Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 7, 2016   #16
twillis2252
Tomatovillian™

I am also getting low production from Straight 8's. Last year I grew Sumter and Northern Pickling and harvested several five gallon buckets of cukes. Next year will revert back to the tried and true...
twillis2252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2016   #17
MrSalvage
Tomatovillian™

I have only picked 4 cukes from my burpee str8's. Flowers all over the place just no cukes. I will not plant these ever again!
MrSalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2016   #18
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

I have 2 sets of straight 8s that are going nuts! I have so many that I been giving them away. Guess I must have just gotten lucky this year?
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2016   #19
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I used to grow Straight 8's after one year of excellent production and taste. Several years after, just a few cukes and they were bitter.

I switched over to Marketmore and even better I planted North Carolina Pickling cukes and had 4 plants in each 3 gallon pot. I let em sprawl and had cukes everywhere. I been eating the pickler ones like regular cukes. Good flavor. Tastes like the big ones.

Only problem I had was so many vines and leaves even with pinching some of the vines back that I would some cukes and they would get big and fat and almost to yellow color, but were still yummy.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote