Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 1, 2017   #406
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think it was Easter Sunday if not real close.
I think we only got Christmas and Thanks Giving off all year on a completion rig if then even.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #407
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I worked on pulling units in the Hobbs/Andrews TX area back around 1970. I worked my way through college doing that fun stuff. I ended up a derrick hand and made $2.38 per hour which included an extra 35 cents per hour for danger pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Back in 1980's it was on a Sunday.
The day before was around 70 to 80F or so.
That night it got cold and I had to work derricks on a rig in Hobbs New Mexico in the middle of a dusty field.
The next day Easter Sunday it was well in the 20's and snowing so hard I couldn't see the floor 60 feet down on the rig.
The derrick was covered in ice and the wind was howling.'
Western acidizing and fracking was there and they had planned a big steak cook deal with one of their company cooking contraptions.
The guy that was supposed to do the cooking said he wasn't going to cook in a blizzard.
We said like hell if we have to be out in this blizzard then you are darn well going to cook in it.

We got our steaks.
The guy was standing in the blizzard and all you could see was a shadow of him cooking it was snowing so hard.
Worth
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #408
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It is amazing how much the weather can change so quickly. Yesterday, it was very windy 40+mph - and today, no wind at all.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #409
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The wind is blowing here.
I started out a five an hour and got five fifty for derrick pay.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2017   #410
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
It is amazing how much the weather can change so quickly. Yesterday, it was very windy 40+mph - and today, no wind at all.
Last night it went down to 44F.... in DFW. Very windy here too yesterday.
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #411
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

39 forecasted here for sunday and monday mornings so I will have my water hose and sprinkler can ready. By this evening I will have set 72 plants. Wind snapped off 8. Neighbor told me to plant them deep but I didn't listen. Looking forward to a day of shopping around for replacements. Plus peppers and eggplants. Legs and back starting to protest but I really love watching the tiller turn up the dark earth and everything that follows. Esp the bacon and tomato breakfasts.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #412
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpinks View Post
39 forecasted here for sunday and monday mornings ..........
oy... I hadn't seen that yet. that is chilly. I hopefully will be able to get in the garden and cover the beans even if they haven't germinated. they will probably rot instead. sigh. sure is heard to get the garden in this year. I have cabbage and broccoli, kale, lettuce and a few other cold crops but it is too wet to get in now. so much rain on Friday my new high tunnel was so wet that I couldn't step in the south end of it. now more rain fore casted. I sure hope we don't get it.
Old May 3, 2017   #413
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

We have had more rain and thunderstorms since midnight on already saturated soil. My phone started blaring at 4am that we are under a flash flood warning, again. I think we have had around 15" of rain over the last 10-12 days. The good news is lots of sunshine forecast for several days starting tomorrow.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #414
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Far to wet to do anything in the garden yet. My clay is mucky and kind of like quick sand. The stuff is slippery and if you manage to stand in one spot you slowly start sinking in.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; May 3, 2017 at 08:38 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #415
bower
Tomatovillian™

You guys with the flooding and tornadoes have got my little ice storm beat!
We're having another one last night/this morning. Greenhouse temperatures have been close to 40 F overnight and too cold to put my tomatoes out yet. Snow is still hanging on in the woods and on the shady side of the garden, but getting smaller....
But happily the forecast for the next few days will be "double digits" (that's centigrade). "Double Digits" is the measure of "fantastic, all's right with the world" here. That would be anything above 50 F.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #416
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
We have had more rain and thunderstorms since midnight on already saturated soil. My phone started blaring at 4am that we are under a flash flood warning, again. I think we have had around 15" of rain over the last 10-12 days. The good news is lots of sunshine forecast for several days starting tomorrow.
yup. although, you have gotten much more than I. time to re-fert after this one, as you allude, a dry spell to follow. i am only expecting 1-2" this time. the gov of ark took helicopter ride over Pocahontas, the black river jumped bank big time in ne ark..... and a little toddler got swept away - they are still looking - and that was like Monday.

....need to find a way to bottle this up for august...

I plan on mopping the deck in the rain with an oxi-clean, oxalic acid, soap solution and let it sit for a bit and power wash the deck and stain this weekend with the drier weather. figure the rain will help suds up and keep the cleaning solution viable with a lifting motion and then come at it with my big bad p-washer (4000 psi). ka-boom !!!

Last edited by My Foot Smells; May 3, 2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: silly chore suggestion
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #417
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Foot Smells View Post
yup. although, you have gotten much more than I. time to re-fert after this one, as you allude, a dry spell to follow. i am only expecting 1-2" this time. the gov of ark took helicopter ride over Pocahontas, the black river jumped bank big time in ne ark..... and a little toddler got swept away - they are still looking - and that was like Monday.

....need to find a way to bottle this up for august...

I plan on mopping the deck in the rain with an oxi-clean, oxalic acid, soap solution and let it sit for a bit and power wash the deck and stain this weekend with the drier weather. figure the rain will help suds up and keep the cleaning solution viable with a lifting motion and then come at it with my big bad p-washer (4000 psi). ka-boom !!!
It would be great to have a retaining pond for the rain water, but my wife would kill me if I even mentioned wanting to build a moat.
Thank you for mentioning fertilizing after all of this rain. I remember you mentioning it before and went out yesterday afternoon and applied a top dressing of tomato tone before last nights downpour. After things dry up again I plan on starting fish fertilizer and liquid kelp. I am hoping to repeat the success I had last year.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #418
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
It would be great to have a retaining pond for the rain water, but my wife would kill me if I even mentioned wanting to build a moat.
Thank you for mentioning fertilizing after all of this rain. I remember you mentioning it before and went out yesterday afternoon and applied a top dressing of tomato tone before last nights downpour. After things dry up again I plan on starting fish fertilizer and liquid kelp. I am hoping to repeat the success I had last year.
I got a few rain barrels, but they are a mosquito love fest breeding apparatus and pretty much just a novelty d/t how much water they hold. Not to mention, mosquito dunks have gotten rather costly.

I really only have to punch a hole about 20 feet to hit water, or pump out of the creek (river) - which I have done in emergency situations.

Speaking of rain, the thunder is echoing off the mountain and it is starting to drizzle.....

Last edited by My Foot Smells; May 3, 2017 at 02:58 PM.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #419
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

GRR, I just watched the wind snap a half inch thick branch off the top of our Annie Sunshine tomato plant. It was 18 inches taller than it is now. It has flowers and... I am so tired of these 30+ mph winds.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #420
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I wish our rain would come. I keep putting off feeding so it doesn't get washed out, then the rain doesn't come.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote