Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old February 24, 2013   #16
Alfredo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Alfredo, Of the returnees on your list, I have grown Virginia Sweets, Aunt Gerties Gold, and Blk Krim. All three had amazing flavor, and did well for me. The fruit from Virginia Sweets were large, but production was a little low.
I have been growing Black Krim for close to 22+ years, and it usually returns to my garden most years. It is one of my fav. blacks, and very productive for me.
Aunt Gerties Gold, was a bit more mild, but still good. The plants kept producing all through fall. I only grew it one time, in 2010, and have not grown it since. Had others I wanted to try.
On your new to grow list, I have grown Kosovo once, but it succumbed to early blight, and have not tried it since.

Lets see, varieties that I have grown successfully, and that are favorites, are some I have been growing since I first discovered heirlooms 22+ years ago:
Aunt Ruby's German Green, Black Krim, Kellog's Breakfast, Brandywine, Black From Tula, Rose, Old German, Rose De Berne, Pantano Romanesco (Returnee), Amish Paste.

Others: Purple Dog Creek (Grown for four years, One of my fav's..Returnee), Thessaloniki, Japanese Black Trifelle (very productive, really great taste), Cherokee Purple, White Current, (love the little sweet fruits, very productive, long vines), Fish Lake Oxheart (Returnee), Aunt Ginny's, Costoluto Genovese, (extremely productive, great canner, love it!), Wessells Purple Pride (very productive), Druzba (very productive, good flavor), Couilles De Taureau (returnee, a real beauty with great flavor), Hege German Pink (Lg pink Beef, productive), Sarnowski Polish Plum, Kenosha Paste (very productive), Carol Chyko, Olayers German, Coustrollee (productive, large), Neves Azorian Red (grown in GH, late, LG, but excellent taste), African Queen (late, grown in GH, Great flavor), Earl Of Edgecomb,(GH..excellent producer), Sierra Leone (GH..Somewhat hollow..Stuffer.) Stump Of The World (GH..Late..excellent taste), Bear Claw, Champagne Cherry (excellent flavor, extemely productive), Coyote, similar to champagne, with fruity undertones ..Thai Pink Egg (grape, very crisp, mild ,extremely productive all season), Tesse's Land Race Current (Very tall vines, small cherry red fruits, tart/tomato flavor, extremely productive,) Indian Stripe, Eva Purple Ball, Sandul Moldovan (excellent tomato, my darn chickens enjoyed them also , Rebecca Sebastians Bullbag, Black Mt Pink, Crnkovic Yugoslavian (GH..Great flavor, productive), Giant Sicilian paste, excellent production, large, prone to some disease late in season.., Ludmilla Pink Heart, Lillian Macjejewski,

I have grown many more..But these all did pretty well for me, most years. Sorry for any mispelling of names..I am typing without my reading glasses..

Ginny
Wow you've grown a lot of tomatoes. The German Pink and Costoluto Genovese (definitely great for sauces, and canning as you mentioned) I've grown before a couple years ago. A really beautiful tomato to grow as well...very ornamental. I have to look into some of those others you mentioned. Thanks ~Alfredo
Alfredo is offline   Reply With Quote