Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 29, 2012   #61
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Maybe my memory isn't that good or the subdural hematoma really did rearrange some brain cells, and I know I ran across that pack of seeds that Bama Mater sent me, that I remember with great clarity, and see how "whatever" was spelled on the seed pack, and yes I did grow them out but no seeds were saved, critter damage, but I remember it as a medium sized round red, not sweet, but something like Valiant or New Yorker, etc. with a stronger taste.

Was it Bama who contacted you? If so, his memroy would be better than mine b'c he's the one who sent me the seeds.
No, I've never gotten seeds from him. I'm quite sure we're dealing with two different varieties. The one I have is supposed to be a red cherry tomato that's intensely sweet and that grows on a very tall indeterminate plant. I don't think there's anything wrong with your brain cells- I think your seeds were for Josephine and mine are for Josefina, that's all.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012   #62
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky View Post
Its so nice to be among the crazies and not be the craziest!...................................

I love looking at everyone's lists. Too bad that we don't all live on the same street. It would be one heck of a street tomato party.

Every year they have that tomato throwing festival in Europe, I just cringe.
If we lived on the same street, imagine the party in those terms.
We'd all be trying to catch, not throw!
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012   #63
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Wow so many post since I visited last! Great lsits everyone. It is really nice to see the mixes people put together.

MarkMutt,
Let me know about that Muddy Waters later on. It might be named for the Mississippi, but my father was one of Muddy Water's (the musician) good friends.
What the heck is Mushroom Basket?

Kath,
Thanks to the link on Carbon Copy. I missed that thread somehow.

BarkEater,
You will have to let me know about Sarnowski's Polish Plum. I've thought of growing it.

Lapk78,
Interesting set up. I had no idea cats would try to eat pepper leaves!

Puttgirl,
It is not the size of the list, but the quality!! And you might be saner than some of us.

Stony,
Have you tried Tigrovy? It is a productive red and yellow striped round very neat looking. If you don't like the taste of Green Zebra much, you might like it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky View Post
Its so nice to be among the crazies and not be the craziest!
I love looking at everyone's lists. Too bad that we don't all live on the same street. It would be one heck of a street tomato party.
So true Nicky! I tell Gary I'm not that crazy all the time!
It would one heck of a party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
Here is a list of my seedlings. I submitted an application for a community garden plot, so if I am accepted I will be able to plant everything on my list. Otherwise, I will have a lot of extra tomato plants.
I sure hope you get your plot! Otherwise give plants to people who will let you come visit them, .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigzzilla View Post
Wow, all of your lists sure make what I have started look puny! So far this year I have started 4 of each of the following:

Amish Paste
San Marzano
Roma VFN
Super Beefsteak
Dolly Parton

I got these seeds from SASE Winter Sown and a whole lot more too.
The one thats new to me is the Dolly Parton. Its supposed to be a large red globe type. Has anyone here grown it before, and do you like it?

Seems like I always grow a lot of the paste type tomatoes for canning. I can a lot. I'm always looking for a good paste tomato. Any suggestions for something new for my garden?
Again don't worry about the size of the list! If that's all the space or time you have, then it is good. I would think Dolly Parton would be a big heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktutt View Post
Ahhh, it's nice to be amoung your own kind...

Everyone here belongs at the front of the room!

It is dangerous to look at all these lists though. I had said I was not going to add any new wants for next year, then I started to look at what other people were growing...

It's like when the Cabela's catalog comes... So much stuff you never knew you needed until you saw it.
So true it is nice to be around your own kind. Other people do not understand!
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012   #64
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Mushroom basket is here: http://rareseeds.com/mushroom-basket-tomato.html

Muddy Waters is one of Tom Wagner's releases this year. He described it "Muddy black blue tomato with green flesh. Muddy blue stripes. Was one of my better candidates for The Searching for the Blue Zebra."
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012   #65
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Remy, I can tell you about Sarnowski Polish Plum and Bark can tell you how he met Mike Sarnowski in very upstate NY near the Canadian border if he wants to; he may not want to.

When I was growing plants at Charlies farm I came back a few times a week to check on my plants and one time I saw a whole row of plants with no label and asked Charlie what the heck they were. He said he was given a flat of plants from someone who bought wholesale from him , so planted them out.

The plants were very vigorous and when they set fruit I got really interested. Not really long but shorter, red fruits that came in singles and doubles and a few triples, and the taste was excellent. It's a paste variety but one of the ones that I've grown that really has great taste along with the others that I think have great taste, of which I don't think there are that many.

So I saved seeds, this could have been about 2003 or so, I'd have to check, and asked Sue, Charlie's wife, how I could contact the Sarnowski's for background information, and I did. I wanted to list it in the SSE YEarbooks, which I did, and also offer it in my seed offers, which at that time
were at a different site.

But I did offer Sarnowski Polish Plum seeds here at TV until I think just last year when I deleted everything pre 2007 but also said that if someone was interested in those older seeds, they'd have to look at my previous seed offers here and contact me over the summer to see if I still had seeds for specific varieties.

And I think most of that background info must be at Tania's site, so I'll go there now and post the link if it has that information.

Well, not that much more but enough and why should I go on and on about variety backgrounds anyway.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ki_Polish_Plum

Note that Suze thought very highly of it as well, as noted at that page. I know she also likes Tony's Italian, another paste type, as does Feldon, which I also sent to Suze.
Old March 30, 2012   #66
st3v3
Tomatovillian™

My list for this year:

Better Boy (my old standby)

I'm branching out and trying these heirlooms for the first time:
Cherokee Purple
Clint Eastwoods Rowdy Red
Gardener's Delight

--Steve
st3v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012   #67
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Cherry/Small

Jaune Flammée
Sungold
Black Cherry
Green Doctors Frosted
Red Pear
Dr. Carolyn Pink from Carol - were large last year
Dr. Carolyn Pink from Tania - she says they grew small for her
Brandywine Cherry
Blush
Isis Candy
Medovaya Kaplya
Vince P1
Zima
Roma (just started for a friend, I will not grow them personally)

Black
Black Krim
Noire De Crimee
Cherokee Purple
Spudakee
Indian Stripe
Indian Stripe PL
Pink Berkeley Tie Dye
Brad’s Black Heart
Big Cheef
JD’s Special C-Tex
Gary ‘O Sena
Kumato

Pink
Brandy Boy
Earl's Faux
Terhune
Brandywine Suddeth’s
Stump of the World
Kosovo
Vjerino Paradajiz Sjeme
Brandywine from Croatia
Cowlick’s Brandywine
Dutchman yes
Soldacki - hasn't germinated, still hoping
Todd County Amish
Zapotec

Red

Neves Azorean Red
German Red Strawberry (heart)
Red Brandywine reg leaf
Milka's Red Bulgarian
Ludmilla’s Red Plum
Russian Bogatyr
German Red Strawberry
Fish Lake Oxheart
Russo Sicilian Togeta
Red Penna
Cuostralee
Great Divide

Yellow/Gold/Orange
Lemon Boy
Maiden’s Gold
KBX potato leaf
Aunt Gerties Gold
Orange Minsk
Orange Strawberry

Multi-Color
Captain Lucky F6&f7
Beauty King
Pineapple
Lucky Cross
Ananas Noire

Green when Ripe
Cherokee Green

Now that I have a couple satellite gardens, I have gone crazy. Now... just what do people do with that many tomatoes?
Old March 30, 2012   #68
huntoften
Tomatovillian™

Ok...this motivated me to "finalize" my personal garden list this year. I have started over 100 varieties this year, so paring it down was tough!

2012 Worley Grow List
Red/Pink
Barlow Jap
Momotaro
Neptune
Brandywine Sudduth’s
Brandywine Cowlick’s
Marglobe
Kimberly
Goose Creek
Neve’s Azorean Red
Mule Team
Frank’s Large Red
German Johnson
Arkansas Traveler
Sioux
Aunt Lou’s Underground Railroad
Abe Lincoln
Fritz Ackerman
Bolseno F1
George’s Greek Beefsteak
Van Wert Ohio

Green When Ripe
Green Giant
Absinthe
Grub’s mystery Green
Cherokee Green
Green Doctors
Yellow or Bi-Color
Hazel Mae
KBX
Persimmon
Huang Se Chieh (moon yellow)
Black
Carbon
Cherokee Purple
JD’s Special C-Tex
Ananas Noire
Cherry
Sungold
Black Cherry
Medovaya Kaplya
Matt’s Wild Cherry
Green Grape
Paste
San Marzano
Anna Russian
Sylvan Guame
Prue
Old March 30, 2012   #69
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
No, I've never gotten seeds from him. I'm quite sure we're dealing with two different varieties. The one I have is supposed to be a red cherry tomato that's intensely sweet and that grows on a very tall indeterminate plant. I don't think there's anything wrong with your brain cells- I think your seeds were for Josephine and mine are for Josefina, that's all.
Now that you tell me Josephina is a cherry tomato, I agree, two different varieties.
Old March 30, 2012   #70
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...._Carolyn_Pink

Tam, I think that Tania has done a good job in trying to summarize where Dr. Carolyn Pink came from, and let me go a bit farther.

When I fist grew out the seeds from the SSE member who sent me the seeds for the pink version I got fruits that were larger than what I knew from Dr. Carolyn seeds. I saved seeds, grew them out again and got both small fruited and large fruited plants. Saved seed from the small fruited one separately from the larger fruited ones and same darn thing, so I gave up at that point.

Tania may have not seen the larger fruited ones yet but many others have, which is why when I was listing it that I said I thought the smaller fruited one had the taste closet to the original Dr, Carolyn

Still making sense here?

Darrel Jones says he prefers the small one and I think he said he has it stbilized to one fruit but I could be mistaken on that, and other say they prefer the taste of the larger one, so who knows.

It' reminds me of the situation with the cherry tomato Kazachka. Seeds saved from a plant with black cherry tomatoes will give plants that have the same cherries and other plants will have black mini-beefteaks. Save seeds from the latter and you can get plants with either cherries or mini-beefsteaks.

Andrey was the source of my seeds and when I asked him he said he was getting the same results.

So I posted that info about Kazachka in my seed offer here as well as in my SSE listing for it.

And so it goes.
Old March 30, 2012   #71
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I remember this Carolyn. I just thought it would be interesting to grow a plant from the seed that produced large ones for me last year and some of Tanias side by side and see what happened. My larger ones tasted good, so if they're the same, fine. If they're even better, great.
Old March 30, 2012   #72
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
Now that I have a couple satellite gardens, I have gone crazy. Now... just what do people do with that many tomatoes?[/FONT]
Can, dry, freeze, eat at every meal, give lots away to family, friends, neighbors, local food pantries, senior citizen centers, etc.

I prune to a single stem, too, and when I find a spitter it's gets a month or so to improve but I don't have any qualms about pulling plants either. Sounds ruthless, but wait until you're watering, spraying, pruning, picking bugs, feeding, mulching and picking all that fruit and you'll understand.
Old March 30, 2012   #73
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Now that you tell me Josephina is a cherry tomato, I agree, two different varieties.
Josefina is a cherry- Josephina is the misspelling.
Old March 30, 2012   #74
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

This year I am surrendering a good bit of my space to the quest for some good cherries.

Black Cherry
Matt's Wild Cherry
Sungold F1
Tomados des Comores
Super Snow White
Hawaiian Currant
Cerise Orange

Then there are some to round things out

Jubilee
Mandarin Cross
Cherokee Purple
Amish Paste
Boxcar Willie
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Orange Strawberry
Anna Russian
KBX
Pink Floyd
Clint Eastwood's Rowdy Red
Missouri Pink Love Apple
Coustralee
Hawaiian Pineapple
Giant Belgium
Delicious

Most are new for me.

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2012   #75
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Oh, senior citizen's center is a great idea - I'll have to remember that.