Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 4, 2019   #196
shule1

(Ignore my last post, which didn't take all your criteria into consideration.)

My favorite pink beefsteak is probably cross between a stabilized Brandy Boy and an unknown RL variety. It was an accidental cross from the breeder's garden. I grew the F1 last year, and am growing 8 F2s this year. Although it had good flavor (a little acidic), it was for the other traits that it was a favorite:
* Heat-tolerant (I grew it in black plastic in a hot year; so, it was extra hot, and one of the few not to complain)
* Drought-tolerant (I hardly watered it)
* Large fruits
* Very prolific
* Early (not just for a large tomato)
* Robust plants (but not super enormous; I'd say the plants are a normal size)

The F2s are looking good, and most of them set fruit as fast as the early tomatoes. I'm not sure when they'll be ripe, though. It looks like they'll be large-fruited again. They're not giant (but they are large; maybe up to ~1.3lbs).

Although you didn't ask for seeds, I can give you plenty of F2 seeds, if you're interested. If you want some F3s next year, I plan to save a lot of seeds, again.

I'm comparing it to the uncrossed Brandy Boy F10, this year (as well as to the F1), but they both sprouted late (so, I don't know how easy the comparison will be).

One trait (in the F1, anyway) that you may or may not like is that the fruits are very firmly attached to the stems. So, please harvest with scissors. They'd make an excellent trellising tomato for that reason, I think. The skins probably aren't as delicate as those of Brandy Boy, from what I've heard about it.

Pink Cheeks is another favorite, and although I wouldn't call it early, it's quite early for its size. Very tasty. Prolific. Sprawling bush habit (kind of like Maglia Rosa there, but bigger). Fruits mature quickly after setting (but they take a bit to set).

Malinovoe Chudo is another favorite. If you like sweet tomatoes like Medovaya Kaplya, you'll probably like it, too (although the taste is more complex and not quite as sweet). It has decent production and fruits can get large. It's fairly early for a large tomato.

Last edited by shule1; July 4, 2019 at 08:23 PM.