Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 9, 2013   #31
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

http://www.mendingshed.com/completefoodstrainer.html

Orderd, thanks Scott, seemed the best way to go.

Paul R
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2013   #32
gnol
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R View Post
http://www.mendingshed.com/completefoodstrainer.html

Orderd, thanks Scott, seemed the best way to go.

Paul R
You guys get all the good toys. I would love a motorised one.
gnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2013   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If I ever get one I'm going to put one of these on it.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2013   #34
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

We should call you Tim the Tool Man! LOL
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10, 2013   #35
Paul R
Tomatovillian™

Worth1, I'm IN if this project gets off the ground.

Paul R
Paul R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2013   #36
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I made some ketchup yesterday and used the old Kitchenaid mixer with the attachment to remove the skins and seeds. Worked well enough, I made a few quarts (3) .

It still takes forever to simmer it to a thick enough consistency though. I wish there was a way to remove some of the water before starting the cooking process.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1969.JPG (77.8 KB, 148 views)
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2013   #37
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Charlie,
Freeze them first if you have the space. It bursts the cell walls. I made 3 quarts of sauce (cooked down) over the weekend and drained 2 full quarts of tomato water out of them first. Cuts the cook time almost in half.
I quarter them, lay them on trays, and either bag for later or if I am making sauce, throw them in a colander over a big pot.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2013   #38
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Thanks James, I'll try that if I can make space. I'm short on freezer space and I ordered another freezer, but it won't be delivered 'till Oct, 7th or 8th, I forget which. At any rate, this will be a step I'll be adding to my tomato processing in the future.

Getting back on topic; I'm liking the the price on the Victorio W/motor pkg. http://www.mendingshed.com/completefoodstrainer.html If I didn't already have something that did the job, I would definitely get one.
Old September 24, 2013   #39
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

bake them in the oven for 30 minutes
antichevarieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2013   #40
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichevarieta View Post
bake them in the oven for 30 minutes
That sounds good, too. At what temperature?
Old September 24, 2013   #41
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
LDx4, I hope you're happy with the Victorio, I do wish the plastic cone that helps filter the skin and seeds was a bit more durable, but overall, I'm really happy with it.

antichevarieta, polish linguisa does look like it would be a nice sauce tomato, is the plant prolific? This year one of the sauce tomatoes I'm growing is Costoluto Genovese, does that plant like to put out fruit! You've inspired me to roast some tomatoes this weekend. "Crepi il lupo" to you!

tlintx, this is so much easier that peeling by hand. Now, if they only had a machine that peeled roasted peppers.

ChrisK, I read the reviews on Amazon for the Victorio, B2B & the Roma, looked to me like more people were happy with the Victorio than the competition.
yikes..so sorry..i just saw your question..polish linguisa is great, very prolific.
here in italy i use about 70% tomatoes especially for passata such as polish linguisa, san marzano...and cook them with large beefsteaks that i have already sliced and baked in the oven to get rid of the water and also intensify the flavor. Even while you are cooking this mix of tomatoes, it is still important to keep ladeling out the excess water.
Also, heres a great tip for conserving..no need to boil the jars...after you have "passed" the tomatoes through the machine and have your sauce, boil it, fill the canning jars, turn them upside down and leave them in place for about a week.
this is what the italians do!!
Old September 24, 2013   #42
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

here in italy i use 200 to 250..so i guess that is about 350 to 400...you have to watch them...so they do not burn.....lower temp would mean more time in the oven..see my notes below..i have been making Passata for 5 years now
Old September 24, 2013   #43
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Charlie,
Freeze them first if you have the space. It bursts the cell walls. I made 3 quarts of sauce (cooked down) over the weekend and drained 2 full quarts of tomato water out of them first. Cuts the cook time almost in half.
I quarter them, lay them on trays, and either bag for later or if I am making sauce, throw them in a colander over a big pot.
here in italy we never never refrigerate let alone freeze tomatoes...please see my notes for making sauce and getting rid of the excess water. good luck to all..i just put up 25 liters
Old September 24, 2013   #44
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by antichevarieta View Post
yikes..so sorry..i just saw your question..polish linguisa is great, very prolific.
here in italy i use about 70% tomatoes especially for passata such as polish linguisa, san marzano...and cook them with large beefsteaks that i have already sliced and baked in the oven to get rid of the water and also intensify the flavor. Even while you are cooking this mix of tomatoes, it is still important to keep ladeling out the excess water.
Also, heres a great tip for conserving..no need to boil the jars...after you have "passed" the tomatoes through the machine and have your sauce, boil it, fill the canning jars, turn them upside down and leave them in place for about a week.
this is what the italians do!!
roast them over a gas flame while slowly turning...the skin will blister and peel..is very fast.
Old September 24, 2013   #45
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

In another thread here where sauce making is being discussed, Brokenbar posted that to get rid of excess water in the tomatoes, she runs them through the food mill, then let the purée sit (I think she said overnight) and the pulp separates from the liquid. In case the link doesn't work, the thread is called "Lets-talk-sauce!" and it's in the General Discussion section - http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=29521

I know I'll be trying it next year as I prefer to cook the tomatoes as little as possible before canning, but I still want the final purée to be as thick as possible.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote