Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 3, 2019   #46
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Amazon is not the best price, Walmart online is. Cheaper than the manufacturer website. 7.98 for two 32 oz jars, basically 4.00 per jar with shipping to store included. You pick up in store locally.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2019   #47
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Amazon is not the best price, Walmart online is. Cheaper than the manufacturer website. 7.98 for two 32 oz jars, basically 4.00 per jar with shipping to store included. You pick up in store locally.
Good to know! Thanks.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #48
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

The best price I get on Hellman's is when one of the local pharmacies (CVS or Walgreen) advertise the 30 oz jars as 2/5.00. Then I get four jars to stock up. When I get down to one jar left in the stash I start watching the ads again.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #49
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not a prime member of Amazon.
I can't count how many times I would get all the way to the shopping cart check out to see the price.
So far every time Amazon has been more expensive for me.
Our store has went from the coupons for 30oz jars of Dukes to coupons for the squeeze bottles of Dukes.
I don't by squeeze bottles of mayonnaise.
From what I have seen on line Blue Plate has only three ingredients in it, no spices.
This is probably the reason I dont care for it.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #50
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

After reading this thread I decided to try Duke's. I just bought a 32 oz jar at my locally owned grocery store fro $3.99.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #51
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

So the "best price" question might include how much mayonnaise someone uses in a given period of time. I seem to waste less with the squeeze bottles, though they might cost more per ounce.
Old May 4, 2019   #52
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Miracle Whip for me. I grew up on it and I still like it.

Anyone old enough to remember when it was illegal to sell margarine already blended as a butter substitute. You had to buy a margarine kit and mix the components at home.

We were very poor and my parents had to squeeze every penny to feed six kids. I will still bend over in parking lots to pick up a penny. Some old memories are hard to shake. I fondly remember being poor as a kid. I believe it shaped a lot of the things I believe today and how I live my life. Growing up poor made me a better person.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2019   #53
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Hellman's at 2/5.00 is my stock up price also. I buy squeeze catsup and mustard but that is about it. I bought squeeze sour cream once and it had started to grow mold inside, which I couldn't see, so it grossed me out and I didn't buy it any more. I just want to see that something responsible for so many food born illnesses is not growing anything before i use it, lol. JMHO.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019   #54
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

A few years back when a similar thread was up, Duke's made its first appearance in the area. I just asked here and am told that was at Redner's (Reading PA based 24hr supermarket chain). Duke's tasted about the same as Hellman's - much better than Kraft. The great thing, it was about half the price of hellmann's. That lasted maybe a month, and then it was practically the same price o f$4 a jar. Currently, Giant supermarket, with all their bonus buy coupons, seems to have the best deals on Hellmann's, but I may have bought too many last time to effect the savings. That never seems to happen when it is the breyer's 6/$10 deal. I have been known to double dip that one if I have a cooler along. Can't have too many mint choc chip or the awesome new dark chocolate PB cup.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019   #55
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt-Grow-Cook View Post
This. Kewpie mayo is awesome!
That's amazing that someone else besides me knows about Kewpie. It is just the most delicious mayo ever, if you have ever made your own using the freshest eggs and best ingredients, by hand, not a blender...so rich and the right amount of tartness. Unfortunately it is a Japanese brand and hard to find unless you have a Japanese market near you, plus of course it is more expensive than domestic brands. Every American I have met in Japan that live there, prefer this mayo. I can't wait to have my first tomato-mayo sandwich this year!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019   #56
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Old May 5, 2019   #57
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Rob, as Paul Harvey would say: Now we know - the rest of the story.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019   #58
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee View Post
That's amazing that someone else besides me knows about Kewpie. It is just the most delicious mayo ever, if you have ever made your own using the freshest eggs and best ingredients, by hand, not a blender...so rich and the right amount of tartness. Unfortunately it is a Japanese brand and hard to find unless you have a Japanese market near you, plus of course it is more expensive than domestic brands. Every American I have met in Japan that live there, prefer this mayo. I can't wait to have my first tomato-mayo sandwich this year!
Kewpie is pretty popular on food forums!

https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/...se-recipe.html

https://www.thekitchn.com/what-is-ke...yonnaise-44639

http://www.grubstreet.com/2012/02/ke...ls-recipe.html

I think they might have gotten rid of the msg in the U.S. product

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dinin...609-story.html

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 5, 2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old May 5, 2019   #59
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Rajun,

Any time I'm in a Mexican grocery to buy some marinated short ribs or many other items, I always stop at the little steam table where they steam ears of fresh corn. They fill a Styrofoam coffee cup half full of mayo and then to the top with fresh corn sliced from the cob into the cup. They add some Mexican spices and stir it together. It is delicious.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2019   #60
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Rajun,

Any time I'm in a Mexican grocery to buy some marinated short ribs or many other items, I always stop at the little steam table where they steam ears of fresh corn. They fill a Styrofoam coffee cup half full of mayo and then to the top with fresh corn sliced from the cob into the cup. They add some Mexican spices and stir it together. It is delicious.
Elote.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote