Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2018   #31
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 8,345
Default

I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but there are three different types of hemp crops: fiber, seed, and cbd bud. The cbd bud plants look exactly like illegal marijuana plants, but the THC has been bred nearly out of them. The market for CBD products is exploding. It's the best medicine to treat MS and childhood epilepsy, and has a lot of health potential. Coke is exploring the possibility of making a line of CBD beverages.

The Illinois Stewardship Alliance is hosting a 'hemp victory party' on October 12th in Ashland, IL. I would like to attend, but I'm not sure I will make it.

The Illinois Dept of Ag is writing the rules right now, and who knows how much bureaucratic ignorance will be included. My guess is a lot, given that it is Illinois.

A very good friend of mine is opening a CBD processing facility just across the river in Kentucky. One thing I hope against, but halfway expect, is that the Illinois rules will mandate that processing occur in-state...despite none of these facilities existing yet. My friend's place could probably process everything grown in Southern Illinois the first year. It would be nice to have a guaranteed buyer before the crops even get planted. His family is also going to apply for a growing permit in Illinois. I plan to work for/with them in their operation. Kentucky farmers growing CBD bud were netting $10k an acre last year, and the prices keep going up. That number might double with the 2018 crop.

https://www.facebook.com/events/537038010065344/

Hemp, Hemp, Hooray! We won, let's celebrate!

Industrial Hemp is a huge opportunity for farmers and communities across Illinois, and you've worked hard to make it happen. The industrial hemp bill was signed into law in late August.

Join us on October 12 at Oak Tree Organics for good, old-fashioned fun on the farm to celebrate.

Oak Tree Organics Farm
2585 Literberry Prentice Road
Ashland, IL 62612
Friday, October 12
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2018   #32
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™
 
Hunt-Grow-Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 351
Default

Huge difference between Hemp CBD and true medicinal CBD. Huge. Not even comparable really. The former is typically very low CBD levels compared to the medicinal counterparts, and doesn't contain any other cannabinoids or terpenes. Anything you order online or buy over the counter (whole foods, etc.) will be the hemp grade. If looking for true medicinal affects, you want the medicinal grade. The hemp grade CBD waters and beverages are already out here, even have some local breweries doing "hemp beers."


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I don't think it has been mentioned yet, but there are three different types of hemp crops: fiber, seed, and cbd bud. The cbd bud plants look exactly like illegal marijuana plants, but the THC has been bred nearly out of them. The market for CBD products is exploding. It's the best medicine to treat MS and childhood epilepsy, and has a lot of health potential. Coke is exploring the possibility of making a line of CBD beverages.

The Illinois Stewardship Alliance is hosting a 'hemp victory party' on October 12th in Ashland, IL. I would like to attend, but I'm not sure I will make it.

The Illinois Dept of Ag is writing the rules right now, and who knows how much bureaucratic ignorance will be included. My guess is a lot, given that it is Illinois.

A very good friend of mine is opening a CBD processing facility just across the river in Kentucky. One thing I hope against, but halfway expect, is that the Illinois rules will mandate that processing occur in-state...despite none of these facilities existing yet. My friend's place could probably process everything grown in Southern Illinois the first year. It would be nice to have a guaranteed buyer before the crops even get planted. His family is also going to apply for a growing permit in Illinois. I plan to work for/with them in their operation. Kentucky farmers growing CBD bud were netting $10k an acre last year, and the prices keep going up. That number might double with the 2018 crop.

https://www.facebook.com/events/537038010065344/

Hemp, Hemp, Hooray! We won, let's celebrate!

Industrial Hemp is a huge opportunity for farmers and communities across Illinois, and you've worked hard to make it happen. The industrial hemp bill was signed into law in late August.

Join us on October 12 at Oak Tree Organics for good, old-fashioned fun on the farm to celebrate.

Oak Tree Organics Farm
2585 Literberry Prentice Road
Ashland, IL 62612
Friday, October 12
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2, 2018   #33
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 8,345
Default

I agree with everything you said. The hemp cbd is run througj a multi stage extraction process to get cbd isolate, which is the hot product right now. So yes, the content is lower, but they just run more raw material througj the extraction process.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2018   #34
fonseca
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 205
Default

CBD is CBD. Same molecule.

Full spectrum CBD (yes, there are hemp strains with a range of other cannabinoids as well) has personally been much more effective than CBD isolate. This is amazing stuff. If you want to try it, do your research and only buy from a brand that makes their potency and purity tests available on their website. There are a lot of fraudulent products out there.

Last edited by fonseca; October 3, 2018 at 08:39 PM.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2018   #35
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™
 
Hunt-Grow-Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonseca View Post
CBD is CBD. Same molecule.

Full spectrum CBD (yes, there are hemp strains with a range of other cannabinoids as well) has personally been much more effective than CBD isolate. This is amazing stuff. If you want to try it, do your research and only buy from a brand that makes their potency and purity tests available on their website. There are a lot of fraudulent products out there.

Agree with that 100% and kind of to my point. The medicinal grades, especially the ones being bred today, have much more to offer in not only the full spectrum of cannabinoids, but terpene profiles as well. Terps play a huge role. I wasn't aware hemp grade offered the same, just hasn't been my experience. Being in CA, procurement of both isn't an issue, and I can tell you first hand I much prefer products made with medicinal grade materials. CBD for medicinal use isn't exactly new out here and I agree its amazing. THCA/CBD tinctures are something I use quite a bit. You made a great point in testing and purity, hugely important either way. A lot of snake oil out there no doubt.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #36
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 8,345
Default

The farm bill legalizing hemp passed the Senate and House this week. It should be signed into law by the president at any moment.

As for Illinois news, due to a change of personnel in the governor's office, it looks like it will be early next year before the dept of ag publishes the applications to get a grow permit. Those permits are $500 in Kentucky. We shall see what Illinois charges, and what other stipulations they add.

It was a bad year for the Kentucky crop due to too much rain. CBD hemp is usually planted in bottom ground, which flooded in all the rain this year, and also mold is a big enemy of the crop. Per pound prices being paid to farmers continue to rise though, sometimes as much as double from last year. And that trend should continue even in years with a good local crop.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™
 
Worth1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: 25 miles southeast of Waterloo Texas.
Posts: 37,952
Default

That is if he can get his """"affairs"""" in order.
Worth
__________________
A Falling Knife Has No Handle

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #38
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 21,190
Default

https://www.google.com/search?q=Medi...&bih=815&dpr=1

Medicinal Hemp in NY State above.

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #39
Old chef
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Long island
Posts: 432
Default

My mother has a Medical Marijuana card for help with pain from shingles. It’s natural properties vs chemicals are amazing and healthy

CBD is big right now. I was the first in NYC to make a pizza dough from hemp seed and infuse CBD oil into a tomato sauce.
Healthy pizza !
Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019   #40
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 8,345
Default

Illinois has published the preliminary draft of the hemp license rules. The link below is an article about it, and the actual rules are in the Illinois Register, available for free download after a couple clicks.

https://prairiestatewire.com/stories...nt-period-open

Right now they are saying $100 to apply and another $1000 when the license is granted. One license covers one continuous area or field, so one farmer with two separate pieces of land would pay the thousand bucks twice.

Seed is the biggest expense, especially for cbd hemp. Kentucky farmers grow about a thousand plants per acre. Feminized seed from a reputable company is anywhere from $2 to $5 per seed, and about a dollar from an amateur producer. Bulk non feminized seed sold directly from farmers is about $4,000 to $5,000 per pound, which is about 25K seeds, half of which will be culled as males. The seed must be greenhouse started. Some Colorado companies sell rooted cuttings for $10 to $20 apiece.

I am planning on gettimg a license for my family. We have an 8 acre patch of bottom ground that would be perfect. Net yield in a good year is now about $10k per acre. I think that number might as much as double by the end of 2019. Demand is far outpacing supply.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019   #41
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™
 
pmcgrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,835
Default

Looks like recreational marijuana is on the front burner. Wonder how many hoops and permits that's going to be.
Thanks for the update Cole! I need to be checking into it also.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019   #42
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™
 
pmcgrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,835
Default

What kind of equipment are you going use to harvest it?
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019   #43
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™
 
Cole_Robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Illinois, zone 6
Posts: 8,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
What kind of equipment are you going use to harvest it?
CBD bud is hand harvested and hung in a barn to dry like tobacco.

Irrigation is the biggest issue, I think. Hemp is a water hog, and it is usually grown in bottom ground for that reason. Unfortunately for Kentucky farmers, 2018 was a very wet year and yields were down. My goal is to make anough money the first year to build a well. 40 acres at $20k per acre would buy a lot of tomatoes.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019   #44
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™
 
pmcgrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
CBD bud is hand harvested and hung in a barn to dry like tobacco.

Irrigation is the biggest issue, I think. Hemp is a water hog, and it is usually grown in bottom ground for that reason. Unfortunately for Kentucky farmers, 2018 was a very wet year and yields were down. My goal is to make anough money the first year to build a well. 40 acres at $20k per acre would buy a lot of tomatoes.
Are the roots harvested also?
I can probably come up with 6 acres of top ground 200 feet away from a 7 acre lake/pond that's around 30 feet deep, surrounded by timber. It grew a mediocre crop of beans this year... I'm sure the owners would be interested in something like this.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2019   #45
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™
 
pmcgrady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 1,835
Default

I just saw where you said CBD "bud". I figure the whole plant can be used, stalks for textiles, roots for something?
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:15 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2019 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★