Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 13, 2006   #1
ZBQ
Tomatovillian™

Default Pics of my efforts

This is a look at some of the fruits of my labor this year. The deer have probably eaten their weight in tomatoes so far!!

Hope this works as this is my first try at posting pics.

Kimberly's

Kimberly's, Mortgage Lifter, Yellow Pear and Black Berries

Mortgage Lifter cut

Green Zebra's, Black From Tula, Roma Rio Grand, ML and about 1/4 of my basil

ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2006   #2
dcarch
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoville should have a section called Beginner Growers for people like you and me. Our posts of meager harvest only provide comic relief for the old pros here. They don't understand how happy it can be for us to bring in our first crops of maters which cannot be purchased in your local stores.

Great pictures and nice selections of varieties. I hope you have lots more.

dcarch
dcarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2006   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Neil, looking good. Great pictures! If you have to much venison, bring me a sack full. :-)
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2006   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

My big haul of heirloom tomatoes from my garden this year was 5 Cherokee Purples, two Brandywines, and an Old German. Don't feel bad.

Although my case was poor planning all the way around, I think your case could be remedied with a fence.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2006   #5
travis
Tomatovillian™

ZBQ,

I think those Mortgage Lifters are some of the best looking large tomatoes I've seen posted here this summer. From the good looks of your tomatoes, I can see why the deer find them so attractive.

By the way, your basil looks lush. A couple of questions ... do you fertilize it? And do you always harvest it by cropping it so severely?

Usually, I just keep it topped off to prevent flowers setting seed and maybe clip it back to a place where some side shoots are showing promise. Then strip off a lot of larger individual leaves to get enough for what I intend to do with it ... which is usually take it to a restauranteur friend of mine who grinds it into pesto.

When I do it that way, the plants seem to spring back into growth immediately and I harvest increasing amounts each week over the growing season.

From the looks of it, you must have a substantial planting of basil. That's why I'm wondering about how you harvest it. When I just take off the tops, and pluck of a lot of lower individual leaves, I can extend the harvest from early summer until the night before a killing frost. Then I take the whole plants inside and hang them for dried basil. Just my method ... I'm sure you have an equally good idea.

PV
travis is offline   Reply With Quote