Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old December 25, 2015   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default What are "bark fines?"

I'm trying to be a bit more scientific with my EarthBox mixes this year, and whenever I see formulas for container mixes, I usually see "bark fines" listed. Frequently as "unsifted." Where does one buy these? Are they available at "big box" stores, or does one need to run bark chips through a shredder or such? (I can do that!) What size qualifies as "fines?" Cedar chips or something else in particular?

Hope someone can shed some light on this for me!

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #2
rudylr
Tomatovillian™

Pine bark fines,pine bark nuggets, miny nuggets. they come in bags usually by the bags of mulch. I bought a bunch of it at menards. Run it through a one half inch screen and take the big pieces and run them thru my leave blower vac. A little bit of work but at 3 or 4 bucks a bag its a cheap ingredient in your mix. The bigger pieces help with drainage. I am going to add it to my old mix from this year and make new mix with it and peat moss and perlite.
rudylr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #3
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

I also buy the pine bark nuggets at Menards. I run all it through my hammer mill with a 2cm (3/4in) screen on it.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #4
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

I asked for a hammer mill for Christmas and didn't get it. Maybe I can run over the bags with the pick-up or something, then screen it. I'm liking this and the floor-dry idea, clean media stretchers.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #5
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
I asked for a hammer mill for Christmas and didn't get it. Maybe I can run over the bags with the pick-up or something, then screen it. I'm liking this and the floor-dry idea, clean media stretchers.

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

Old December 25, 2015   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I use the large nuggets(pine Home Depot) for the yard(bare spots,dog runs etc.Breaks down nice,BUT if left in bag too long ants love to nest in the material.Our nuggets come from Georgia and have encountered some new critters that came along for the ride.Home Depot does have Fine Bark Fines at $9.99/4 Quarts,online only for me here.In a pinch they have some nice clean Orchid Pine Nuggets which I use for top dressing on the wifes"Pinterest"plants,flowers, some peppers hanging herb baskets etc.Wish I could find some large bags of fines for a nice growing medium mix,but since we wiped out all of our natural pine forests here there is none available at a decent price.Here below best deal I have found yet for amounts and hygiene.

http://www.amazon.com/Triple-Process...DZC5A9ZB17W1MS

Last edited by kurt; December 25, 2015 at 10:31 AM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

A # 42 meat grinder with the right sized plates would work fantastic.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #8
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

That meat grinder might be a bit slow...
What about cypress? I've seen some cedar and cypress (Uncolored) mulch listed at HD that looks like it would take minimal additional processing.

And speaking of further processing (shredding), I'm thinking that a lawn mower with the bagging attachment might work pretty well. Actually, my shredder may have a bagging attachment, also -- but it is 10 HP and big!

-GG
Old December 25, 2015   #9
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
That meat grinder might be a bit slow...
What about cypress? I've seen some cedar and cypress (Uncolored) mulch listed at HD that looks like it would take minimal additional processing.

And speaking of further processing (shredding), I'm thinking that a lawn mower with the bagging attachment might work pretty well. Actually, my shredder may have a bagging attachment, also -- but it is 10 HP and big!

-GG
I would only use pine bark. The shredder should do the job. I think a 10 HP would be perfect.
Dutch

Old December 25, 2015   #10
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Revealed to me in another thread is pine bark is slightly acidic, in the 6PH range. So, I'd think countering salt build-up from fertilizers would be an attribute.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #11
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Here's another that is sometimes touted -- cocoa shells. Anyone tried that? And how about hardwood bark fines? We have really good sources for that here in central IN.

Looks like so far, pine bark fines are preferred, but I'd like to get opinions about other options.

-GG
Old December 25, 2015   #12
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Pine bark fines are more common because that is what most of the saw mills cut no other reason.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25, 2015   #13
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Some info on other type mediums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Here's another that is sometimes touted -- cocoa shells. Anyone tried that? And how about hardwood bark fines? We have really good sources for that here in central IN.

Looks like so far, pine bark fines are preferred, but I'd like to get opinions about other options.

-GG
There is a lot of interest in Wonder Soil.I use it myself for seed starting,cloning and some microgreen trays.There is a post/thread here on Tville somewhere.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...highlight=soil

http://wondersoil.com/
The pine bark fines have some very good nutrient,mulching,water retention,aeration qualitys.
Your best Bonsai/Orchid growers cherish these qualities.Good clean,washed fines are hard to come by in large quantitys,I would love to get enough for some large scale potting mix regimens.
http://www.epicgardening.com/hydroponic-growing-media/

Last edited by kurt; December 25, 2015 at 03:37 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2015   #14
captnkirk
Tomatovillian™

This may be what you are looking for http://cypresscreeklandscapesupply.c...ne-screenyd-2/ .. They also have the mini nuggets but from looking at the pics i think the fines are the better size.
captnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2016   #15
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Today I needed to stop at Menards, so while I was there, I looked at their Pine Bark Mini Nuggets and also their Cocoa Shell Mulch. Of the two, and just based on physical size/shape, it sure looks like the cocoa shell would work extremely well in a container mix. I asked before, and got no takers, but let me ask again a different way. Has anyone heard anything bad about cocoa shells in a container mix?
I understand that there is an issue for using them as mulch if you have dogs around, but using them in a container mix certainly poses no risk to animals. Anyway, I have a fenced yard, although that doesn't stop the racoons!
I think I'll try some of each in my EarthBox mixes this coming summer, assuming I hear nothing bad about the cocoa.
-GG