Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 14, 2014   #46
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Since I have to cut back the number of varieties, I think I'm going to ditch all the red ones (kinda boring) and gravitate towards the yellows and blacks. A few greens are always welcome, and pink ones. But if I want reds, I only have to visit any of my local supermarkets and I'm taken care of
Ditching the boring reds is good. You might consider growing some of the Oranges (e.g., Persimmon) and the Yellow-Orange striped (e.g., Copia)
Old December 14, 2014   #47
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Yes, there are several oranges on my list - it'll be a challenge to make the final choices.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2014   #48
bower
Tomatovillian™

I'm stoked about orange tomatoes too! I quite like the ' beta' orange toms I've tried so far, but I want to try some of the classic 'tangerine' gene tomatoes to compare... oranges are on my grow list for sure!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2014   #49
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just got Sweet Ozark Orange in a swap, and in looking it up I found a great thread here that mentions several orange tomatoes: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=30024&page=3

I would be like to be able to tell market customers next summer that all of my tomatoes are heirlooms. Now that I have Big Beef OP, the only other hybrid I would miss is Orange Blossom F1 from Johnny's. Flavor and yield were both tremendous, and the fruit were fairly uniform with no catfacing, which is important for a market tomato. I guess I need to start saving seed and make an Orange Blossom OP
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2014   #50
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
... I would be like to be able to tell market customers next summer that all of my tomatoes are heirlooms. ...
The good news is that for consumers there are many definitions of "heirloom" that will pass. If a person or corporation gets into large quantities though, here in CA they need to be wary of Ag lawyers from other corporations. The definition that meets muster with the law is "off patent and reproduces true from seed" -- the latter meaning reproducing true in isolation with identical plants of the same cultivar.
Old December 15, 2014   #51
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

So even though i am probably getting a million varieties from tormato's mystery swap i yet again bought more seeds. Along with the rapunzel F1 from tgs i also bought mountain merrit F1 vffn and orange russian 117. Then i went down the wormhole to good mind seeds and bought gargamel F2 , dwarf shadow boxing, sofie's choice, and hahms gelbe topftomate. Then i went on over to the secret seed cartel and bought coeur de boeuf jerusalem, kiss the sky, margaret curtain, muddy mamba, and morado de aretxabaleta. I realize i have a problem but for me it is a good problem to have. Has anyone grown any of these varieties?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."

Last edited by heirloomtomaguy; December 15, 2014 at 12:51 AM.
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2014   #52
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
So even though...
It's ok. There were years that I was growing 50-60 varieties among trees in my fruit orchard. For some of us, it cannot be helped. It is an internal urge like climbing mountains. I've done that too, but the real personal satisfaction came in the former. I truly believe you'll be better for it.
Old December 20, 2014   #53
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

New orange for me in 2014 was Peg’s Round Orange. Really nice looking tomatoes with complex taste that linger. Unexpected for orange tomatoes. KY variety.

I am a big fan of black tomatoes, my fave this year were Cherokee Chocolate, Sara Black, JD's special C-tex, Vorlon, Berkeley Tie-Dye Heart, and Bl. Cherry.

Pinks are emerging slowly. I tried many varieties. The taste varies, production is on the low because most are late varieties, for me. Eva Purple Ball was super productive but the taste was not outstanding just good. Purple Dog Creek in 2013 was loaded, in 2014 gave 2 tomatoes. Many pinks just not as good as black tomatoes. My new fave is Grandfather Ashlock. It is pretty early and taste is in the top, enough to compare with black tomatoes.

In yellow category I may grow Claude Brown’s Y. Giant. Below is it production in ounces:
34, 29.5, 11.9, 11.1, 9.4, 11.8, 11.9, 8.5, 5.5, 2.4 = 136.0
Sweet Sue was really good tasting dwarf variety
Grew few years ago Azoychka and Taxi. Did like them. Early.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2014   #54
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
So even though i am probably getting a million varieties from tormato's mystery swap i yet again bought more seeds. Along with the rapunzel F1 from tgs i also bought mountain merrit F1 vffn and orange russian 117. Then i went down the wormhole to good mind seeds and bought gargamel F2 , dwarf shadow boxing, sofie's choice, and hahms gelbe topftomate. Then i went on over to the secret seed cartel and bought coeur de boeuf jerusalem, kiss the sky, margaret curtain, muddy mamba, and morado de aretxabaleta. I realize i have a problem but for me it is a good problem to have. Has anyone grown any of these varieties?
Now I'm in the wormhole of your bubble mailer removing about 6 varieties from this list.

I've tried Sophie's Choice... very good for a very early (<55 dtm).
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2014   #55
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Now I'm in the wormhole of your bubble mailer removing about 6 varieties from this list.

I've tried Sophie's Choice... very good for a very early (<55 dtm).
Sorry i figured margaret curtain and a few others were requested so much that there was no chance of them being left for the swap. Now i will wait to buy any more until the mailer comes.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2014   #56
AprilMayJune
Tomatovillian™

I think I'm gravitating towards more paste tomatoes this year. We love all kinds, but we've been struggling to use up or give away everything each year and with paste tomatoes it's easier for me to just feed them through the food mill and freeze or can for sauces and soups. Kind of boring, but I'd rather not waste my hard work if I can avoid it. I also love having a whiff of summer on hand in my freezer in the dead of winter.

I also need to come up with a better proactive strategy for dealing with blight and septoria this year. I still got a ton of tomatoes last year, but my plants would have done way better if I hadn't let disease get out of control. I also need to stay on top of powdery mildew, since I got basically zero squash last year.
AprilMayJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2014   #57
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilMayJune View Post
I think I'm gravitating towards more paste tomatoes this year. We love all kinds, but we've been struggling to use up or give away everything each year and with paste tomatoes it's easier for me to just feed them through the food mill and freeze or can for sauces and soups. Kind of boring, but I'd rather not waste my hard work if I can avoid it. I also love having a whiff of summer on hand in my freezer in the dead of winter.

I also need to come up with a better proactive strategy for dealing with blight and septoria this year. I still got a ton of tomatoes last year, but my plants would have done way better if I hadn't let disease get out of control. I also need to stay on top of powdery mildew, since I got basically zero squash last year.
I almost 100% am leaning the same way as you. Our neighnors get overwhelmed by all the tomatoes we give them and they are completely suspicious of all the purple/black ones, bicolor ones and anything ugly... lol. BUT.... they love the homemade salsa and sauce dishes we bring to the parties. So we are still going to grow the large purple/blacks because those are so good in the sauce but also growing opalka and some hybrids for production that we can cook down with the purple/blacks.

Also I need to figure out a way to stay on top of the septoria and blight better too. But growing plants year round makes it hard to keep it under control.

Ginny

Last edited by Fiishergurl; December 20, 2014 at 12:15 PM.
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2014   #58
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Also I need to figure out a way to stay on top of the septoria and blight better too. But growing plants year round makes it hard to keep it under control.

Ginny
I had never thought about plant diseases/molds/funguses/etc. in areas where it doesn't get really cold. With no off season...wow.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2014   #59
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I grew Mozkorra Aretxabaleta = Morado Aretxabaleta= Rosado Aterxabaleta= Borracho Aretxabaleta and Aretxabaletako larrosa. One of the best beefsteak tomatoes this year.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2014   #60
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Can anyone spare some Indian Stripe PL? Seems nobody sells them. Have some stuff to trade will send list.
I'm growing mostly pastes and sauce tomatoes this year, and will be growing some OP cherry tomatoes. I would like to grow more, but room is a problem.
I still have not decided what pastes. I was thinking a mixture of OP and hybrids.
Since all are red, the cherries will be other colors. i was thinking Purple Bumblebee, Snow White. and Blue Gold Berries.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote