Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 2, 2012   #16
janezee
Tomatovillian™

camochef, we expect a report on that Kumato! It sounded so interesting on previous threads.

I have a Little Lucky, (RL), a spare seedling that was supposed to be Stupice (RL), and a RL Frühe Liebe. All are supposed to be PL.

Then there are the ones that I got in a trade with little or no description:
Stardust, supposedly a cherry which has the prettiest leaves I've seen on a tomato, Green Ghost, Mr. Fumo, a paste, and Bosu, supposedly late blight tolerant.
Of course, Tom Wagner's seeds come with little or no description, too, and I'm growing several of those, and I'm also excited to be growing a couple of dice's crosses of dice's Mystery Black x Chernamor, F2 and F3.
Ooops, almost forgot that Rebel Yell F5!

I hope they're all good and productive, so I can share in the fall!

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2012   #17
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I too have got a RL Green Giant. Seed saved from my own grow out last year. It was next to Kosovo and Orange Strawberry and I'm seeing uniform beefsteaks with dull heart bottoms. Classic tale tell sign of beefsteak x heart in my experience anyway.

I also crossed Brandywine Sudduth with Japanese Black Trifele in hopes of finding a great tasting medium to large pear shaped. I made plans to yank any plants that didn't show pear shape after setting fruit. But I found a really nice smooth beefsteak in the process and couldn't pull it. Cant wait to see what color and the taste will be like.

One of the two Goose Creek I'm growing is throwing large type cherry tomatoes with nipples at the bottom.

And last but not least and actually a disappointment is a pink heart I have been working on in the f4 generation is throwing beefsteaks which means to me it is an obvious cross after getting hearts every year since the f2.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2012   #18
cedarswamp
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing out 4 plants that were supposed to be Sophie's Choice. All four seedlings were tricots and have since exibited dwarf habit. So far all 4 plants have been stingy putting out blossoms.
cedarswamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2012   #19
kath
Tomatovillian™

Only have one mystery (so far) and that is a PL plant of Watermelon Beefsteak that was from a packet of seed received in 2010 in a trade. Only one seed germinated and it is PL. The funny thing is that I got Watermelon Beefsteak Potato Leaf from Tania this year so I'll be comparing the two, although I realize the seed from the trade could be any PL variety or a cross. I'm also growing plants of Watermelon Beefsteak from Gleckler's and from TGS as well. Hope I like them as well as I liked WB that I got from Cross Country Nurseries a couple years ago- I didn't save any seed because I didn't have luck bagging any.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2012   #20
attml
Tomatovillian™

Not a huge mystery, but one out of the few Brandywine from Croatia seeds I planted came up as a potato leaf so I decided o grow it out as well. I am kind of interested to see how it does compared to the RL variety?

Mark
attml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #21
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I've actually got one additional cool mystery. A bit of a long story...

So when I was very young, my dad got me interested in gardening (or at least planted the seed!). Later in life, I actually got him interested in growing heirlooms - he switched from Big Boy/Better Boy to Cherokee Purple, Lucky Stripe, etc - and became a star in his neighborhood - he even got to starting seed - later on I sent him plants.

He passed away in 2007. When Sue and I went to clean out my parents' home in 2008, she found his seed packets stored in a coffee can in the basement. One of the packets held seeds he labeled as "Big Willy" - his name being Will, he clearly named something after himself.

Well, I've got one plant of Big Willy growing in my driveway and can't wait to see what it produces!
Old June 4, 2012   #22
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Craig

that is a rare find indeed, can't wait to see pictures of it.

my grandmother was well known for her tomatoes and I would love to have some of her seeds from back then.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #23
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

I just now finished planting a mystery tomato plant in a 1 gallon pot.
Throwing it away seemed wrong and it was just sitting on the sidelines with blooms on it so I decided to give it a stay of execution.

It came in my Uncle Mark Bagby seeds and I planted it as such.
It came out as a RL instead of a PL like it should have.

Now it's sitting in it's new home complete with some nice potting soil and some Tomato Tone mixed in.

It will be interesting to see what it produces

Julia
PA_Julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #24
patty_b
Tomatovillian™

I have a few mysteries, but non so neat as Craig's! But two along the same line, I found a mystery bag with tomato seeds and a blue napkin with tomato seeds on it. I am thinking it is from about 1998 when we moved and i completely stopped saving tomato seeds on paper towel or whatever and began the ferminations method of seed saving!
patty_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #25
Growyourowngrub
Tomatovillian™

Wonderful to read about so many different varieties is.be interested in trying some of these varietes in the UK to see what happens so if you do have any seed let me know

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
Growyourowngrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2012   #26
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I have a Green Zebra in a pot that is coming along nicely, but definitely a little odd.

First, it formed a spiraled stem. Someone else on here described theirs as like a fiddle head fern, which is almost exactly what mine looked like.

The rest of the stems seem to be doing okay, but the color is a touch on the blueish gray side of green. The leaves are also a little fuzzier and thicker than the other Green Zebra plant that I have.

Weird! Can't wait to see what the fruits taste like. It has just really started setting, so there are only about five or six tiny tomatoes so far. They look a little bit fuzzy, too!
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #27
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Nothing like a good mystery enjoying the thread, I love reading about all the mysteries people are growing.

My not sure's;
Evan's Purple Pear, seed saved from an off-type grown from WBF seed. Both RL and PL plants.
Irish Pink, this year I had both RL and PL germinate from seed I saved last year. I'm growing a few of each, likely an unknown cross.
Green Copia, the plant I grew last year produced a wispy leaf plant with large plum/lemon size and shaped fruit, which ripened orange with gold/metallic looking stripes/bi. A tasty tom. I'm growing a few next generation this year. Also I've sown a couple more Green Copia seed from the same batch (seed are from a swap), both regular type and wispy leaf plants are growing.
Camone, seed saved from Italian grown tomatoes, an assortment of types in F2. Growing several F3 and some more f2 this year. I like these.
'Datterine' seed originally saved from Italian tomatoes, growing F3 this year. The original fruit were absolutely scrummy, F2's not far behind.
Also an unknown red cherry variety, likely a hybrid, again seed saved from Italian cherry tomatoes labelled as 'Red cherry from Pachino'. Vines produced lots of similar type red cherries, sweet, tasty and kept well. Growing F3 this year.
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #28
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Craig, that is so cool about your Dad's tomato. Can't wait to hear what it turns out to be!

I wish I had gone through my Granddad's seeds when he died. I'm sure he had a ton of them. Unfortunately, I wasn't really into gardening at the time. As far as I know, they were either thrown out or left to rot, but maybe one of my uncles went through them.

I'll have to ask. It is a wonderful thing to be able to grow something that someone you loved grew.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #29
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

Craig, is the Indian Stripe x Purple Smudge an F1 or F2? I have it down as F1 but don't think that is correct. Well, that one and one Suze called "Not Absinthe" are my two mystery tomatoes that I hope do at least okay here.
Sue B.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2012   #30
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

While mine are probably not mysteries to most here they are to me for this is the first year planting them for me.
Big Beef
Black Krim
Sungold
Bush Goliath

So far they are looking good.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote