Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9166
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Ratatouille pie,

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/...cipe-iOS-share

but I didn't have eggplant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190825_145418.jpg (209.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190825_145429.jpg (170.0 KB, 69 views)
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9167
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Ach, worth! Mercy, please, Mercy! I've never heard of the books you mentioned and if they mirror the topic of the jungle I'll gladly pass! I'm wondering if my daughter will get the true point of the book. Class in the u.s. regarding wealth. If she does I'm sure we're going to have some interesting conversations.
Godawg, may I ask the name of the book store and where it's located?
Everyone's food looks like good eats! We had a loaded pasta salad for supper.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9168
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
Ach, worth! Mercy, please, Mercy! I've never heard of the books you mentioned and if they mirror the topic of the jungle I'll gladly pass! I'm wondering if my daughter will get the true point of the book. Class in the u.s. regarding wealth. If she does I'm sure we're going to have some interesting conversations.
Godawg, may I ask the name of the book store and where it's located?
Everyone's food looks like good eats! We had a loaded pasta salad for supper.
It's Millie's Used Books in a little 5 store strip, 1781 Georgia Rd (the main drag US 441) in Franklin NC. If you have any books you want to get rid of, she'll take them and give you credits towards purchases. How many credits depends on the value of the books and what shape they're in.The two books I bought came to $13 but I ended up paying just $5.85 total because of stuff I've traded in over time. If you ever go, tell her the Georgia Girls sent ya!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9169
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" influenced my thought processes when I was young and today. When I was a kid, I red Mao's "Little Red Book" I wanted to understand why despots think the way they do. In the seventh grade, the social studies teacher required the students to read and report on books that influenced society for the past one hundred years. I wanted to order "The Communist Manifesto" by Marx/Engles. She wouldn't let me order it because she was afraid the FBI would put my name on a list and it would mark me forever.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9170
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

A lot in life has changed. To find out so many people's likes and dislikes in a family much less in society has changed what I cook. You can think you know how to cook it all and one person can say eeewww - and that's all it takes.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9171
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" influenced my thought processes when I was young and today. When I was a kid, I red Mao's "Little Red Book" I wanted to understand why despots think the way they do.
I've had both a long time. LOTS marked in the Atlas book!!!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9172
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

well worth, I had to bite! cannery row and sweet Thursday are ordered from our local library system. reading a book now called the vengeance of mothers....so far I really like it!

we had leftovers for supper. waiting to see what kind of labor day sales will start in the grocery stores tomorrow...
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9173
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
well worth, I had to bite! cannery row and sweet Thursday are ordered from our local library system. reading a book now called the vengeance of mothers....so far I really like it!

we had leftovers for supper. waiting to see what kind of labor day sales will start in the grocery stores tomorrow...
Let me know what you think?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9174
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had a fried ground chuck patty smothered in Sriracha sauce and homemade habanero pickled okra.

After the habanero okra the sriracha sauce tasted like an ever so mildly hot ketchup.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9175
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I broke out the cast iron and made smothered pork steaks with Navy beans and a cucumber, carrot and lettuce salad. Home cooking 101.

I seasoned the meat and fried it down to get those gremmies/fawn/burnt bits on the bottom of the pot

added onions and a little water to break it loose

added hatch pepper for flavor

added a TBS of roux and simmered on medium low for 40 minutes with the lid on and checking the liquid every few minutes so it doesn't burn, add water if it gets too low.

Finished product, nice thick gravy

NOM NOM NOM!
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9176
imp
Tomatovillian™

Oh, yum, rajun !! We used to make smothered fried chicken the same way, too. That picture makes me hungry, LOL!

Last night and tonight ( if I bother, lol) a rib steak - cheap eating as just 1 from the local Hispanic market set me back just short of $5.00 as they had them on at $3.99 lb. and it feeds me three meat meals and the bone goes into the freezer for stock later. And lovely fresh and ripe cantaloupe from south Texas, so sweet and juicy. I cooked the steak quite rare with a cilantro butter basted over it, steak seasoned with just salt, pepper garlic and onion otherwise.

Last edited by imp; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:54 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9177
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Salt, I know I should MYOB but I just can't stand it. It is never OK to go "eeeewwww" when someone cooks for you. It is OK to cook for the majority and let the outliers have a sandwich. It is OK to have the occasional night when you cook what you and your wife like and let the others go out for fast food. YOU have to set the boundaries and decide how to deal with it, so I guess if you can't you are left with what you are left with. It isn't just everyone else, it is you and how you handle it. one saying I love is "people can't walk all over you unless you let them". As kids the only things that made us go "eeeewwww" was liver and spam. But every once in a while Mom made it because SHE liked it and those who didn't had a sandwich or a bowl of cereal or whatever. Never was it OK to make her feel like she always had to eat things she didn't like and always cook only what we liked. Adults do not have to eat like kids unless they want to.

makes me want to slap a few people up side the head, lol.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9178
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Oh, yum, rajun !! We used to make smothered fried chicken the same way, too. That picture makes me hungry, LOL!

Last night and tonight ( if I bother, lol) a rib steak - cheap eating as just 1 from the local Hispanic market set me back just short of $5.00 as they had them on at $3.99 lb. and it feeds me three meat meals and the bone goes into the freezer for stock later. And lovely fresh and ripe cantaloupe from south Texas, so sweet and juicy. I cooked the steak quite rare with a cilantro butter basted over it, steak seasoned with just salt, pepper garlic and onion otherwise.

Thanks! It was nice and tender, it's one of my favorite meals. I need to try that cilantro butter, did you just make an herb butter with raw cilantro?
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9179
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
Salt, I know I should MYOB but I just can't stand it. It is never OK to go "eeeewwww" when someone cooks for you. It is OK to cook for the majority and let the outliers have a sandwich. It is OK to have the occasional night when you cook what you and your wife like and let the others go out for fast food. YOU have to set the boundaries and decide how to deal with it, so I guess if you can't you are left with what you are left with. It isn't just everyone else, it is you and how you handle it. one saying I love is "people can't walk all over you unless you let them". As kids the only things that made us go "eeeewwww" was liver and spam. But every once in a while Mom made it because SHE liked it and those who didn't had a sandwich or a bowl of cereal or whatever. Never was it OK to make her feel like she always had to eat things she didn't like and always cook only what we liked. Adults do not have to eat like kids unless they want to.

makes me want to slap a few people up side the head, lol.

Totally agree, that's rude. My parents and elders would've slapped me into next week for that.

As long as you give, they will take. Set them free and they will figure it out.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9180
imp
Tomatovillian™

Oh dear, you didn't "ewww" at my Mother's table, LOL, death and destruction would have followed if we had dared to pull that at any other place too. No substitutes either, you ate what was there or did without until the next meal. Now, you were allowed to not like something, you just couldn't be rude about it, and you could eat the other things that were there, but if you didn't eat any thing what was for that meal, tough luck.

Oh yeah, if nothing suited you at a meal or you dared to be rude, no dessert. And that could be painful as Mom was a fine cook. And you had to remain at the table through the meal and through dessert as everyone else ate that layer cake or homemade pudding or ice cream, or.....