Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 15, 2019   #1
lapk78
Tomatovillian™

Default Raised Beds: Plastic/PVC vs. Galvanized Steel?

Hi All,
I'm wanting to set up a few raised beds in our backyard (San Antonio, TX) and would like any input from this knowledgeable community. I'm steering away from wood because, frankly, I kinda like the look of the white plastic or the galvanized steel kits. Also, I think they would last longer that wood. Does anyone have any experience with either of these materials? I'm leaning towards the white PVC raised beds at the moment. Thanks for your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190715-095049_Chrome.jpg (129.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190715-153118_Chrome.jpg (61.5 KB, 63 views)
lapk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What you really need to think and yes worry about is the bottom.
Reason; Root invasion from below.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2019   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I have one of the colored type galvanized trough sold at Gardeners Supply. I have several composite 4X4 raised beds, but not in white PVC. For large crops I prefer the 4X4. More bang for the space. The oblong trough shape is great for small crops such as lettuce and spinach. I have it filled a few inches short of the top. When lugging around heavy hoses, low to the ground helps though. I also like the thickness of the 4X4 composites. Both raised beds are open to the ground, and I cover the 4X4 with fabric cloth to keep weeds down. Weeds in the taller container are superficial and easy to pull.

If you go with the white PVC check Costco.com. I have seen that product in the store and it is very nice and a good value.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2019   #4
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

The white looks a lot nicer.

I agree stay away from wood; I have 8 - 4X4 cedar wood raised beds that are completely falling apart. They are shaped in a horse-shoe and the entire front side is gone. I got a huge 16' board last year that kept it intact, but now that I'm taking down the garden (earthboxes, etc), once everything is cleaned up, I will probably remove the entire RB.

Also, since you live in Texas, you may have nematodes that will invade your RB after the first season regardless of how good a soil mix you use to fill the raised bed.

I use a lot of weed barrier all over the back yard for walking, underneath my plants, and nothing comes up through it. But, roots will grow down from above if given the chance.

If you do end of going with a Raised Bed, be sure to line it with a good weed barrier. Then I would pour Crab Shell (such as Neptune's Harvest - about $12 for 4 lbs at walmart.com immediately on top of the weed barrier before you dump your mix in).

The chitan will help deter the nematodes, plus it is good for your plants as well.

The only thing I ended up using my Raised beds for was growing broccoli and that it a max of 6 months from seedling to pulling out the plants. For '19-'20 I am just going to grow the broccoli in Earthboxes.

Last edited by Barb_FL; July 15, 2019 at 05:32 PM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2019   #5
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
I have one of the colored type galvanized trough sold at Gardeners Supply. I have several composite 4X4 raised beds, but not in white PVC. ...

- Lisa
Can you give a link to what you have? It sounds like you are happy with them.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2019   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

The first difference that comes to my mind is heat effects. Plastic is not a good heat conductor, and white also reflects light instead of absorbing it, so it will tend to keep your soil cooler than the metal option which is basically the opposite - conducts heat readily - which also works both ways: if it's actually cold or winter you will rapidly lose any heat gained during the day through the metal sides. So the metal would have more extreme soil temperatures - at least within the first foot or so next to the metal. The plastic would instead moderate the temperature, keeping it cooler in the heat of the day and would not dissipate the warmth in the soil as readily on a cold day or at night.

So personally I think you're better off with the plastic. It also looks nice IMO. Since it's designed for the garden it should have a decent lifespan as well.
OTOH I would use the metal as an enclosure for say a compost pile, to really heat up the sides during the day and keep it cookin.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2019   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

That seems awfully expensive for a small raised bed but it does look nice. I just rebuilt by beds this past winter and spring. I went from treated pine 2X8 to treated pine 2X10. I like the ten inch height better and I use cypress mulch to mulch because it keeps down weeds very well and also cools the soil in our hot summer sun as well as holding in moisture.

Whatever you decide to do make sure to put a lot of peat in the beds to help hold moisture along with some pine bark fines for help with drainage and reducing soil packing. Good luck.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2019   #8
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Sorry can't help, I prefer wood, but I did find your garden box pictured above for a better price.

Sorry posting from phone.

https://express.google.com/u/0/produ...AaAmRHEALw_wcB
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galvanized steel , pvc , raised bed