Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 29, 2007   #1
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Default Something ate my tomato....

I see the afids in the pic and will be getting something to KILL them. I have a bottle of "ready to spray" 7, will that work? I see it lists some type of afids but since I dont' know what type I have I don't know if it will work or not...

What do you think would have cause this damage?

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007   #2
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Soapy water will kill the aphids, no need to spray 7 on them.

Hard to say what caused the big gash, but it looks like it happened quite a while ago. Is that the only damaged fruit?
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007   #3
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcday View Post
Soapy water will kill the aphids, no need to spray 7 on them.

Hard to say what caused the big gash, but it looks like it happened quite a while ago. Is that the only damaged fruit?
O.K. on the 7, one it's label it said I could only use it a few times per growing season anyways...

Yes, it's the only fruit damaged. I thought something had eaten it because of all the tiny little holes in the surface of the gash.

Do afids cause any real problems anyways?
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

That fruit is deformed from something other than a critter that ate it. I get rid of aphids by using an ant trap (they bring the aphids) and diatomaceous earth. If you do a search on aphids here at T-Ville, I think there was a thread or two about them.
Old May 29, 2007   #5
bcday
Tomatovillian™

Aphids can sometimes cause the leaves to look puckery, which can be annoying to the gardener. Otherwise I don't usually notice any damage to tomato plants by aphids and I don't bother with them unless there are a lot of them.

The only real damage I see is on other kinds of plants like roses where sometimes they are so thick on the growing tips that you can't see the stem, all you can see is a big gob of aphids. When that happens, the growing tip might die back a little.
bcday is offline   Reply With Quote