   #31
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanRIowa View Post
brokenbar,

I am glad to hear the Aconcagua and Marconi Rosso(Red) do well for you in your climate. I will be growing them for the first time this year so hopefully they do well in my climate.

I have tried and tried to grow bells with little success and have decided to switch to 99% non-bell for my sweet peppers. I grew Cubanelle peppers last season and they did very well for me.

Funny thing I can not grow bell pepppers, but my brother last year(his first year gardening), grow the most beautiful and productive bell peppers(California) I have every seen. Beginners luck!!

Dean
BP's are just weird...My Husband can grow a few varieties but they never seem to do as well as the non-BP. If you are just going to chop them up anyway...who cares? And the Marconi's and Aconcagua are great to stuff! One Aconcaqua will feed 2 people! My husband cuts a small hole in the side and fills them with a pastry bag if it's cream cheese or a little bigger hole and fills them with a spoon for regular pepper stuffing. He dose not bother to take the seeds out. He fills Jalapenios the same way for poppers. He scorches them with a blow torch and removes the skins.
Old February 17, 2010   #32
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

I really like stuffed peppers and last year I used the Cabanelle and Feher Ozon paprika for stuffing. I am looking forward to the Marconis and Aconcaguas.

Quote:
He dose not bother to take the seeds out.
Personally I take out the seeds as I think the membrane and the seeds are a little bitter, but that is my taste.

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #33
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

One summer I took the stem end off of some Corno Di Toro peppers, lightly steamed them, then filled them with macaroni in thick spaghetti sauce, didn't want anything too runny. Some friends and I had them in the garden like ice cream cones with a bit of cheese on top and beer to wash them down.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #34
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

For some reason I have trouble germinating pepper seeds older than one year, despite giving them plenty of time in my Jiffy greenhouse. Will have to have even more patience, I guess. Considering I've had some tomato seed germinate after 3 months of planting, some of my pepper seed may take that long as well.

I noticed some good suggestions since yesterday. Chinese Giant was another one I had that either didn't germinate or didn't survive once it did. It was one of my first varieties so it's been a few years.

One things for sure, I need to get moving on the seed sowing! Still haven't planted anything and eggplant and pepper seeds are about due to be sown. Think I'll dig out my Socrates seeds and have a mass planting and see what happens. Couldn't be any worse than the results I had 2 years ago, which was 0% germination.

Thanks for the replies, Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #35
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
For some reason I have trouble germinating pepper seeds older than one year, despite giving them plenty of time in my Jiffy greenhouse. Will have to have even more patience, I guess. Considering I've had some tomato seed germinate after 3 months of planting, some of my pepper seed may take that long as well.

I noticed some good suggestions since yesterday. Chinese Giant was another one I had that either didn't germinate or didn't survive once it did. It was one of my first varieties so it's been a few years.

One things for sure, I need to get moving on the seed sowing! Still haven't planted anything and eggplant and pepper seeds are about due to be sown. Think I'll dig out my Socrates seeds and have a mass planting and see what happens. Couldn't be any worse than the results I had 2 years ago, which was 0% germination.

Thanks for the replies, Jeff
Are you using bottom heat? Because every variety of pepper I have started, EXCEPT Bhut Jolokia was up within ten days. And Blue AUssie will tell me that Bhuts are not slow but for me..they always are...
Old February 17, 2010   #36
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueaussi View Post
One summer I took the stem end off of some Corno Di Toro peppers, lightly steamed them, then filled them with macaroni in thick spaghetti sauce, didn't want anything too runny. Some friends and I had them in the garden like ice cream cones with a bit of cheese on top and beer to wash them down.
Thats sounds oddly delicious and at the same time...ugh....I will have to try it!
Old February 19, 2010   #37
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
Are you using bottom heat? Because every variety of pepper I have started, EXCEPT Bhut Jolokia was up within ten days. And Blue AUssie will tell me that Bhuts are not slow but for me..they always are...
Yes, I do use bottom heat. Guess I haven't been patient enough but normally I give seeds at least 30 days to show. I'll just overplant and hope something sprouts! My luck they either all will or none will.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote