Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 30, 2016   #1
old_drummer
Tomatovillian™

Default 1/2 55 gal drum

I have a 55 gal drum split in half and was considering using it for tomato plants this coming season. These are not self-watering. Curious as to how many plants (presumably) a 27 gal container could accommodate. The plants could be Ind or Det as I don't have support scheme thought up yet
Seems like I could get a couple in there anyway...
old_drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #2
maxjohnson
Tomatovillian™

It's more limited by space, since they are 22inches in diameter I guess you can only put two plants max, on opposite end. Some people even do just one.

However, it does have 27 gallon. If you do square foot gardening method and prune the plants so they only grow single stem, which people do for cherry tomatoes. Then you can fit in 4 plants and have room for herbs. Sweet Million seems to be a good choice for this method since it is productive.

Last edited by maxjohnson; January 4, 2017 at 10:46 AM.
maxjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #3
old_drummer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjohnson View Post
It's more limited by space, since they are 22inches in diameter I guess you can only put two plants max, on opposite end. Some people even do just one.

However, it does have 27 gallon. If you do square foot gardening method and prune the plants so they only grow single stem, which people do for cherry tomatoes. Then you can fit in 4 plants and have room for herbs. Sweet Million seems to be a good choice for this method since it is productive.
Thanks! Perhaps the shape of Earthtainers (being longer) would be better. Still like to find a good use for them.
Sweet millions are on the grow list.
old_drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2017   #4
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

What little I've heard of Mr Wilbur. He uses these half barrels.Fills with his compost mix . He's the guy that grows super tall Indeterminate s by selecting just 11 stems....my best guess is that each stem is assigned to one vertical wire of the tomato cage. He stacks the cages well secured with hog something, name eludes me. With well fed hybrid he produces record pounds of tomatos. That's the story anyway.....I didn't verify this beyond the details in a Utube video and confirmed a book. Seems he could supply a great soil mix as a base and supplemented.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote