Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 18, 2009   #16
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Of ALL my seedlings a single plant was RL.
However so far all of my plants are showing trusse w/ 6 blossoms or more!!
Not sure how large the fruits are going to get yet.
Any updates?
Old June 18, 2009   #17
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

i cannot wait to see photos on this thread .

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2009   #18
Magnolias4Ever
Tomatovillian™

Hi Don! How about an update?

Initially each truss had several tomatoes. The plant has culled down each truss to just 1 tomato each.... kinda weird, but the other just dried up and fell off.

But the one fruit remaining on each truss is HUGE! it is sort of flat-ish and very ruffled.... Here's a pic of the largest one (you can also see another one in the back that is smaller on another truss).

Just wondering, was the original tomato ruffled like this?

I can't wait to see what this one looks like when it's ripe.... to me it looks like it's going to be striped because there are darker green stripes on it already...

What do you think?
Old June 19, 2009   #19
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I picked my first one a couple of days ago (6/17), and brought inside to finish up on the counter because I saw it blushing about halfway up and it was my watering day. Late season in my garden, coming in around the same time as (for example) other lates like Aunt Gertie's Gold, Lillian's Yellow, etc.

Just cut into it (6/19) and flavor is great - reminds me a lot of Regina's Yellow for taste. Peachy/fruity, but not bland at all.

Pics aren't the best for lighting (sorry) because I just now took them indoors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emma+sliced.jpg (54.7 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg emma.jpg (45.1 KB, 94 views)
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2009   #20
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks Suze

Mine are mostly golf ball sized at this point, but "appear" to be bi-color on 5 deep trusses.
Who knows what they will ripen to be.

To me this is a huge part of the fun of OP tomatoes (and peppers).

Thank you SO much for going to the trouble of growing this for me. Did it appear to have any bi-color attributes? My monitor, and my old eyes had your fruit mostly pink.

Thanks again!

I'll post picts soon.

Don
Old June 22, 2009   #21
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolias4Ever View Post
Hi Don! How about an update?

Just wondering, was the original tomato ruffled like this?

I can't wait to see what this one looks like when it's ripe.... to me it looks like it's going to be striped because there are darker green stripes on it already...

What do you think?
Thanks for the update Judy!!
I don't remember much ruffling, but I am kicking myself for not taking a picture!

It seems that there is a fair amount of variation among the f1 versions.

I have an RL and a PL version in my garden. The RL plant is throwing trusses like a cherry tomato!!! But at this point they do appear to be bi-color!

Thanks again for going to the trouble to grow this out!!
You are awesome!

Don
Old June 22, 2009   #22
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMO_Don View Post
Did it appear to have any bi-color attributes? My monitor, and my old eyes had your fruit mostly pink.
Don, does this help? Also, try tilting your monitor forward a bit.

Click for Larger Size

Golden yellow inside, with a bit of blush in the center. Epidermis has strong peachy-pink blush. I will let the next one get a little more ripe and see how dark it ends up. This one was -just- ripe.

Based on what I am seeing in my garden this year, I'm hesitant to say right now whether I think it's a bicolor or a blushing yellow. Many of my bicolors are turning almost entirely red both inside and out when dead ripe! And most of my yellows have a strong blush. Had this happen last year too - must be my growing conditions.

More later...
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2009   #23
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Thank you SO much for taking the time to grow these, and to post your pictures!
You are Awesome!!
Old June 23, 2009   #24
sic transit gloria
Tomatovillian™

Looks like Regina's Yellow, maybe a little more yellow. If it was dead ripe, it would probably have more pink and look very close to RY. Interesting.
sic transit gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2009   #25
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Still really cool to me since I almost exclusively grow reds, pinks, and blacks.
I grew Kellog's breakfast last year but it was 20 feet from where this was picked.
Like I said before, I just think it's so neet that the grow outs aren't producing normal red fruits like the parent plant.
I'll try and get some picts of what mine are doing.

Thanks again!
Old June 27, 2009   #26
Magnolias4Ever
Tomatovillian™

Wow, my tomato is still growing and showing no signs of ripening.... here's an updated pic from this afternoon:

The white you see on the leaves is a little DE to control aphids...

This tomato is just continuing to grow even more... I would have thought that it would at least show some signs of turning, but it hasn't yet. It is by far the largest tomato I have in the garden!!!

Here's a picture of the next one (just a bit smaller than the first one).... it has also culled down to just the one tomato on the truss... it is going to be very large too:

This tomato was transplanted into the garden on 4/10/2009 so it's already at 78 days.

I can't wait to see what it is going to look like as a ripe tomato but at the same time, I'm really excited to see how big the fruit is going to get!!
Old June 29, 2009   #27
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

Ok... that settles it....
I'm taking picts of mine!

My RL version is setting trusses of grape sized oblong fruits in groups of 6-8!

I am excited to see wat becomes of yours!
Thank you again for going to the trouble of growing this for me!

Even though I have no idea what they will become, I DO know that all the seeds came from one late season fruit, and all I grow are OP varieties (except sungolds 50 yards away).

Thanks again
Don
Old June 29, 2009   #28
KCMO_Don
Tomatovillian™

I don't think I have any fruit set on my PL version, but check out my RL fruits...
Cracks me up
I'm excited to see what they become. the only cherry I have EVER grown out here is sungold and these are far to large for sungold influence.
Old July 11, 2009   #29
Magnolias4Ever
Tomatovillian™

Default Final Report on Tomato #1

I am so excited to be giving the final report on my first EMMA tomato harvest :-) This has got to be one of the finest (and definitely the largest!) tomatoes I've ever grown. For those of you who have followed my posts, I didn't think this one tomato was ever going to quit growing -- it just got larger and larger. Finally I saw just the hint of blush and quickly picked it and took it inside to finish up ripening. I waited until the last available minute to cut it because I wanted to make sure all the seeds had matured. When I saw that first dark spot this morning, well.... I knew that the day had arrived :-)

So, here's some tomato "eye candy" for you... with a blow by blow description for each photo:

As you can see from the photo above, the tomato just about fills the entire plate! Like I said, it is the largest tomato I've ever harvested from my garden. As far as the weight -- 1 lb 3 oz. It's pretty "ruffled" (which I love). The top stem color is a little lighter... more dark yellowish. Then the color starts turning orange and a little into the reds as the you go toward the blossom end.

If you remember, I said that the blossom for this fruit initially looked almost like a double flower... this is evident in the blossom end of the fruit. I was somewhat concered at first that it might develop BER (I had some tomatoes have BER this year) but this one did not at all. It also gave me no problems with splitting like a couple other varieties did.

Here's a couple of closeup shots:

Now.... for the mystery REVEALED.... the inside of the tomato!!!!

Now.... guess what this pic is of -->>>>

Yep, after getting two gorgeous, thick slices off for dinner, you can see that I am going to ferment and save seeds!!!! I will be keeping a few for myself and sending the rest to Don :-) Don, I hope that you can continue growing this awesome tomato out! I would love for this one to have the EMMA name :-) I will also be growing it again in the garden and will keep you updated.

Now, guess what this pic is --->>>>

Nothing goes to waste LOL! The bowl of cut up tomato on the left (what I had from scooping out the seeds) was my breakfast on this gorgeous Saturday morning. The two thick slices in the plate on the right are going on the burgers we're having for dinner tonight....

Now, are you wondering what this tomato taste like? Well, I can give you first hand (taste) knowledge because I just finished my breakfast

This is not your typical "yellow" tomato. It is not bland at all. I guess that because it is a bi-color. It has a great "tomato-y" flavor. The meat part is not mushy or grainy at all. Nice and firm. As you can tell from the photos, there is a good meat to juice ratio :-) Not overly seedy either.

Wow, what an adventure! Don't you just love tomatoes??
Old July 11, 2009   #30
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

That is one gorgeous tomato!