Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old October 18, 2008   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default county fair cuke

this is the only bacterial wilt resistant cuke that i know of. it is 1 hard mother to find! i googled it and found a few seed companies that appear to sell it.

gurnsey/thompson & morgan seem to sell it. are they the same company? based upon things i have read about thompson & morgan and their tomato seed stock/renaming varieties issues i would never buy any seed from them.

park sells it and i am working on that.

nichols is out

territorial seeds are not listing it and i bought it from them in 2006

backyardgardener.com says they sell it but i got redirected to gurney once then i got redirected to thompson & morgan and they say sold out. not even clear if this company is in washington or the uk, confusing emails with them.

reimer are a rude and snotty business - i'd never buy anything from them based upon recent emails these past couple of days!

so like does anyone grow county fair? where do you buy it? i need seed for the 2009 season but to buy 1 packet only (because these companies don't have the other 4 things i want) is killing me on s&h, much more than the seeds like 2 or 3 times the cost!

tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

this is the only bacterial wilt resistant cuke that i know of. it is 1 hard mother to find! i googled it and found a few seed companies that appear to sell it.

Tom, check out Diva at Johnny's as well as Marketmore 76 I forget where in terms of bacterial wilt tolerance ( not resistance). For a small cuke I prefer Cool Breeze to County Fair and I've not had wilt problems so far.

But Cucurbit wilts are not just confined to bacteia since Fusarium and some viruses can also cause wilts as transmitted by the spotted or striped cuke beetles.

I moved to growing Japanese and Armenian cuke varieties many years ago b'c I never saw them come down with any wilts at all. Somthing to consider.

Can give you some variety names if you want them.
Old October 19, 2008   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i meant to say but forgot that i grew diva for a couple of years and it did better than any other cuke, up to that point. then the 3rd year it produced poor yield, plants died, just terrible, so i dumped diva and tried county fair.

w/o a doubt county fair out performs anything. yields are immense. plant health is absolute, the plants die in the 3rd week of september and that is acceptable as the weather is cooler and the sun is very weak by then.

i have grown many different cukes over the years. from 1992 to 1998 at other house i did not have bw problems and i was pleased with all the different varieties i tried, many had huge yields. but from 1999 here at new house, bw has been a big problem. any variety other than diva and county fair produce initially for 10-14 days and then the bw starts and the plants start to die. yield drops and in about 15-20 days all plants are dead.

for this reason i have been hesitant to try anything other than county fair especially after diva let me down. i really love cukes even tho they have little taste but they are so sweet, crunchy and juicy, just love them. i could use that clay based spray (surround?) but it needs application after every rain. i trellis cukes so covering with floating row covers is not practical, trellis is 8' long and about 6' 6" high. one side is pole beans the other cukes.

i really want county fair, if it ain't broke don't fix it. if there were other varieties that are bw resistant like county fair i'd try them but from what i know county fair is the only one.

so either i'd like names of other bw resistant cukes or a seed companies that sell county fair.

tom
Old October 19, 2008   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here are some methods for controlling the cause of BW, the cucumber beetle. Ami
http://www.ghorganics.com/CucumberBeetles.htm
Old October 20, 2008   #5
kellemk
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Tom, check out Diva at Johnny's as well as Marketmore 76 I forget where in terms of bacterial wilt tolerance ( not resistance). For a small cuke I prefer Cool Breeze to County Fair and I've not had wilt problems so far.

But Cucurbit wilts are not just confined to bacteia since Fusarium and some viruses can also cause wilts as transmitted by the spotted or striped cuke beetles.

I moved to growing Japanese and Armenian cuke varieties many years ago b'c I never saw them come down with any wilts at all. Somthing to consider.

Can give you some variety names if you want them.
I would be intrested in names of Japanese cucks that you have grown. On a whim this year I planted 1 suyo long cuck (only one that came up). It was late but did not seem to be bothered by the cicumber beetles so I thought I might try more next season. Another one that was not bothered by the beetles was Sikkum. It was planted with Diva and another variety and it was the only one that survived. Was blossoming right up till frost.
kellemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20, 2008   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellemk View Post
I would be intrested in names of Japanese cucks that you have grown. On a whim this year I planted 1 suyo long cuck (only one that came up). It was late but did not seem to be bothered by the cicumber beetles so I thought I might try more next season. Another one that was not bothered by the beetles was Sikkum. It was planted with Diva and another variety and it was the only one that survived. Was blossoming right up till frost.
i grew these at my other house and i do not have the garden documents that i have kept here so i don't know the names. if i saw the names of some long thin types i might recognize the name. i grew at least 2 maybe 3 or 4 long japanese type cukes at the other house and they were all good. none of the cukes i grew at that location ever were bothered by bw so i had no idea that bw even existed. here, for whatever reason, bw is a major problem. i am 8 miles south of the other location, 1 town over. even the 1st year or 2 here i do not remember this being a problem but about 6 or 7 years ago it started. this is the 4th (or 3rd?) season growing diva or county fair. i just would not bother with any other variety as they are doomed to die.

well i decided to just buy county fair from park seed. the seed is cheap and the s&h was reasonable. county fair is worth paying for so even tho the seed with shipping cost $4.70 and frankly i'd pay $5 just for the seed alone since it is all i can grow if i want cukes all summer! it's worth it.

tom