Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 24, 2018   #1
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 882
Default Tentative Grow lists for Spring 2018

Ok... after the tough Winter sorting out and garden planning ...

some of you must have a close to Tentative grow out list .

With Interesting Varieties planned for 2018 .

What are you growing out ? What's New ? What's Cool ?
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018   #2
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 882
Default Black Bear Tentative Grow List for 2018

Ok OK .......I Post My List :

Limit to 60 Varieties for 2018 ....(Next year could be less....LOL)



1)Red Rock
2)Budai Torpe
3)Black Bear
4)Danko
5)Tareseko 6
6)Chernamor
7)Matina
8)Fargo

(Ornamental)
9)Sivery Fir
10)Maglia Rosa
11)Fuzzy Wuzzy
12)Stick
.................................
(2 Gallon)

13)Chibbiko
14)Rejina red
15)Rejina Yellow
16)Hahms Gelbe
17)Venus
...............................
(3 Gallon)

18)Cyril's Choice
19)Sophie's choice
20)Ola Polka
21)Mano
22)Yellow Pygmy
23) Ditmarsher
24)Yaponskiy Karlik
25) Fireworks
...............................................
Dwarf Project Container Medium :

26)Adelaide Festival (striped)
27)Dwarf Velvet Night (Cherry purple)
28)Dwarf Golden Gypsy (Potato leaf yellow)
29)Dwarf Lemon Ice (Heart yellow )
30)Dwarf Franklin County (Potato leaf) Cherry minibeefsteak
31)Dwarf Arctic Rose (Classic Best for BlackBear )
32)Dwarf Blazing Beauty (Orange and PL and Indeterminate )
33)Boronia (Classic Best for Blackbear)
34)Sarandipity (Striped)
35)Yukon Quest (Classic Best for Blackbear)
36)Bundaberg Rumball
37)Brandyfred (Potato Leaf)
38)Dwarf Egypt Yellow (New)
39)Dwarf Scarlet Heart (Red)
40)Loxton Lass (Orange)
.....................................
LongKeeper Class Explorations:
41)Polish Egg (extended Keeper)
42)Zhiraf
43)Selma
.........................................
The Rest in no particular order :

44)Kavalero Chinese
45)Puck
46)BuckBee
47)Zlotoe Sertdse
48)Zluta Kytice
49)Rose quartz (multiflora)
50)EM Champion
51)Velmozha
52)Gregori 's Altai
53)Cosmaunaut Volkov
54)Alesha Popovich (compact indeterminate)
55)unikalnyi !!!! (Very productive potato leaf and container)
56)Sandpoint
57)Hungarian Giant
58) Schelecauski
59) Azoychka
60)Kimberly
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018   #3
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™
 
Andrey_BY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minsk, Belarus, Eastern Europe (Zone 4a)
Posts: 2,120
Default

Some spelling corrections are below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Ok OK .......I Post My List :

Limit to 60 Varieties for 2018 ....(Next year could be less....LOL)



1)Red Rock
2)Budai Torpe
3)Black Bear
4)Danko
5)Tarasenko 6
6)Chernomor (aka Black Sea Man)
7)Matina
8)Fargo

(Ornamental)
9) Silvery Fir Tree
10)Maglia Rosa
11)Fuzzy Wuzzy
12)Stick
.................................
(2 Gallon)

13)Chibbiko
14)Rejina red
15)Rejina Yellow
16)Hahms Gelbe
17)Venus
...............................
(3 Gallon)

18)Cyril's Choice
19)Sophie's choice
20)Ola Polka
21)Mano
22)Yellow Pygmy
23) Ditmarsher
24)Yaponskiy Karlik
25) Fireworks
...............................................
Dwarf Project Container Medium :

26)Adelaide Festival (striped)
27)Dwarf Velvet Night (Cherry purple)
28)Dwarf Golden Gypsy (Potato leaf yellow)
29)Dwarf Lemon Ice (Heart yellow )
30)Dwarf Franklin County (Potato leaf) Cherry minibeefsteak
31)Dwarf Arctic Rose (Classic Best for BlackBear )
32)Dwarf Blazing Beauty (Orange and PL and Indeterminate )
33)Boronia (Classic Best for Blackbear)
34)Sarandipity (Striped)
35)Yukon Quest (Classic Best for Blackbear)
36)Bundaberg Rumball
37)Brandyfred (Potato Leaf)
38)Dwarf Egypt Yellow (New)
39)Dwarf Scarlet Heart (Red)
40)Loxton Lass (Orange)
.....................................
LongKeeper Class Explorations:
41)Polish Egg (extended Keeper)
42)Zhiraf
43)Selma
.........................................
The Rest in no particular order :

44)Kavalero Chinese
45)Puck
46)BuckBee
47)Zolotoe Sertdse
48)Zluta Kytice
49)Rose quartz (multiflora)
50)EM Champion
51)Velmozha
52)Gregori 's Altai
53)Cosmaunaut Volkov
54)Alesha Popovich (compact indeterminate)
55)unikalnyi !!!! (Very productive potato leaf and container)
56)Sandpoint
57)Hungarian Giant
58) Shchelkovskiy Ranniy
59) Azoychka
60)Kimberly
__________________
1 kg=2.2 lb , 1 m=39,37 in , 1 oz=28.35 g , 1 ft=30.48 cm , 1 lb= 0,4536 kg , 1 in=2.54 cm , 1 l = 0.26 gallon , 0 C=32 F

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #4
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Some spelling corrections are below:
Thanks Andrey ....wooops .

I really should edit better .... LOL

I always appreciate your input and suggestions .


How about your Tentative grow out list ? Anything new this year ?
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #5
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™
 
Andrey_BY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Minsk, Belarus, Eastern Europe (Zone 4a)
Posts: 2,120
Default

Thanks)

My list is not ready yet. Too many new varieties to choose from as always

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Thanks Andrey ....wooops .

I really should edit better .... LOL

I always appreciate your input and suggestions .


How about your Tentative grow out list ? Anything new this year ?
__________________
1 kg=2.2 lb , 1 m=39,37 in , 1 oz=28.35 g , 1 ft=30.48 cm , 1 lb= 0,4536 kg , 1 in=2.54 cm , 1 l = 0.26 gallon , 0 C=32 F

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #6
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,929
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Thanks)

My list is not ready yet. Too many new varieties to choose from as always
Same for me Andrey, I don't have a clue which seeds I'll give to Rob, a local friend who raises my seedlings for me. Not entirely true since I participated in two of Fred Hempel's seed offers so will grow them ,then look at what I haven't grown yet that would be on my must grow list.

Since someone else has to plant them and care for them, well,that didn't happen last year, but there were some leftover so I gave them to David,one of the mail persons who comes here.

Without him bringing some fruits up here I would have been tomatoless,if that's a word.

Carolyn,who at this point just wants to see daffodils,tulips,pussy willows and other signs of Spring, but it won't even be Feb until next week.What a lousy winter it has been here so far, and same in the future.
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #7
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Thanks)

My list is not ready yet. Too many new varieties to choose from as always

Just wondering how many varieties is a typical year....you grow ...

My future outlook is for more discipline and less varieties ...and plants etc.

.always ....Next year ....LOL
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #8
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Ok OK .......I Post My List :

Limit to 60 Varieties for 2018 ....(Next year could be less....LOL)



1)Red Rock
2)Budai Torpe
3)Black Bear
4)Danko
5)Tareseko 6
6)Chernamor
7)Matina
8)Fargo

(Ornamental)
9)Sivery Fir
10)Maglia Rosa
11)Fuzzy Wuzzy
12)Stick
.................................
(2 Gallon)

13)Chibbiko
14)Rejina red
15)Rejina Yellow
16)Hahms Gelbe
17)Venus
...............................
(3 Gallon)

18)Cyril's Choice
19)Sophie's choice
20)Ola Polka
21)Mano
22)Yellow Pygmy
23) Ditmarsher
24)Yaponskiy Karlik
25) Fireworks
...............................................
Dwarf Project Container Medium :

26)Adelaide Festival (striped)
27)Dwarf Velvet Night (Cherry purple)
28)Dwarf Golden Gypsy (Potato leaf yellow)
29)Dwarf Lemon Ice (Heart yellow )
30)Dwarf Franklin County (Potato leaf) Cherry minibeefsteak
31)Dwarf Arctic Rose (Classic Best for BlackBear )
32)Dwarf Blazing Beauty (Orange and PL and Indeterminate )
33)Boronia (Classic Best for Blackbear)
34)Sarandipity (Striped)
35)Yukon Quest (Classic Best for Blackbear)
36)Bundaberg Rumball
37)Brandyfred (Potato Leaf)
38)Dwarf Egypt Yellow (New)
39)Dwarf Scarlet Heart (Red)
40)Loxton Lass (Orange)
.....................................
LongKeeper Class Explorations:
41)Polish Egg (extended Keeper)
42)Zhiraf
43)Selma
.........................................
The Rest in no particular order :

44)Kavalero Chinese
45)Puck
46)BuckBee
47)Zlotoe Sertdse
48)Zluta Kytice
49)Rose quartz (multiflora)
50)EM Champion
51)Velmozha
52)Gregori 's Altai
53)Cosmaunaut Volkov
54)Alesha Popovich (compact indeterminate)
55)unikalnyi !!!! (Very productive potato leaf and container)
56)Sandpoint
57)Hungarian Giant
58) Schelecauski
59) Azoychka
60)Kimberly
I guess I succumbed to the lastminuteitis additions

so add to the list :
Latah
Hardin's Miniature
Yablonka Rossii
( I want to see if this one is absolutely the same as "Matina/Tamina" )


I will probably buy some singletons @ 0.97 /plant at Canadian Tire of hybrids
Big Beef , Juliet, Sungold etc.
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #9
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™
 
Nan_PA_6b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
I guess I succumbed to the lastminuteitis additions

lastminuteitis- I like that! I have that!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #10
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post

lastminuteitis- I like that! I have that!

Nan
Ok i'll try and do better to control the number of varieties...."Next year" ..LOL


I think it will be hard to manage down to 40 of the "Favorites" and 10 for exploration/trial of new varieties. That would be a commendable goal for next year.....


__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018   #11
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™
 
Nan_PA_6b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Ok i'll try and do better to control the number of varieties...."Next year" ..LOL


I think it will be hard to manage down to 40 of the "Favorites" and 10 for exploration/trial of new varieties. That would be a commendable goal for next year.....

Now that's 50 varieties next year BEFORE lastminuteitis kicks in...

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2018   #12
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™
 
Nan_PA_6b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,208
Default

Black Bear is growing Black Bear?

My list:

Dotson's Lebanese Heart (Back By Popular Demand, BBPD)
Dr. Carolyn (by request)
Hardin's Mini, a micro tom (BBPD)
Heinz 1439 (early determinate)
Inima de Bou, a Romanian oxheart
Post Office Spoonful, (BBPD)
Post Office Runt, a smaller-fruited, smaller-leaved variety of POS
Rae-F2, a growout of a cross I made
Sungold F1 (BBPD)
Targinnie Red, a stuffer (I want cute hors d'oeuvres)
Timpurii, a Romanian early tomato
Wild Tiger, a cherry

And at my mother's:

Big Beef F1 (one of her staples)
Buzau 50, a Romanian variety
Early Girl F1 (her other staple)
Kosovo
Mat-Su Express
Post Office Spoonful (by request)
Rae-F2, as a favor to me
Sungold F1 (by request)

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #13
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Black Bear is growing Black Bear?

My list:

Dotson's Lebanese Heart (Back By Popular Demand, BBPD)
Dr. Carolyn (by request)
Hardin's Mini, a micro tom (BBPD)
Heinz 1439 (early determinate)
Inima de Bou, a Romanian oxheart
Post Office Spoonful, (BBPD)
Post Office Runt, a smaller-fruited, smaller-leaved variety of POS
Rae-F2, a growout of a cross I made
Sungold F1 (BBPD)
Targinnie Red, a stuffer (I want cute hors d'oeuvres)
Timpurii, a Romanian early tomato
Wild Tiger, a cherry

And at my mother's:

Big Beef F1 (one of her staples)
Buzau 50, a Romanian variety
Early Girl F1 (her other staple)
Kosovo
Mat-Su Express
Post Office Spoonful (by request)
Rae-F2, as a favor to me
Sungold F1 (by request)

Nan
Looks good Nan ... I was at one Time going to try Hardin's Mini ....

How does it work for you ?
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #14
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™
 
Nan_PA_6b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,208
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Looks good Nan ... I was at one Time going to try Hardin's Mini ....

How does it work for you ?
I love Hardin's Mini. In a "trade" 1 gallon pot (maybe 3 liters of soil) it gets 12" (30 cm) tall. It has determinate growth but produces forever. Really, forever. I had some outside last year that got Septoria (everything did) and kept going, leaves or no leaves. At frost, I brought them in. Under lights, they just kept going. The plants are on their last legs now but still continuing to produce.

The taste is good, strong, somewhat tart buffered by a bit of sweet; flavor is complex with depth.

The biggest drawback is the small size of the plant. You get 3-4 stems about 12" long. They produce like mad, but it's still only so many tomatoes at a time. I'd suggest for you to put several in a 3 gallon pot and see what you think.

Fruit is about 1" long, some bigger, some smaller, oval, pointed, red. I have a few extra seeds if you would like them. (Not a general offer; supply is limited.)

I'm trying to create that same taste in a full-sized fruit on a larger plant.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018   #15
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™
 
BlackBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Nanaimo , BC
Posts: 882
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
I love Hardin's Mini. In a "trade" 1 gallon pot (maybe 3 liters of soil) it gets 12" (30 cm) tall. It has determinate growth but produces forever. Really, forever. I had some outside last year that got Septoria (everything did) and kept going, leaves or no leaves. At frost, I brought them in. Under lights, they just kept going. The plants are on their last legs now but still continuing to produce.

The taste is good, strong, somewhat tart buffered by a bit of sweet; flavor is complex with depth.

The biggest drawback is the small size of the plant. You get 3-4 stems about 12" long. They produce like mad, but it's still only so many tomatoes at a time. I'd suggest for you to put several in a 3 gallon pot and see what you think.

Fruit is about 1" long, some bigger, some smaller, oval, pointed, red. I have a few extra seeds if you would like them. (Not a general offer; supply is limited.)

I'm trying to create that same taste in a full-sized fruit on a larger plant.

Nan
Ok I will take you up on that as it was one mini I could not seem to find a source..

sounds to me it would be most happy in a "2" gallon .
__________________
So Many Tomatoes ...So Little Time !
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 PM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★