Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 29, 2016   #16
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

After reading Fred's glowing review, I put ICD on my wish list and Gary kindly sent me some seeds. I'm going to grow it, in the north, this summer.

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; January 29, 2016 at 12:34 PM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #17
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I got some ICD too from Gary's swap and I'll be growing it out this year. Looks like there will be some diversity of areas. Hopefully it does well for everybody.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #18
imp
Tomatovillian™

I also received some in the swap- the name sounds like it is a candy, LOL, and will be growing it out this year.

So many lovely tomatoes, some with silly or funny names, some that are tongue twister names and so on, but all hopefully will be so good!

I am excited to grow a LOT of peas, beans, tomatoes and corn, plus my absolute favorite summer squash the old stand by, yellow crooknecks! I love the warty ones, think they have more flavor. And also several other squashes, plus the ever lovely and seductively sweet melons.

Can it be summer without melons?!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #19
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Our ICD have germinated and look really good.

It's good to see you back Star
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #20
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I would be interested in growing ICD if anyone has seeds to spare. I grew Blueberry cherry last year and really liked the flavor, as long as I left it long enough to get nice and ripe. I probably don't have any interesting tomato varieties to exchange but might have something along the lines of greens/peppers.
Old January 29, 2016   #21
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
I would be interested in growing ICD if anyone has seeds to spare. I grew Blueberry cherry last year and really liked the flavor, as long as I left it long enough to get nice and ripe. I probably don't have any interesting tomato varieties to exchange but might have something along the lines of greens/peppers.
Barb send me your address in a pm and i will send some to you.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #22
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Just to show how my mind works, I saw ICD and my brain interpreted it as Impulsive Compulsive Disorder. I just thought about it and said "Yep!"

Yes, I too am growing ICD this year and will have plants for sale.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2016   #23
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Gary sent 3 seeds of ICD and was not going to grow any more blue tomatoes as I didn't like the flavor. You've all changed my mind and I'm hoping all 3 seeds will germinate.

Thanks for the thumbs up!
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016   #24
kath
Tomatovillian™

Tormato is sending me ICD, too, if he still has them; hoping to have it in my row of cherry tomatoes this season.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016   #25
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

How big the ICD plant grow, relative to Indigo rose and Indigo Apple ?

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2016   #26
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

kayrobbins - Thanks for the nice words about Painted Pink. There have been a lot of obstacles to overcome in developing blue tomatoes with good flavor. Selections of breeding stock made by researchers early on were partly to blame. Fortunately, many of the lines out there now are much improved.
I grew a plant labeled Indigo Cherry Drops from a local nursery last season and it struggled in our unusually damp, cool weather. It would be better to have started from seed and I should do that this year.
Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2016   #27
charley
Tomatovillian™

i tryed dancing with smurfs last year and didnt like the flavor at all so this year im trying siberian tiger its said that its pretty tasty.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #28
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

How do you know when they are ripe? All of mine start out very dark with a small patch of green on the bottom. Now one has the small green patch changing to red. Is it ripe? Do I need to wait until the small red patch is a deeper red?
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #29
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

When my ICD's were ripe the bottom was a brick red so it sounds like yours needs a little longer.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2016   #30
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodwin View Post
kayrobbins - Thanks for the nice words about Painted Pink. There have been a lot of obstacles to overcome in developing blue tomatoes with good flavor. Selections of breeding stock made by researchers early on were partly to blame. Fortunately, many of the lines out there now are much improved.
I grew a plant labeled Indigo Cherry Drops from a local nursery last season and it struggled in our unusually damp, cool weather. It would be better to have started from seed and I should do that this year.
Lee
Lee, growing Indigo Cherry Drop and Painted Pink worked out so well for me. The Indigo Cherry Drop produced earlier but it also was one of the first tomato plants to decide it had enough of Florida's weather. Painted Pink took its time but is producing like crazy despite the heat. That made a perfect combo for me and I will grow both again this fall.

I am not sure if it was part of your breeding goal but Painted Pink and Danube always give me tomatoes after everything else is done.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote