Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 15, 2020   #1
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Default Eggplant 2020

This year I went slightly overboard with eggplants, and am not growing any from last year because I was not fully satisfied with any of them, as well as having too many new to try.
I have one plant each on the balcony, from:

Kurume - a long japanese traditional, my seeds come from Daiso in Japan (like a 1 euro shop).
Aswad - seeds from habitat_gardener, straight from baker creek
Mitoyo - same as above
Xi'an Green - very early traditional big fat green eggplant from China, seeds from some company in China
Xi'an Early Purple Jar - big to very big normal shape but not quite dark purple, another traditional variety from China
Green Dragon - quite big green eggplant, longer than Xi'an green but not too long, so kinda normal shape. This I think should be a fixed variety. Again straight from China.

And in a friend's garden, mostly for testing to see what can survive in the colder nights he has (on the balcony the climate is much warmer). Irene F1 (the only repeat from last year, it was the only one that wasn't a tiny stunted plant, a cheap Italian hybrid that certainly surprises with cold tolerance and vigour), Almaz (Diamond) (seems that seeds are wrong or crossed, the plant is very purple looking and it shouldn't), Applegreen, Kashalot (this is again wrong seed, the plant doesn't have any purple, and it should).

The 'traditional' varieties (like Kurume, Diamond, Xi'an ones) are going to have variations depending on the vendor, especially in plant vigour and productivity etc, so hopefully I got some good ones.

Don't have any pictures yet since the plants are still not producing, we had a cold spring and june has been absolutely miserable, rainy with no sun and quite cold and it's continuing that way.

But some notes are that Aswad is in another league to any eggplant I grew, it's just so much more vigurous, also it will be way later to produce.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote