Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old October 15, 2015   #16
MendozaMark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I have done that before but next year I am going to plant things in both beds I could eat every day and or are expensive at the store.
Or I can freeze, pickle or can and still like.
Okra carrots and beets fit the bill perfectly.
Beets and carrots in the winter and okra in the summer.

Worth
I am really sorry to hear about the pepper plants dying.

What about doing peppers in containers next year ? You could start with fresh soil, then either over winter the peppers or recycle the container soil as a start to another garden bed. A few years ago, now would be the time to pick up bags of soil for pennies on the dollar. Not sure about that anymore as the stores have better inventory control or store it for next spring. You could always add another bed with fresh soil too.
MendozaMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2015   #17
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendozaMark View Post
I am really sorry to hear about the pepper plants dying.

What about doing peppers in containers next year ? You could start with fresh soil, then either over winter the peppers or recycle the container soil as a start to another garden bed. A few years ago, now would be the time to pick up bags of soil for pennies on the dollar. Not sure about that anymore as the stores have better inventory control or store it for next spring. You could always add another bed with fresh soil too.
I still have a big pile at the end of my driveway I bought 10 yards some time ago.
I have no idea why I planted peppers there this year.
The only pepper plants I will grow in a container is going to be the red rocoto and orange manzano.
I haven't found the reds ones yet so no seeds yet.
I want to cross the two and see what I get.

Plus I have an acre to mess around with.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; October 15, 2015 at 02:49 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #18
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Frustrating as all get out, isn't it. From what I can see in pic, looks like you have some white fibrous roots growing, but looks like bottom of main rootball is in bad shape.

I would guess either a critter. Mole, vole, groundhog. Reason, I think underground critter is cuz you said they skipped the hot.

There can also be another reason. I know you been planting and growing for a long time, but I wonder if for some reason your soil may have shifted just enough around creating a large enough air pocket at the base of the plants. It doesn't take much to create even a small air pocket that can cause a type of sudden death to plants too.

Hope you can figure it out Worth. Maybe by next year then we can have sw. banana, bacon, chocolate peppers.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2015   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Frustrating as all get out, isn't it. From what I can see in pic, looks like you have some white fibrous roots growing, but looks like bottom of main rootball is in bad shape.

I would guess either a critter. Mole, vole, groundhog. Reason, I think underground critter is cuz you said they skipped the hot.

There can also be another reason. I know you been planting and growing for a long time, but I wonder if for some reason your soil may have shifted just enough around creating a large enough air pocket at the base of the plants. It doesn't take much to create even a small air pocket that can cause a type of sudden death to plants too.

Hope you can figure it out Worth. Maybe by next year then we can have sw. banana, bacon, chocolate peppers.
Thanks for the input but I have it figured out.
There is no air space the bare roots is because the outer bark slipe do to the root rot.
It is chili wilt caused by my way above average wet spring.
It didn't skip the hots, I was going to put up a diagram with plants and the route but didn't.
Here is an explanation in words in one bed I had one banana pepper with a gypsy on both sides.
Farther down was two hot cayenne peppers.
They died in the order that i listed them.

In the other bed the banana was in the corner and surrounded by habanero and poblano peppers then jalapenos and gypsies.
It killed the banana first then the habs and poblano then the gypsies jalapeno last.
Some peppers are more resistant to the disease than others.
I have no idea what the variety the jalapeno peppers are.
Two are still alive and the soil is dried out.
I am done with growing jalapeno peppers they never get very big.
The reason I grew the plants this year was to see how well they grew compared to the years before after redoing the soil.

I have also came to the conclusion the the disease either came in by the wind or was already here.
Not by the banana peppers.
My reasoning is I dug up the one wild pepper in the bed and moved it way away from the other plants and it died too.
It was being watered by the rain and my sprinkler system.
My mother wild pepper has been watered one time this year and is still as happy as can be.

Worth
Old October 23, 2015   #20
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Glad you figured it out. I have seeds for the Mammoth Jalapeno if you would like some to grow.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2015   #21
peppero
Tomatovillian™

I have also some in this same way. Strange

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2015   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Glad you figured it out. I have seeds for the Mammoth Jalapeno if you would like some to grow.
Thank you Starlight, I dont even know why I bought the stupid plants anyway with the price of jalapenos at well below a dollar a pound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppero View Post
I have also some in this same way. Strange

jon
jon when I first looked pictures up and people were saying too much water I shut the water down.
I was skeptical about it because they didn't show any of the tell tale yellowing of leaves.
Then after the water was shut down they kept croaking one by one.
Darnedest thing I ever saw in a garden.
I really wanted 8 foot tall poblano plants.

Worth