Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old April 16, 2012   #1
Goldie
Tomatovillian™

Default container soil

I want to sell some flowers and plants at my next yard sale, I have lots of yellow flag iris and daylilies to divide. Does anyone have some advice on finding pots and what soil to use.? How do I decide what price to put on them?
Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2012   #2
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Goldie, I go to lots of garden sales that are for the benefit of non-profit organizations. We have at least 5 of them in April and May.

All of the plants are donated from people's yards, and all of them just use dirt from the yard. Not one of them has come to me in potting soil or compost. Lots of them even come in mud and plastic bags, though those are usually tubers or strawberries.

I get my pots from local nurseries that have a pot recycle place in back. Call around and see if you can get any. Every nursery around here that has overwintered plants has been potting them up to get higher prices for older plants, if they don't sell them on the mark-down table.

Neatness counts big for me. The labels really make a difference to me. If there's a variety name on them, I'm willing to pay more. I figure that they've been taken care of better than stuff that folks are just trying to get rid of.

Price is dependent on what I'd pay for it at the nursery. Hate to say it, but 1/4 to 1/3 of the price is what I expect to pay.

HTH,
j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2012   #3
Goldie
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, that helps a lot. I figured about 1/4 for the price, but hadn't thought about the lablels. Thanks for the tip an where to get pots
Goldie is offline   Reply With Quote