Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 11, 2011   #1
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Default The Cukes Are Going Crazy!! (pics)

This year, I planted Diva, County Fair, and Sweet Success cukes in the EarthTainers. The only available space I had was on a partially sunny deck covered with lattice. While the plants only got about 50% of full Sun, they've done remarkably well:

The Sweet Success are about 3-times as plentiful as compared to the Diva and County Fair EarthTainers:

And they are growing to be in the 16 inch range typically:

The County Fair have been a little less prolific:

While the Divas were off to a slower start than the Sweet Success, they are now kicking it:

Something I am amazed about is how quickly cucumber vines grow. Here were Diva on the left, and Sweet Success on the right on July 9:

And now today, 32 days later - through the rafters:

They've grown more than 75 inches in the past 32 days. For these two EarthTainers, I added some Humic Acid, as well as Epsom Salts into the Grow Media. Not sure if either one is helping, but I won't argue with the results:

Happy Camper today!!

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011   #2
earthbutterfly
Tomatovillian™

What lovely healthy looking cucumbers! Theres nothing like a bite of cucumber to suggest Summer has arrived, IMHO. I havent got cucumbers on my list for this season, maybe I need to revise Thanks for sharing your photos!
earthbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011   #3
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

If you only have room for a few plants, I would recommend Sweet Success then Diva, in that order. These both have very thin skins where you can simply wash them and slice, as is.

The County Fair must be peeled as their skin is too thick, in my opinion, for fresh eating. I understand however, they do great for pickling.

Raybo
Old August 11, 2011   #4
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Hey Raybo, do you think its too late to start a second set of cucumbers? My first earthtainer full is ending its reign.... I am not ready to stop eating fresh cucumbers so just wondered whether to get some seeds in or not. Your cucumbers look great by the way!!
kpatrick925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

That does it I think I'm going to plant cucumbers like in tomorrow.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011   #6
earthbutterfly
Tomatovillian™

Im going to have a look & see what varieties are available here. Over here in NZ we get them in the Supermarket with the hard skins that need to be peeled...yuk. But Im a great believer in eating the goodness from the outside in, so that includes skins where applicable, we have a fabulous market held in a nearby suburb every Sunday that excells in Homegrown produce Thanks again, Vienna
earthbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011   #7
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatrick925 View Post
Hey Raybo, do you think its too late to start a second set of cucumbers? My first earthtainer full is ending its reign.... I am not ready to stop eating fresh cucumbers so just wondered whether to get some seeds in or not. Your cucumbers look great by the way!!
Yes, you have plenty of time here in the Bay Area for a Fall crop.

Let me know if you need some Sweet Success as they will produce sooner, and I can get a few in the mail to you tomorrow.

Raybo
Old August 11, 2011   #8
Errol
Tomatovillian™

Great looking cuke crop!! I love cucumbers to, especially sliced and mixed with chopped onion in vinager
Errol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2011   #9
Skaggydog
Tomatovillian™

cucumbers sliced and mixed with chopped onion in vinager with tomatos
Skaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I'm green with envy at your cucumber success.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #11
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I'm green with envy at your cucumber success.
Morgan,

Thanks - - but it was more "luck" in growing these under the lattice on my deck, and having them be so productive with only partial sunlight. I only wonder how well they could have done if exposed to full sunlight. Maybe next year I'll rip out the lattice...

Raybo
Old August 12, 2011   #12
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Morgan,

Thanks - - but it was more "luck" in growing these under the lattice on my deck, and having them be so productive with only partial sunlight. I only wonder how well they could have done if exposed to full sunlight. Maybe next year I'll rip out the lattice...
Don't you dare. I think the lattice and partial sunlight may be the key to your success.

My cucumbers in full sun used to wilt, no matter how much water I provided them. I've considered shade cloth or hitting them with Surround [TM], but a lattice sounds like a more permanent solution.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #13
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Sweet Success in the past and liked it a lot. It did well for me in planters but I never field grew it. But lately the seed has gotten expensive so I didn't bother with it.

This year I tried Diva due to all the raves here at TV about Diva. I got new seed from Johnneys and have been terribly disappointed in it compared to others we are growing. Slow to poor germination both in the greenhouse and direct planted. Slow growth of plants. Hardly anything on them too. We've been picking bushels of pickles the last 10 days, no Divas.

For something similar to Divas I also planted Sultan, also from Johnneys. Those are a Beit Alpha mini cuke like those found in the stores in winter and this spring all the greenhouse tomato grower also had them. Those plants are doing great and producing OK. Not a lot yet, but compared to nothing on the Divas or my regular cukes, they are doing better.

Much of my plants of lots of stuff that like hot weather are about 2 weeks late due to the cold May and June we had here. July was HOT so things are catching up, but still a bit late. But when you have 5 varieties of similar things, and 1 is noticeably behind the others, that one is noticed.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #14
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaggydog View Post
cucumbers sliced and mixed with chopped onion in vinager with tomatos
Cucumbers with tomatoes in Lemon juice and lemon pepper!! The juice is almost as good as the cucs and toms!! Yummy!!
Old August 12, 2011   #15
kpatrick925
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Yes, you have plenty of time here in the Bay Area for a Fall crop.

Let me know if you need some Sweet Success as they will produce sooner, and I can get a few in the mail to you tomorrow.

Raybo
Thanks Raybo!! Seeds are on the heat mat!!