Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 29, 2019   #1
tomatoaddict

Default Moonshiner’s Ball and La Vie en Rose

I saw an old thread on here about these two tomatoes. So here’s how they came about. One year I grew Claude Browns Yellow Giant. I saved seed and sent some to a fellow gardener. He got a pink tomato. I asked him to send me some. When I grew it from the crossed seed, I got a large pink and a large yellow with a pink bottom. I continued to grow them with some help from WOZ to shorten the time. Of course one parent is CBYG. I speculated that maybe Fritz Ackerman was the other parent because it was close to the original plant. Not 100% sure of course just speculation. Anyhow they are sister tomatoes. Both are stabilized. The name La Vie en Rose came from my friend Lucine in France who was also growing it. Moonshiners Ball is the name of a rodeo bull from a few years back. Just happened to watch the event and thought what a cool name for a tomato. So there’s the info. Both very good tomatoes. Large, beautiful and good taste.
Old July 4, 2019   #2
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking about doing a side by side growout next year. Does either have a core?

How big do they typically get?

Avg days to harvest from transplant?

Would love some pictures.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2019   #3
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

JosephineRose, picks of Moonshiners Ball in this thread, http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=48042, post 172 with a few comments plus as p[art of a pick in post 184, on RHS near the two pots furthest to the right.

Have not grown La Vie en Rose, should change that sometime soon.

MB is Consistently a good large lemon yellow tomato, typically around 10 to 15 oz, but can push up to 19 oz from memory. Weight of last seasons biggest in post 172
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote