Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Old February 24, 2016   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default what can I grow now and questions about planting dates

I relocated from northern Michigan to central Florida; I live in Brooksville, which is about an hour from Tampa, and the growing zone here is 9a.

Below is a list from a planting chart I found for Florida; here is the site I found it at...

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh021

Arugula Sept-March

Beans (pole/bush) Feb-Apr; Aug-Sept

Lima Beans Feb-March; Aug-Sept

Beets Sept-Feb; Broccoli Sep-Feb; Brussels Sprouts Sept-Feb; Cabbage, Sept-Feb

Cantaloupe Jan-Mar

Carrots Aug-Mar

Cauliflower Sept-Feb

Celery Sept-March

Chinese Cabbage Sept-Apr

Collards Sept-Feb

Corn Jan-Apr

Cucumber Jan-Mar; Sept

Eggplant Jan-Feb; Aug-Sept

Endive/Escarole Aug-Feb

Kale Sept-Feb

Kohlrabi Oct-Mar

Lettuce Sept-Feb; Mustard Greens Sept-Feb

Okra Feb-Aug

Onions, Bulbing Oct; Onions bunching (scallions and shallots)

Peas, English/Snow Nov-Feb

Peas, Southern Feb-Aug

Peppers Jan-Mar; Aug-Sept

Potatoes, Irish Nov-Feb

Potatoes, Sweet Feb-Jun

Pumpkin Mid-July

Radish Sept-Mar

Spinach Sept-Mar

Summer Squash Jan-Apr; Aug-Sept

Winter Squash Jan-Apr; Aug-Sept

Chard Sept-May

Tomatoes Jan-Feb; Aug-Sept

Turnips Sept-Feb

Watermelon Jan-Mar

Are the planting guidelines for the 'chart' (for lack of a better term) that I typed accurate? I am new to gardening Florida, so I don't know how accurate the chart is.I have no experience gardening in FL, and the planting times with FL are completely opposite of that in Michigan; as a result the chart is my only guideline with planting times in FL right now.

I also have a question regarding the planting times. Pepper plants as an example; it says to plant them Jan-March. Now does this mean the latest they can be planted is the beginning of march.

Or, does this mean I can plant them at any point during March, or do they have to basically be in the ground at the very start of March? This question would apply to any of the vegetables listed that have the same planting times listed in the chart. It would also apply to any vegetables that don't have the Jan-Mar. planting dates (i.e. squash says Jan-Apr.; again does that mean they can be grown at any point thru April or do they have to planted at the very start of April).

I also would like to know what are the best things to plant right now for FL. (i.e. what I can plant that will do well and I can get a decent harvest from).

Last edited by aimeruni; February 24, 2016 at 04:21 AM.
Old February 24, 2016   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

That UF Ifas list is really quite on target. We have to plant when it is cooler here. About the only things you can get to produce in our summer heat and humidity are okra and chard. Its really too late to set out tomatoes. I garden in 10b so my timing on things is different than yours, so I am not that good of an advisor, but really the timing on the Ifas list looks just right.
I trust UF Ifas Edis.

Why not talk to the owner of a smaller local garden shop. Home depot and Lowes will be worthless for that.

Pepper plants can be planted up until end of March, they tolerate heat, but most of the others, I would go with beginning of the month.
Old February 25, 2016   #3
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for your input and taking time to post to my thread, I am very grateful for this.

Based on the Planting chart I posted on the initial post on this thread, I am guessing I can grow these things now?

Corn
Napa Cabbage
Swiss Chard
Zucchini
Peppers
Beans

I had a question about the peppers. You said they could be planted through March until the end of March; is this just hot peppers? Or would this be both hot peppers and sweet peppers?

Also one other thing. I am planning on growing the stuff in 4' x 8' raised beds. How many bush bean plants could I grow in a 4' x 8' raised bed using 6" spacing without overcrowding them? I've tried looking on the internet for this information, and can't find anything.

I am a little confused about row spacing in a raised bed. I know in the ground you use row spacing partially so you have room to walk around the plot and tend to your plants. However I also know you use row spacing so there will be good air circulation around the plants.

That being said, should I just reduce row spacing between plants in a raised bed and not eliminate it? Since I wouldn't have to worry about space for walking around tending to plants I'd reduce the row spacing by half; would this be okay, or would it be too close together for the plants?

Thank you for your time and help.
Old February 25, 2016   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I hope others will chime in, but I think you might have a better result copying and pasting this into th " Hey Fellow Floridians" thread, where there are many other Florida growers that most likely are in your area and also grow in raised beds. I grow only in Earthboxes due to our nematode infestation. I am sorry I can't help you more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimeruni View Post
Thank you for your input and taking time to post to my thread, I am very grateful for this.

Based on the Planting chart I posted on the initial post on this thread, I am guessing I can grow these things now?

Corn
Napa Cabbage
Swiss Chard
Zucchini
Peppers
Beans

I had a question about the peppers. You said they could be planted through March until the end of March; is this just hot peppers? Or would this be both hot peppers and sweet peppers?

Also one other thing. I am planning on growing the stuff in 4' x 8' raised beds. How many bush bean plants could I grow in a 4' x 8' raised bed using 6" spacing without overcrowding them? I've tried looking on the internet for this information, and can't find anything.

I am a little confused about row spacing in a raised bed. I know in the ground you use row spacing partially so you have room to walk around the plot and tend to your plants. However I also know you use row spacing so there will be good air circulation around the plants.

That being said, should I just reduce row spacing between plants in a raised bed and not eliminate it? Since I wouldn't have to worry about space for walking around tending to plants I'd reduce the row spacing by half; would this be okay, or would it be too close together for the plants?

Thank you for your time and help.
Old February 25, 2016   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Also Aimeruni. May I suggest you change your location in your profile?
Old February 26, 2016   #6
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Can you please give me the link for 'hey fellow Floridians thread' I looked and I can't find it.

Thank you for all your help you've given.
Old February 26, 2016   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Here it is
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ght=Floridians