Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 7, 2016   #91
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Hoy and D Burson are putting out great megablooms. Soon Terhune and Chapman will follow suit.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2016   #92
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

I have not looked at this thread for awhile and am delighted to see so many growers interested in BIG. There are some great seeds available, most of which can be gotten free at Bigpumpkins.com or purchased for a reasonable price from some of the growers there who sell seeds sort of as a hobby. The Big Zac line did the best last year at the Great Pumpkin Commonwealth weigh-offs, many 5 pounds or more with a few big ones coming in from Delicious and a newcomer to lots of the growers, Domingo. The Delicious should be from the Hunt line from which I was lucky enough to get a 6.51 pounder. Fabrice Boudyo grew a tomato over 8 pounds last year from the Big Zac offshoot line and of course the world record was grown by Dan MacCoy from a Big Zac offshoot. Lots of plants this year will be grown from crosses of the bigger ones made by the growers. More and more people are making their own crosses. Should be interesting.
Old April 7, 2016   #93
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Claude Brown’s Y. Giant can be candidate as well. These were picked on August 10, 2014. If one truss can feed two big tomatoes...
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 1.27.19 PM.png (871.3 KB, 338 views)

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2016   #94
Materdoc
Tomatovillian™

I grew CBYG several years ago & was impressed by the fruit size.
At that time I wasn't trying to grow for size and I didn't prune or even look for megablooms.
It might be a good source for big genes to fold into the Big Zac genome.
Materdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #95
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Materdoc View Post
I grew CBYG several years ago & was impressed by the fruit size.
At that time I wasn't trying to grow for size and I didn't prune or even look for megablooms.
It might be a good source for big genes to fold into the Big Zac genome.
And I like their taste. Plus, they store better than most. We had the last one around X-mas time.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2016   #96
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Just a bloom

I guess we could call this a megablossom. LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY1136.JPG (362.9 KB, 268 views)
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #97
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

Opportunity knocks.
Old April 14, 2016   #98
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default big fruit

I care about size to the extent that of 5 or 6 varieties, Big Beef is the smallest that I grow. I do sucker all my plants(about 70) and train on 6 ft oak stakes. I sometimes limit only 3 fruit to a cluster but have never tried to grow only one on a vine. I get big pinks and yellow/red fruit up to 3 lbs that from one bloom. I too disregard the fused bloom monsters. What I enjoy the most is taking bags of nice heirloom tomatoes to friends in my neighborhood, the local library girls and my family that lives close by. For me..Mortgage Lifter, Bearclaw, Mr Stripey and Hillbilly get big enough. I also get Cherokee Purple over a pound on occasion. But they will sometime try to set 6 or 7 fruit on one truss and likewise Big Beef so I wait till fruit are present and reduce those to three or four. With seventy plants I don't feel I need to get 30 or 40 fruit from ea plant. But there is no right or wrong way but only however you like to do it!
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #99
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Zero germination on my Mega Marv's, the Terhune's only went 2 of 8, and my Chapman contingent is strong. The two Terhune's are my main hope and the ones that germinated look good.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #100
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
Zero germination on my Mega Marv's, the Terhune's only went 2 of 8, and my Chapman contingent is strong. The two Terhune's are my main hope and the ones that germinated look good.
Too bad about the Mega Marv. Do you have the PL or RL Terhune? Same here with Chapman, strong and diligent. If you have any Mega Marv left perhaps the coffee filter-ziploc-NICU can get them out of their coma.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #101
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

The Terhune's are said to be regular leaf, too early to tell, they're little guys now. No more of the MegaMarv's, too late, but that's okay. You know, I have more problems with traded seed, store bought virtually none. I think most all non-commercial mailed seed gets x-rayed coming into the state and out. Just a hunch.
Old April 15, 2016   #102
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Brutus
Brutus is a variety released to the market by Moravoseed (140) in 2008. To this daythis company has the exclusive right to this variety. Catalogue EU in the Annex.
Vladimír
Hahaha!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2016   #103
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks Vladimir.

To be honest I don't care that much about the country of origin of Brutus, I'm much more interested in the variety itself and the fact that it has had several names that refer to it.

Which is why I hope that Marv stops by and can help me determine if what I have, from the conflicting info I posted above, is what most are calling it now, and that's Brutus Magnum.

Carolyn
Keep in mind I'm only up to page 4 of 7...

Does the "Magnum" part have anything to do with Chuck Wyatt's "Magnum" tomato?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2016   #104
lubadub
Tomatovillian™

Brutus Magnum is an heirloom tomato I got from two brothers in Canada at "The Great Tomato Hunt." The brothers competed with each other every year growing this variety. They told me they initially bought the seeds in a pack at a local store in Toronto and grew them ever since. They had many tomatoes over 5 pounds. The biggest I ever got was 6.25 pounds. "The Great Tomato Hunt" is no more. I still grow Brutus Magnum.
Old April 16, 2016   #105
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Gerardo, it's regular leaf on the Wasilla Terhunes. The trophy is mine, I've ordered cigars for the awards banquet.