Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 12, 2011   #1
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Default How to save okra seeds?

This is my first year growing okra. I have some beautiful pods on my Louisiana round green velvet okra that look ready to pick. My question is, can I save seeds from these or do I have to let them sit on the plant and get "old" before I will have viable seeds. These seeds were hard for me to find, so I want to save them and need to know when they are viable and if there is any special process for saving them. Thanks in advance.
lurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Let the last of the pods dry out and then collect the seeds.

I just save them in Ziploc bags.

No real special treatment for them I can let the things go to seed and till them up, The next year they will sprout any time they get moist.

I had to use round up on 40 acres of them to get them killed off for a pecan grove.
Even then they would come back every year.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #3
lurley
Tomatovillian™

Thanks worth! I wasn't sure how it would grow here in zone 5 but here is my first harvest today. my next question is, does this look like the variety I planted? Louisiana round Emerald green velvet? My first time growing it so want to make sure it looks like the right variety.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1313176701407.jpg (88.2 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1313176757625.jpg (68.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1313176836995.jpg (62.2 KB, 37 views)
Old August 12, 2011   #4
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

It looks just like Louisiana green velvet to me. I dont know where the round part comes in.

This is my favorite Okra to grow.
If you keep it watered and fertilized the pods will grow fast and be tender up to 6 inches or so.

Contrary to what some people have said on this forum Okra is a mallow and kin to the hibiscus it likes a moist fertile soil.

Just let the pod mature and dry out on the plant at the end of the year to collect seeds.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2011   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have been saving my okra seed for a few years. I wait til the end of the season and let the pods grow really big and stay on the plant til they are dry. Make sure to pick them as soon as you see any splits in them or most of the seed will fall out on the ground as the pods split open. Once they turn brown or gray and look pretty dry it is better not to let them get rained on too much so if rain is forecast then go ahead and clip them off. After I pick them I let them dry for a few more weeks inside and then break them and spill the seeds into a container to keep til the next year.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2011   #6
lurley
Tomatovillian™

So I'm guessing out of this harvest, 2/3 is too large and will be tough. Will have to pick more often and get smaller ones in the future. Any good use besides compost for the large ones? Think the chickens will eat them?
Old August 14, 2011   #7
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Looks good. I will be saving a lot of seeds from my hill country red okra.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2011   #8
TexasSue
Tomatovillian™

I save my seed like 54Red above does. Let them grow big,they will start looking dead and then pick the pod before it splits open ... If you get a chance try Cowhorn okra as its also a heirloom like Louisiana Green . I LOVE Okra with my Maters !!
TexasSue is offline   Reply With Quote