Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 29, 2016   #1
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Default Last years leaves

I have a 96 gallon recycle bin filled with mostly Maple and Ash tree leaves that I picked up last fall and did not get picked up by the town before they stopped doing collections for the winter. Any reason I shouldn't add them directly to the veggie garden and till them in a little before planting this year or would they have to be composted first? They are already at least partially shredded since I bagged them with the riding mower and then dumped them into the recycle bin. I don't have a compost pile/bin, but they are starting yard waste pick up again for the season this Friday, so all I have to do is wheel it to the curb if I am not going to use it. My garden already tends to be high in organic matter, and surprisingly, alkaline according to a soil test a few years ago. Not sure you can have too much organic matter, but if it would acidify the soil at all, that would be nice. If I use it should I add some nitrogen, too? My garden tends to be high in most nutrients from having large amounts of compost added in the past, but maybe there are mostly nitrogen fertilizers out there I could find if I need to. Do I need a new soil test before using them or is this a "no brainer" that can only help and I can just throw them in and then go over them with the Mantis?
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #2
taboule
Tomatovillian™

How big is the area you'll be covering? If big enough, ~100 gal wont make much difference.

Since they're shredded, I personally would use them.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #3
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Fairly small, about 12 x 14'.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

SueCT,

I have read that Maple and Ash makes really good compost. The only tree leaves I've read not to use leaves from are Black Walnut and waxy leaves like Magnolia.

I could write you a book on using oak and elm leaves and the benefits. I personally would turn those leaves into the ground. Build the soil and feed the plants. But that's just my 2 cents.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2016   #5
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Sue, if you have 15 minutes, check this out. It will perhaps give you some idea of what to do with leaves:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n9OhxKlrWwc
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote