Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 22, 2018   #241
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

>> A page or two back I posted what variety of pea to maybe stay away from.
>> Post #210...avoid pea species from Genus Lathyrus.

Good info, thanks.

Field peas (Pisum sativum) are good, and safe.

Something called the 'Sweet Pea' (Lathyrus odoratus) is the bad one to eat, that has some toxicity to it. You need to eat a pickup truck load of it to get sick, but the toxins are there.

With that said, from what I can see, the toxic 'sweet pea' is grown for its pretty flowers, I don't see them being sold as food.

Finally, some of yinz grow dwarf sugar peas. They're safe. One would think that something called a 'sugar pea' would ipso fatso (A.B.) be a 'sweet pea'. Nope. The dwarf sugar pea, like ALL the peas I see for sale as food, is a field pea, pisum sativum.

Sweet peas are sold in the flower section of seed catalogs; field peas, veg section.
Old February 9, 2018   #242
oakley
Tomatovillian™

All going really well. 12-15 small trays in constant rotation. Every 5-7 days I start
a few more. Takes ten minutes. Always 4-5 trays ready to snip. Salads every day.

Built a framed tray, home decor appropriate, ,and hung it in the South window
on a couple adjustable cables. Holds 6 trays. (no floor space).

We love the radish mix, the mustard mix, pea mix, sunflower/buckwheat mix, and still
fussing on the salad mix and density. So far it is kales, collards, cabbage, leaf lettuce,
parsley, broccoli, ...and whatever is in my bulk spicy mix. Not fussing with herbs until the
weather warms a bit. I had a nice cilantro tray but forgot they have 2 seeds in that round husk
so it was way too densely planted....
I can get super cheap herbs here in the markets, but not when we are in Newfoundland, so
I'll save those for that trip. Good all day sunroom and steady 70+ with the wood cook stove.
This whole project started about what we can't get there. Pretty much zero.
Then found we like this salad mix better than anything we could get in NYC. ($$$)
Bottom left is ChinaRose, RedRambo, 50% Daikon radishes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg microgreens2-8-18.jpg (350.8 KB, 104 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2018   #243
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Wow, Oakley, very impressive.
I am experimenting with Sunflowers and dwarf sugar grey now, but the sunflower have some moldy spots already, I'm using my own organic farm grown black oil seeds. I have trouble balancing the need for the initial darkness and ventilation. I think I will just grow them in the open, so there won't be any molds.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2018   #244
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Oakly - that is beautiful.

I found the perfect mix for me growing MG. It's Pro-Mix for veg and herbs. $10 for 1 cu ft. I've used it as is and also mixed with Coir (Plant-It brand extra washed to remove salts).

My composting worms which I bought in November when I started growing MG are doing phenomenal with the MG scraps. What a difference than when I had the red wigglers before.

ETA - I live in a super humid climate and have not had any mold issues. After the cover period, they are moved outside until picked. Now I'm experimenting with leaving them on the porch (not screened in) vs a shaded raised bed that I used until last week.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #245
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Results so far:

Cherry belle radish in soil -- great germination, dense carpet, good flavor, will do again.
Broccoli raab on coir -- ok germination, grew an inch and started dying. Maybe not enough water.
Twelve year old fenugreek in soil -- 12-hour soak, great germination, quick dense growth. So-so flavor (a little bitter), may not continue.
Twelve year old Austrian field peas in soil -- 12-hour soak, great germination, quick dense growth. Ok flavor, will probably do again, depends on how the just-planted dwarf sugar peas taste.
Chia, in coir -- dense but slow growth. It's been two weeks now and they're only about 1 1/2 inches tall. Little texture, bitter flavor. No more.
Chick peas, in soil -- Soaked, quick dense germination and quick growth. Meh flavor. Probation status for future growings.
Tendergreen mustard, in coir -- ok sprouting, died. Like the broccoli, maybe I didn't water it correctly.

Observations so far: Soil > coir. 12-year old seeds showed no signs of old age.

Just planted dwarf sugar peas, and buckwheat. Next up: radishes, alfalfa, kohlrabi.
Old February 11, 2018   #246
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Default Somewhat OT - Lettuce

but I read about it here so thought I would post pictures.

Maybe a Florida thing or just me, but I'm really only good with growing Parris Island Romaine or Little Gem lettuce. I can pick up through June.

When I was first reading this thread and saw Oakley's mention of Salanova lettuce. I ordered the home garden mix. One seed is all it takes per head. The first pic is in a full size Earthbox.

Also bought Ezbruke pelleted lettuce seeds which is in the planter with only the red lettuce. Sowed later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0510.jpg (452.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0511.jpg (413.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0512.jpg (395.9 KB, 82 views)
Old February 11, 2018   #247
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Great! I posted to check-in and see who was still at it, testing, gave up, what does
best, etc.

Good trial listing Soilsniffer.
Salanova is not only reliable, it is so buttery delicious and long lasting in the garden. Can
be cut and it will give again. I just took outer leaves of each variety and seemed like forever
before I pulled and bagged entire plants that then lasted some time in the fridge.

Sunflower is well known in the commercial production world to be the most likely to
cause some mold troubles. I use the hydrogen peroxide/vinegar soak, 1/2 hour-ish, rinse,
then soak overnight or all day. I go ahead now and just do the same for peas even though they
don't need soaking but they swell and near double in size so it is easier to space them in
soil.
I've also been top watering them up until 3-4" to moisten the seed coat as they seem the most likely to
have trouble shedding their seed coat.

Timing is near perfect cutting a third of 4-5 trays per day fresh. Four will be emptied today
and have 6 more sprouting.

I would have given up on the peas had I relied on the two I was previously growing. One was
especially woody over 6". I have one now that is still tender at 10". Amazing sweet flavor
just like a garden fresh early pea.

I gave the boys at work lots of mustard and my salad mix. In return they gave me lots of new
peas to try and a few others.
Old February 11, 2018   #248
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soilsniffer View Post
Results so far:

Cherry belle radish in soil -- great germination, dense carpet, good flavor, will do again.
Broccoli raab on coir -- ok germination, grew an inch and started dying. Maybe not enough water.
Twelve year old fenugreek in soil -- 12-hour soak, great germination, quick dense growth. So-so flavor (a little bitter), may not continue.
Twelve year old Austrian field peas in soil -- 12-hour soak, great germination, quick dense growth. Ok flavor, will probably do again, depends on how the just-planted dwarf sugar peas taste.
Chia, in coir -- dense but slow growth. It's been two weeks now and they're only about 1 1/2 inches tall. Little texture, bitter flavor. No more.
Chick peas, in soil -- Soaked, quick dense germination and quick growth. Meh flavor. Probation status for future growings.
Tendergreen mustard, in coir -- ok sprouting, died. Like the broccoli, maybe I didn't water it correctly.

Observations so far: Soil > coir. 12-year old seeds showed no signs of old age.

Just planted dwarf sugar peas, and buckwheat. Next up: radishes, alfalfa, kohlrabi.
I'm finding all the radish varieties have great flavor.
Also testing 'pairings'. A pinch of buckwheat in with sunflowers.

Still testing planting density. One bag of old mustard seed is a
thick massive carpet. Barely a sprinkle of seed.
Three different kales together, now up, seem to like less seed per
tray.
Old February 11, 2018   #249
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I'm still at it with trays in constant rotation although I have to figure out a better rotation schedule so I won't have gaps. I also am trying some home mixes with radishes, arugula and mustards. Three of us got together and ordered from Johnnys to make the free shipping order. Everyone who tries the micro greens wants to start growing them which is good since I can't supply them very often. Having fun!
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018   #250
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Oakley - So good to know that it is cut-come again type. Not what it says on Johnny's. I do want my EB back though.

I'm going to use up my MG seeds and then try to get a $200 order from Johnny's next year. I bought 1 lb of Alfalfa seed from them, didn't weigh it, but it seems like tons more than other pounds from elsewhere.

So far, I am not loving ANY of the big seed variety, especially peas. Worst case, worm food.
Old February 11, 2018   #251
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by akgardengirl View Post
I'm still at it with trays in constant rotation although I have to figure out a better rotation schedule so I won't have gaps. I also am trying some home mixes with radishes, arugula and mustards. Three of us got together and ordered from Johnnys to make the free shipping order. Everyone who tries the micro greens wants to start growing them which is good since I can't supply them very often. Having fun!
I fixed the gap by growing more often in the smaller 5x7" trays.
Radish is fast as is buckwheat. Peas and sunflowers a few days behind so
I need to start more often.
If I do a full 1010 tray it takes up some major real estate so that I save for any
up-coming dinner party. But even then, the smaller trays I'll just start more of them.

Sharing bulk seed is the way to go. Now that I have co-workers in the mix and
ordering together, I have more varieties to test. The salad pic above can't be more than
10cents in seed. And so fresh. The bagged stuff is 2.99 in the grocery and no flavor
and often one leaf in the mix is often rotting.

Then consider the pure health of it all, not needing transporting. Any veg cut and
needing travel time to market looses much of its food value.
Old February 11, 2018   #252
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Oakley - So good to know that it is cut-come again type. Not what it says on Johnny's. I do want my EB back though.

I'm going to use up my MG seeds and then try to get a $200 order from Johnny's next year. I bought 1 lb of Alfalfa seed from them, didn't weigh it, but it seems like tons more than other pounds from elsewhere.

So far, I am not loving ANY of the big seed variety, especially peas. Worst case, worm food.
I saw on a Curtis Stone video his greens harvester and cutting, then coming back
the next week to cut again. I think BigVanVader is growing Salanova. Maybe this
up-coming is his first season.

Don't give up on peas. Some are much better than others.

Maybe this time next year we can figure out a trade somehow. I'll do the math at
some point. Too busy with the up-coming Spring and I have all my seeds for
the season. Could be something like send 4 packets of one or two tbsp to 2-4
people and get maybe 16 mixes or varieties back to try.
Buy a 1/2 lb or 1/4 lb at a much better price and trade. If ordering anyway, tack
on a micro green.

We were meant to visit the Catskills to tap our maple trees this weekend but
rain is nasty with snow melting fast. Ground is frozen so impossibly slippery.
Old February 17, 2018   #253
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Update on the spicy salad mix comparison. On the left is TrueLeaf and the right is Johnny's.

Second pic is a close-up of Johnny's. Nice variety of leaf color and shape. Both have
great flavor.
My own mix not pictured is a combo of both and added some kales and cabbage.
Just started three trays in different densities.

I've been getting ahead of myself but using spare trays...cut, damp towel, and in
fridge. Three days and still fresh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salad mix comparrison2018-02-17 at 3.30.15 PM.jpg (289.7 KB, 46 views)
Old February 17, 2018   #254
oakley
Tomatovillian™

After a taco night had pulled pork sammies with coleslaw and fresh pickles,
pickled mustard seed and roasted chick peas. Love these greens with snow
to begin at 5pm and end 3am. Fresh greens all winter ! Love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pulled pork sammie.jpg (297.5 KB, 45 views)
Old February 17, 2018   #255
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Looks great!

Update on the Metalica - I have one plant in a Root Pouch and it has the most perfect big tomato. I think it is finally lightening up so should start ripening in the next week.
Our weather is now warm in days and cool at night and I noticed a bunch of blossoms with 2 more setting fruit. Weather is now a tomato dream.

The other plant was in an Earthbox and didn't get enough sun; roommate is a Momotaro that is doing great with dozens of large tomatoes. I tried transplanting the Metalica to no avail.

So I will be getting fruit from just the one; will take a picture and post in the Metalica thread when it is ready. Thank you.