Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 25, 2016   #46
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post

Someone needs to cross Reisetomate with Barry's Crazy Cherry or Ildi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Or just cause more confusion and cross Reisetomate with Riesentraube (a multiflora) and call it RieseReise--ya know, "I" before "E"... and we wouldn't have to worry which one we spelled wrong--we'd only have to worry which one(s) we pronounce wrong!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2016   #47
Bodhi Peace
Tomatovillian™

Wouldn't it have to be "ReiseRiesen"?
Bodhi Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2016   #48
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi Peace View Post
Wouldn't it have to be "ReiseRiesen"?
As in RiseReason? or ReasonRise? HAHA! Site's or Chrome's spell checker OK'd RiseReason with question mark in one line but not both ReasonRise! When I delete or change words the red underlines go away! Strange results.
Old June 26, 2016   #49
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

I have one growing that was given to me when I bought some others. I wasnt going to plant it but hubby said to so I did.... :-)

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #50
shule1

I've seen a few sources call Reisetomate Brain. The name has apparently possibly been circulating since at least 2009 (probably before). See post #6 in that link. It's possible they were referring to another variety as Brain, though (that's how it looks, but it's in the same sentence as Reisetomate as if they are tomatoes with similarities).

One person got their 'Brain' tomatoes from a French source.

Another got their tomatoes from a Croatian source. In this case, Brain was a translated name and the seller called it "rajčica mozak". Here's another site that refers to it as the Croatian Brain name.

Then there's this eBay source, which is Croatian. And there's this YouTube video. And this foreign language website.

Since I brought it up, in post #29, though, where I first saw it called Brain, with the heavier weight advertised that I mentioned in a different post, was here.

Anyway, I'm not saying we should say Brain is another official name for it, but it does appear sometimes to be called that, for whatever reason. It is a pretty rare name for it, though, it seems.

Last edited by shule1; June 27, 2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old June 27, 2016   #51
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Reisetomate has usually been 3 - 4 ounces each, in my garden. That's the whole thing, not pieces.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2016   #52
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Reisetomate has usually been 3 - 4 ounces each, in my garden. That's the whole thing, not pieces.
Thanks for the input there, Tormato!
Old June 27, 2016   #53
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post

Someone needs to cross Reisetomate with Barry's Crazy Cherry or Ildi

You could call it Raisin. That would go along with the multi-flora-thing, since Barry's Crazy Cherry looks like a bunch of grapes, anyway. I'm not sure that it would look like a raisin, though, but you never know.

Last edited by shule1; June 27, 2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old June 30, 2016   #54
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
I've seen a few sources call Reisetomate Brain. The name has apparently possibly been circulating since at least 2009 (probably before). See post #6 in that link. It's possible they were referring to another variety as Brain, though (that's how it looks, but it's in the same sentence as Reisetomate as if they are tomatoes with similarities).

One person got their 'Brain' tomatoes from a French source.

Another got their tomatoes from a Croatian source. In this case, Brain was a translated name and the seller called it "rajčica mozak". Here's another site that refers to it as the Croatian Brain name.

Then there's this eBay source, which is Croatian. And there's this YouTube video. And this foreign language website.

Since I brought it up, in post #29, though, where I first saw it called Brain, with the heavier weight advertised that I mentioned in a different post, was here.

Anyway, I'm not saying we should say Brain is another official name for it, but it does appear sometimes to be called that, for whatever reason. It is a pretty rare name for it, though, it seems.
Speaking of brain tomatoes... I have 6 Mushroom Basket tomatoes growing, they are heavily fluted/ruffled, on one plant I have two full sized tomatoes fuzed together, it's going to be a 2# brain. I'll post pics when it starts turning red.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2016   #55
shule1

@pmcgrady

That sounds pretty cool (fluted fused tomatoes). If we crossed Reisetomate with a fluted tomato that might look pretty interesting.
Old July 2, 2016   #56
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Had my first fruit set on Reisetomate. It wasn't from that first flower pictured above but the fruit is already crazy shaped.

-Zach
Old July 3, 2016   #57
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
Had my first fruit set on Reisetomate. It wasn't from that first flower pictured above but the fruit is already crazy shaped.

-Zach
Cool. Keep us updated...
Old July 5, 2016   #58
Bodhi Peace
Tomatovillian™

that's one ugly baby
Bodhi Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #59
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I picked a couple fruit tonight. Mine are not very big, maybe three inches across. I thought they would be bigger.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote