Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 16, 2016   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I'm shocked that you do not know everyone here at T'ville! No, I would not think that it was even possible.

In looking at my seed offer it is also quite difficult to see who had requested the seeds because most people did not respond in the thread, they just PM'd me directly. I in return PM'd them when I sent their seeds out to them. I did keep records so I do know every person that I sent seeds to via my seed offer and the dates as well. I did also send in seeds to the 2015 MMMM. I will have to ask Gary if anyone else sent in seeds for Daniel Burson.

mrdoitall's seeds were sent out on 3/9/16. Daniel Burson seeds were the only seeds that I sent out on that day. Therefore the bag of DB was the only bag that I had open on that day. On this end, there was no seed mix up due to multiple seed packs being open so it may be a cross or an error on his end. We will see if anymore RL leafed plants show up.

I myself will be starting 20-25 seeds of DB. I will be doing this to check the leaf type and to have a few plants for myself.
So you are starting 25 seeds of DB, well here's what I'm going to do.

I had made out a list of the ones that I wanted Freda to grow for me in the backyard, and have changed that list several times ,and Rob was here today,he's the one who raises my seedlings for me.So we went to the back room and I pullled out all the ones I wanted seedlings for,he wanted seeds for others I didn't want, we both wanted some of the same ones,and so tomorrow I have the daunting taske of packing up one pack for seeds for both of us for each of those,different packs for ones just for me,and different packs just for him.

All to say that DB is one we both want,I talked him into it,so this will be the first time,other than when Bill had it in that experimental section and I saw pictures in the Fall feedack thread andcomments,that I'll actually be able to taste it.

And yes,I'm using the seeds that Bill sent to me,so it's all good.

One problem though since someone sent me something he had bred,wanted me to see what I thought of it, so I started thinking about dropped fruits,and birds making off with the seeds,or deer or racooons or whatever making off with some seeds and why am I so woried?

Because he not only warned me, but he said he trusted me completely that no seeds would go astray and I told him he could trust me.I explained this to Rob who will be raising the seedlings and he said of course I could trus him, since if he ever let loose with the seeds he said he knew I would NEVER give him any seeds forhimself again.

A done deal,we shook hands,and both laughed.

Carolyn, actually Rob is a Tville member.For several years he sold seedlings and fruits at different farmer's markets, but is doing something different now,but still wants to grow some tomatoes for family and friends.
Old May 7, 2016   #32
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn I hope that you and Rob enjoy Daniel Burson as much as I did last year. It was one of those that I would eyeball every day to see if I could eat one all by myself. This was one tomato that I coveted and would not share not even with my beloved daughter!

As far as getting regular leaf plants from these seeds, I just do not see it. I know that I said that I would start 25 seeds to check the leaf types, but I started 40 instead. Of 40 seeds started 40 germinated. One was a helmet head and perished. All of the 39 remaining plants have potato leafed foliage. So of the 100 or so seeds that all of us have started, only one person reports to have regular leafed plants. Given that, I am pretty certain that the seeds are true.

Now I just have to find homes for most of these plants.......
Old May 7, 2016   #33
travis
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Miss S.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #34
mrdoitall
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Carolyn I hope that you and Rob enjoy Daniel Burson as much as I did last year. It was one of those that I would eyeball every day to see if I could eat one all by myself. This was one tomato that I coveted and would not share not even with my beloved daughter!

As far as getting regular leaf plants from these seeds, I just do not see it. I know that I said that I would start 25 seeds to check the leaf types, but I started 40 instead. Of 40 seeds started 40 germinated. One was a helmet head and perished. All of the 39 remaining plants have potato leafed foliage. So of the 100 or so seeds that all of us have started, only one person reports to have regular leafed plants. Given that, I am pretty certain that the seeds are true.

Now I just have to find homes for most of these plants.......
Just so you know I do suffer from Dislexia. I also have very bad eyesight. With that said. I first said that I had 2 Regular leaf and 1 potato leaf Daniel Burson. But it was 1 Regular leaf and 2 potato leaf Daniel Burson. The day I started the Daniel Burson seed I got from you. I also started 3 Bella Rosa tomato seed. Also 3 Rampo tomato seed... But that is all the seed I had out at the time. I will grow the 3 plants out and see if we can figure out what the regular leaf plants is. Also I will not trade the Regular seed or the potato seed Daniel Burson seed from my plants. It has to be a mistake on my end. With all the other growers getting Potato leaf plants... If it was a cross we all would be getting RL and PL plants. I will let you know what I discover later in the year. Thank again for giving me the Daniel Burson tomato seed.

Dwight
mrdoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #35
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

Just want to say that although I will not be planting out until the end of May, the plants are very healthy. They remind me of IS in that they are not as tall, and are quite stocky. My ISPL plants are growing slowly as well, but that is a characteristic I am now used to.
Can't wait to grow out DB!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2016   #36
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
Thank you, Miss S.
Your Welcome Travis! I had to be sure that I did not send out crossed seeds of your "babies". I would have felt terrible as I had taken great care to ensure that what I sent out was what you had created. I feel much better now as I am sure that you do as well...

Dwight, I know quite well the trials and tribulations of having Dislexia. I have a Dislexic Aunt and sometimes life can be a comedy when she has been around. One needs to have a great sense of humor in order to live with this condition.

Sharon I grew ISPL right along with DB last year. Needless to say that DB was the stronger, better tasting and producing plant.
Old May 8, 2016   #37
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Sharon I grew ISPL right along with DB last year. Needless to say that DB was the stronger, better tasting and producing plant

$$$$$$

That doesn 't surprise me at all.Consider the parentage of IS RL and ISPL,and compare with the parentage of DB and I think you'll see where I'm coming from.

Yes, I am growing DB this summer but I know IS RL going back to 2003 and have grown it many times for former SSE listings and seed offers and IS PL came along not that many years later.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Indian_Stripe

So what's left for me to do is to see how I like DB, and knowing the parentage I know I will and fingers crossed it's a good summer since the last three have been terrible and Freda pretty much gave up taking care of my plants for me.

Carolyn
Old May 8, 2016   #38
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My DB plant is the least vigorous among all the darks (BFT, CP , IS , AN>>) But its healthy and stocky. I am anxious to see how she and the other ones will do in my garden, with regard to production and taste.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #39
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Mine are in the ground looking good and some have blooms. I have Chr. Purple, ISPL, Choc. Stripes, and Daniel Burson all in the same row for comparison.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #40
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
Mine are in the ground looking good and some have blooms. I have Chr. Purple, ISPL, Choc. Stripes, and Daniel Burson all in the same row for comparison.
I think it's good to remember that that first accidental cross was between Daniels PL,and that's where the PL part of Daniel Burson came from and then Indian Stripe,I didn't check, but I assume the RL one, Bill will correct me if I'm wrong,that he will, I'm sure of it.

I don't see how Cherokee Purple or Chocolate Stripes fit into your camparison project,maybe I'm wrong,so please let me know about that.

Carolyn
Old May 9, 2016   #41
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Just to see if any "black" tomatoes beat ISPL for us based on tast/production. I try to grow all the same colors together so I know conditions are the same. That way if one sucks I can mark it off the list permanently.
Old May 9, 2016   #42
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just to see if any "black" tomatoes beat ISPL for us based on tast/production. I try to grow all the same colors together so I know conditions are the same. That way if one sucks I can mark it off the list permanently.
Above you said

(Mine are in the ground looking good and some have blooms. I have Chr. Purple, ISPL, Choc. Stripes, and Daniel Burson all in the same row for comparison.)

See posts maybe 16 and 17 in this thread where epidermis color determines what color a fruit will be,well there's a bit more about that,but not for now.

Indian Stripe,whether RL or PL has a clear epidermis so it isn't a black

Cherokee Purple has a clear epidermis so it isn't a black

I refer to so called blacks as Pink/Blacks or Red/Blacks,so most pinks are not blacks,and red/blacks,which have a yellow epidermis such as Carbon,Black Krim,etc.

And Chocolate Stripes?Weird parentage and referred to as a bicolor

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...colate_Stripes

Hope that helps a bit,

Carolyn
Old May 9, 2016   #43
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I'm no scientist Carolyn so I tend to just go by looks, I would never have time to keep up with all the epidermis colors and what color a tomato really is. I take the route of if it looks like a black it is a black. My groups go black/red/yellow/GWR/and bi-color. I stop it there since my customers and I would get really confused if I started labeling based on epidermis color. I can just here the million questions now I'd also add that so far most every black I have grown has had the same flavor profile, For example Chr. Purple, ISPL, Carbon, and Paul Robeson all taste very similar to me.
Old May 9, 2016   #44
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm no scientist Carolyn so I tend to just go by looks, I would never have time to keep up with all the epidermis colors and what color a tomato really is. I take the route of if it looks like a black it is a black. My groups go black/red/yellow/GWR/and bi-color. I stop it there since my customers and I would get really confused if I started labeling based on epidermis color. I can just here the million questions now I'd also add that so far most every black I have grown has had the same flavor profile, For example Chr. Purple, ISPL, Carbon, and Paul Robeson all taste very similar to me.
Relax, I'm not going to ask any questions of you at all, but there are many here who are interested in knowing about tomato genes,what they do and when,and what happens if there's a mutation, and on and on.

Taste is in the mouth of the person tasting the fruits and since that works for you,no reason to change that.

And from my earlier post I just remembered that the IS Travis used might well have come from Victory Seeds and he said it was darker in color than a typical light pink of IS. He also said above that Daniel Burson was not a black tomato and described the color as best he could and I think he used the color mahogany..

Carolyn
Old May 9, 2016   #45
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

So far I haven't seen enough evidence to make me want to grow this one.The thread is about a month old and one person has grown it and loved it and Carolyn seems to be very excited about it although she has never tasted it.

Doesn't someone else love it?Or hate it?I would love to see more opinions.Since it has been around a while and been offered before, I would assume more have tried it.
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote