Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old June 11, 2013   #1
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Default My brandywines got reeeeally thursty... Chug! Chug! Chug!

I know the weather has been heating up in TX requiring more watering in general, but I refilled my 18 gallon earthtainer (where my brandywines live) to the brim yesterday. Strangely today the flag showed that the reservoir was empty!! I checked for cracks and leaks (found none). So it seemed my brandywines decided to "funnel the keg" and they didn't invite me to the party (figures!). I've never seen them use so much water before. I've even gone a couple weeks without having to water and usually only need to top them off each week, so I'm shocked that they drank the whole reservoir in one day.

The brandywines look happy as can be, so I'm not really worried about their health- just a bit perplexed on how they could have chugged so much water in one day.

Anyone else have that happen?

Last edited by Vespertino; June 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2013   #2
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

The volume of water large plants go through in the heat is crazy! Don't be shocked if you end up needing daily refills!

Dewayne M
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2013   #3
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Phew! Ok. Good to know it's normal.

I think I might see if I can attach a hose to my kitchen sink and drag it to the patio. There were lot of trips back-and-forth to the sink and the earthtainer fill pipe using a dinky half-gallon container to carry the water.
Old June 11, 2013   #4
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, my experience with hot summers is that containers, either SIPs or regular containers that drain well, need daily filling/watering. And that's in the NE......can't even imagine dealing with Texas summers!
Old June 12, 2013   #5
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

It was 98 today, I think... A bit muggy too.

I'm noticing some of my more improvised SIPs aren't as water-efficient as I hoped, the earthtainers are much better overall. I have a SIP full of basil that I'm constantly filling up, it's almost as if the SIP isn't providing an advantage over regular watering at this point.

The brandywines weren't very thirsty today. I wonder if tomatoes have moods.
Old June 12, 2013   #6
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Yep, tomatoes have moods like you asked, here in my area by the coast I can have different containers requiring different amounts of water daily. You will find it changes alot so make sure you are checking your containers on a daily basis so your mix doesn't dry up.

How big is the SIP for your basil? Basil does drink alot and when the heat is up you can expect to water often as well.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #7
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Ok, good to know I know I'm not crazy! My sungolds are as easy going as hippy passing around a joint, and the brandywines swing between thirsty and abstinent when it comes to water.

I'd guess the basil SIP pot is around 3 gallon size, it's growing like a weed and LOVES this humid heat, but it's certainly my thirstiest plant of them all.

I do a check twice a day, I have water level flags on all of my sips to make it easy. I like how easy it is to rig a SIP to have a water-level flag so there's no "ooopsies".

Tags
earthtainer , watering tomatoes