Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 1, 2014   #1
AprilMayJune
Tomatovillian™

Default Top-down wilt - am I definitely doomed?

I have one Aunt Ruby's German Green that, just in the past day, has begun to wilt at the very top of the plant. Yesterday I thought it was most likely due to high temps and needing to be watered -- it was just about to storm so I just waited until the rain rolled through. It got a good soaking all last night and it's still wilted at the top -- not terrible, but limp for sure.

All of my other plants, including two heirlooms whose containers were practically on top of this one, look fine. The rest of the Aunt Ruby's plant looks beautiful and is loaded in flowers...the top is the only part that looks sick. I have about 20 other tomato plants and see no sign of disease on any others at this time.

What I'm reading online is not encouraging. Am I really looking at a tear-down for this plant? It looks so pretty, it's so depressing to think it's going to have to be ripped out. I moved it away from the others for now, not that that is going to do me much good one way or the other...
AprilMayJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014   #2
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Are you sure a worm hasn't severed the top part of the stem? Or perhaps a rambunctious bird breaking it? If the rest of the plant looks good, maybe you are OK.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2014   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

I had this happen to one of my plants, Black Cherry, early this year. I cut if off a good foot below the wilting part and it came back just fine.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2014   #4
AprilMayJune
Tomatovillian™

Well I have upgraded my plant's condition from Grave to Fair...I'm not sure how or why but the wilting seems to have diminished and the plant looks pretty good...bit of a mystery. I'm going to keep a watchful eye on it and see what happens.

I think I can rule out water/lack of water since that didn't seem to affect its wilting at all, but possibly temperature had something to do with it? It was extremely warm and humid a couple of days ago, and now today it's going to barely crack 60. No clue. I guess I'll have to wait and see how the next few days play out.
AprilMayJune is offline   Reply With Quote