Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 9, 2016   #31
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Here is a good PDF on grafting. It has a graph with a timeline that I intend to follow. One thing to note is they recommend 2-5 day wait between rootstock and scion sowings.

https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/pr...techniques.pdf
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2016   #32
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old January 14, 2017   #33
FredB
Tomatovillian™

Rootstock varieties have tiny seeds and in my experience tend to be sluggish and erratic in germinating, so I would say plant them at least five days earlier than the scions.
FredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2017   #34
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredB View Post
Rootstock varieties have tiny seeds and in my experience tend to be sluggish and erratic in germinating, so I would say plant them at least five days earlier than the scions.
I'll tell y'all a little secret about the timing of the scion and root stock. Always plant the scion first. I usually wait about a week to 10 days between the two unless it is really warm then 5 to 7 days. The reason is quite simple. If the root stock stem is larger than your scion stem you will be forced to graft very high up on the plant to match the stems. Even if the scion is double the size of your root stock you can usually cut off the top of the scion and match it to the smaller root stock.

It is easiest to do the grafting if all the plants are about the same size but several times I have had the root stock grow much faster and then I had a really hard time finding any small enough to match the scions. One time I had to just cut off the tops of all my root stock and root them for about two weeks in order to get plants small enough. My healing chambers are only about 14 or 15 inches tall and if I graft too high up then I can't put the lid on.

I already have my root stock and scions planted and up for my first grafting attempt and will be starting my next batch of seed in a week or two. Right now my scions are around 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches tall with no true leaves and most of my scions are about and inch tall. When I start grafting my first batch I will pick out all the tallest root stock seedlings for that attempt and continue with that till my next plantings are ready to start grafting.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2017   #35
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Hmm should I be starting my rootstock seeds Bill? My FFD is around April 15th
Old January 15, 2017   #36
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I would certainly be starting them soon. Grafting can delay your planting day by several weeks or more. The newly grafted plants are sometimes very slow to start growing again and the graft juncture is a weak spot for quiet a while. I like to give grafted plants a longer hardening off process before trying to set them out in the garden.

Bill
Old January 15, 2017   #37
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

I was going to try some grafting this year on a few plants to see what the difference might be for me. I am going to be ordering from TGS and they have Estamino, RST-04-106, and Supernatural. I was leaning towards the Supernatural but have really no basis for choosing. I think the disease pressure in the root zone is fairly low here although I have had some strange wilts the last couple of years that were really not explainable by weather. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2017   #38
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Never tried it but Supernatural sounds like a marketing ploy to me. RST04106 is a proven and reliable rootstock. Remember rootstocks won't help with anthing besides soilborn diseases. I lost 40 plants last year in a matter of weeks from bacterial wilt so I need something I can trust.
Old January 15, 2017   #39
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I would certainly be starting them soon. Grafting can delay your planting day by several weeks or more. The newly grafted plants are sometimes very slow to start growing again and the graft juncture is a weak spot for quiet a while. I like to give grafted plants a longer hardening off process before trying to set them out in the garden.

Bill
Thanks Bill, when is your plant out date typically?
Old January 15, 2017   #40
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Never tried it but Supernatural sounds like a marketing ploy to me. RST04106 is a proven and reliable rootstock. Remember rootstocks won't help with anthing besides soilborn diseases. I lost 40 plants last year in a matter of weeks from bacterial wilt so I need something I can trust.
Thanks for the reply. I think you are right that I should go with a more proven root stock. While I'm not sure about the soil pathogens I know the leaf diseases have been pretty severe even with fungicide. My hope is for more vigorous growth and more fruit before the inevitable or maybe even being able to battle through it a bit longer.
Old January 15, 2017   #41
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Hmm should I be starting my rootstock seeds Bill? My FFD is around April 15th
BVV, you mean LFD !
Mine is about the same time ,maybe April 7 ?
I sowed half of my tomato varieties ( 15 of them ) yesterday (1/14/17 ). For March plant out (possibly ) .
But I am not planning on grafting. I will start the rest of my tomatoes around Feb 1st for April plant out. Just testing to see how it will work down here. I have done late March plant out in ATL, GA years ago.
Gardeneer

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2017   #42
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Oh yeah, I have always said final frost date in my head. Idk why. I guess I better get my seeds going then. I set up my grow rack this week just need to go get fresh potting mix.

Edit: I just checked last year's notes and I started my first round on February 1st. So with the delay from grafting I need to get my butt n gear.

Last edited by BigVanVader; January 15, 2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old January 15, 2017   #43
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Oh yeah, I have always said final frost date in my head. Idk why. I guess I better get my seeds going then. I set up my grow rack this week just need to go get fresh potting mix.
I have made my grow rack from 3/4" pvc.
Only 3 sets of double bulb T8 will be hung from it.
light stand.jpg

The floor will accommodated the trays.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #44
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My most common first plant out is usually the first or second week of March but sometimes as early as mid February or very rarely as late as the end of April. I go strictly by when my tulip poplar trees start putting on leaves. I sometimes get impatient waiting for the buds to start opening up but I have found it pays to wait.

Bill
Old January 16, 2017   #45
Hoosier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
My most common first plant out is usually the first or second week of March but sometimes as early as mid February or very rarely as late as the end of April. I go strictly by when my tulip poplar trees start putting on leaves. I sometimes get impatient waiting for the buds to start opening up but I have found it pays to wait.

Bill
Interesting. I will have to see how the Tulip Poplars correspond with my usual plant out date here. I do a lot of my lawn care based on when Redbuds or Dogwoods bloom so I think that should be a good marker.