Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 12, 2015   #1
dsafety
Tomatovillian™

Default Mid-Summer Plant Die-off

I have been growing spectacular tomatoes in the San Diego area for many years. Most seasons, my plants thrived, with some continuing to produce into February.

For the past three years most of my plants, (18 varieties), were robust and healthy throughout the spring and early summer but started to die off in July. By August, all but a few were dead.

Many other gardeners in my region have reported the same problems. One "expert" told me that he thought that the higher than normal heat and humidity that has existed for the past three years could be the cause. He said that the tropical climate that we have been experiencing prevents the tomato plants from transpiring.

Does anyone have an opinion on what could be causing this problem? More importantly, I would really appreciate suggestions as to how to prevent the die-off next year.

Thanks, in advance
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #2
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Describe the symptoms your plants are experiencing. Stems turning a bronze color? Leaves turning yellow, then brown and crinkly? Starts from the bottom and works its way up?
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2015   #3
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Succession planting and treating all plants like determinates has helped me to harvest continuously.

I haven't noticed a "die off," but I've definitely seen dramatically reduced yields as the indeterminate vines age and face August-September.

Then again, I've only been doing this for 4 years, so I guess my "normal" is what has made your plants struggle. Could it be that some of them are semi-determinate?

My solution: cull 'em after the 5th-7th cluster, refresh the mix, and place new guests in the real estate.

The humid may/june and unusually hot summer will be married to an unusually wet winter if the predictions hold.

Get some new plants in there, there's still time for some halloween tomatoes!

And about the tropical climate-transpiration explanation...no comment.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2015   #4
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Most of my plants except for a few cherries were dead by mid August. I cut the stems of several of them and it looked like cotton inside. It seems like it may be some kind of vascular disease.

For the first time I planted a fall crop in early July. The plants are now producing and seam healthy and vigorous (except for two out of about forty). The problem doesn't seam weather related to me at least for my tomato plants.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote