Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 2, 2006   #1
feraltomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Odd coloration from disease?

This is a photo of a Red Brandywine from last year. Just came across the photo and it reminded me that I wanted to ask about it. It is a very different type of coloration, not like a standard bi-color, I often get tomatoes with blotches but on a smaller scale, and they seem to be caused by disease or pests.
This one almost looks like paint was spilled on it.
There was also lots of normal RB growing around it.
Any ideas? Thanks
Brad.....
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...s/100_1864.jpg
feraltomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Looks like Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus is a possibility; what did you notice on the plants themselves? Any leaf rolling, wilting at tops of plants, and/or stunted plants?

As to the fruits -- Any faint signs of spotting on green fruits? Are the patches ever raised, or does the surface of the fruit remain perfectly smooth?

Here's some pics of TSWV that you might want to have a look at:
http://www.ento.okstate.edu/ddd/diseases/tswv.htm

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HS200
(go down to Figures 30 and 31-click to enlarge)

Or it could just be Blotchy/uneven ripening -- but I'll wait to hear more back from you on the above.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #3
feraltomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I dont remember seeing anything wrong with the plant, all fruits on this plant had similar fruits. Skin was smooth, no sunken spots, and it did not deteriate quikily.

Possibly caused by thrips. I hate those things, it says they can infect young starts, any advice on wiping thrips of the face of the earth?
Thanks Suze, Brad
feraltomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2006   #4
Suze
Tomatovillian™

any advice on wiping thrips of the face of the earth?

Heh... no. :wink: But it's probably a good idea to pull affected plants as soon as you spot problems, especially considering the vast numbers of plants you're personally dealing with.

(Have a good weekend, it's plantin' time for me.)
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2006   #5
angelstiger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I dont remember seeing anything wrong with the plant, all fruits on this plant had similar fruits. Skin was smooth, no sunken spots, and it did not deteriorate quickly.
Is it definitely disease? Could it be some wierd color variation?

I ask out of curiosity. Knock on wood, the only problems I have ever had, disease/insect, is EB And BS and were easily erradicated with fungicide/copper spray. So I don't have much knowledge on the whole disease subject.
Old March 4, 2006   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Brad,

I'm Sorry but I haven't been reading here so I'm late on the spot, but here's a couple of idfeas.

Your photo is large with detail enhanced, but I can think of two conditions that might explain those yellow colorations.

One is Cloudy Spot, which is caused by stinkbug bites, and yes, the fruits on one plant can appear to have it while others don't, especially if the plant in near the edge of the field.

My second suggestion is a condition called Gold Fleck which is not well understood but appears to occur when two things are in place, high temps and rapid fruit growth.

You can Google both Gold Fleck and Cloudy Spot and take a look for yourself. Neither are infectious diseases.